Air-brushed from history - Columbia revisionists ignore their quadraphonic legacy

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inquadwetrust

300 Club - QQ All-Star
My amazing partner bought me this lovely book which is a beautiful illustrated history of Columbia records. You would think there may be just a little mention of the quadraphonic era in there but you would be wrong. Nothing, not even a cover or passing reference. There are passages which highlight the development of 8 and then 16 track mixing consoles and tape systems, new developments in engineering but not one mention of quad anywhere. Lovely book with gorgeous pictures, I still recommend it but do not buy it thinking you may get some more insight into those golden framed years.

IMG_3337.jpgIMG_3352.jpgIMG_3348.jpgIMG_3344.jpgIMG_3346.jpg

Wow, that's a shame considering all the effort they put into the format back in the day. (Still looks like an interesting book, though.)

Can you or anyone recommend any good books or other reading that does deal with the quad era?

[EDIT: Besides this place of course! :) )

-- Jim

Of all the old labels on the cover, I am shocked that there is no "Potato Heads". Paul Whiteman was famous for the "Potato Head" labels in the 1920's.

Whiteman was one of the best selling artists of his day. The "potato head" label was even used as the front cover of a US LP in Columbia's "jazz hall of fame" series. The "potato head" label was even used on 78's released in other countries, like Australia.

potatohead.jpg

Of all the old labels on the cover, I am shocked that there is no "Potato Heads". Paul Whiteman was famous for the "Potato Head" labels in the 1920's.

My amazing partner bought me this lovely book which is a beautiful illustrated history of Columbia records
View attachment 20423View attachment 20424View attachment 20425View attachment 20426View attachment 20427

It seems a bunch of us have amazing partners. Quad Linda has her Joe. I have my sweetie, who has dutifully bought me both the mono and stereo Beatles boxes, among other things:music. And I know there are others here that have escaped my memory. Maybe this could be a new thread? Quad lovers and their significant, understanding others. Hey QL, I am surprised with all the surround titles your Joe buys for you that he isn't a member here too!

Three of the titles on the albums page depicted are available as SACD's:
Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus
Porgy & Bess - Miles Davis
Rhapsody in Blue - Leonard Bernstein

No mention of hi-resolution either! Also Stoney End was a Columbia Quad LP. You'd think just one cover or record label would have snuck in, the printing here is top notch and the Columbia 'gold' would have really popped.

Wow, that's a shame considering all the effort they put into the format back in the day. (Still looks like an interesting book, though.)

Can you or anyone recommend any good books or other reading that does deal with the quad era?

[EDIT: Besides this place of course! :) )

-- Jim

Jim, I think you summed it up. QQ is the best place to read about it :music

Is it that too many of the executives are still alive today, walking around with burnt fingers, given how much money they must have authorised to be spent on something that they were forced to give up?

When they do reach the pearly gates what is the betting that Saint Peter is clutching a brand new Sony SQD 2020, oh dear me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back