ACID Pro v10 - now has STEM MAKER

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
So I got this email today from Magix, telling me I could upgrade an old copy of 'Acid' to the latest version for $79. I have had this program for ages but never really messed with it. It was part of the Sony music stuff, like Sound Forge and Vegas, and somewhere along the way they must have had a special and I bought it but my good intentions of getting into it never happened.

But in that offer email, they listed some of the new features, and one in particular interested me - the software now included STEM MAKER from zynaptiq. Since there have been a lot of newer programs coming out with these stem extraction tooks, I figured I'd check it out and see how it worked. The verbiage claimed incredible results.

So I got it and checked it out. Well, it does work. However, it only returns stereo Vocals, Drums and Other. That's it. I would not work on a 24/96 wav file, but 16/44 was fine. I pulled up a Paul Simon wav file I had on my PC "Stranded in a Limousine" and ran it. It took almost 5 minutes to extract the stems.

The "other" sounded really flangy, a bit more that Speeter or Acoustica. I wasn't really feeling well enough to proceed, but just wanted to pop in and post this.

Anyone else use this program? Anyone tried the new version?

Acid Stem Maker 001.jpg

Acid Stem Maker 002.jpg

I'm right behind you with ACID version 9.0! As you know Sonic Foundry gave way to Sony and then MAGIX. I figured they would concentrate on VEGAS as their bread & butter. Then out of nowhere, 18 months ago(?) they announced new versions of Sound Forge and ACID! My main interest was the upgraded handling of VST plug ins so that I can use Keyscapes and Reason in combinations with ACID.

I share skepticism (and lack of experience) with spectral editing; the stems feature is interesting but if the quality is as you portray above. I'd not spend much time with it. What I want most from MAGIX is support for saving MCH FLAC files. I can open and tweak 4.0 / 5.1 files but can only save as STEREO FLACs? I can save the results as multi-channel WAV files but really want to save them as FLAC.

I hear you Tim. Sonic Foundry was a great little company, scooped up by Sony, then passed over to Magix. I started with Sound Forge 4.5 and today I'm at 14, I think I got every upgrade along the way. When Vegas came out, it was two products, Vegas Video and Vegas Audio. I got the Audio. It was what I used to record in Q8's and Q4's and even today I still use Vegas for recording that stuff when I do it.

I only tried one wav file with the Stem Maker function, so don't let my poor results at the first go affect anyone's decision. I will try a few more, but like I said, as of that one test, I prefer RX-7 or Acoustica (Spleeter), but I did not do the same wav file in all three.

Something I will eventually do.

And PS. Up until SF 14, it would not save flac files either. They had to be saved as wav or w64

I hear you Tim. Sonic Foundry was a great little company, scooped up by Sony, then passed over to Magix. I started with Sound Forge 4.5 and today I'm at 14, I think I got every upgrade along the way. When Vegas came out, it was two products, Vegas Video and Vegas Audio. I got the Audio. It was what I used to record in Q8's and Q4's and even today I still use Vegas for recording that stuff when I do it.

I only tried one wav file with the Stem Maker function, so don't let my poor results at the first go affect anyone's decision. I will try a few more, but like I said, as of that one test, I prefer RX-7 or Acoustica (Spleeter), but I did not do the same wav file in all three. Something I will eventually do.

And PS. Up until SF 14, it would not save flac files either. They had to be saved as wav or w64

I had reason to be in Madison, WI and visited Sonic Foundry HQ when they still had the programs. Nothing to see here. LOL I had Vegas Audio and about the same SF version and every version of ACID that came along.

My go to audio tool is still SF 10; some of the later version UI changes are too distracting. Maybe you know how to turn off the smaller waveforms progressing above (started in SF11) as you record something? (hate that)

Um, I can edit and save stereo FLACs in SF 10 so that's been around for a while; the multi-channel support would be so sweet. Guess I could change FLAC channel levels in Foobar if I got my head wrapped around that.

Anyone considering purchasing Acid Pro 10 for the Stem Maker function don't do it.
It has been disabled and some companies are still selling it with Stem Maker listed as a feature.

That's really odd. I wonder if somebody threatened a law suit or somethings. I don't see any posts or anything about it being disabled, but it is totally gone from the website.

It was very quietly removed. Vendors that are selling Acid Pro 10 were not informed of the change.
If you have Acid Pro 10 and do an update you will lose the feature.

Back