Akai GX-280D-SS control board

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBster

Anyone have info or a link to fixing the control board on this unit? I've searced the forums only finding references that it needs to be fixed. On the unit I just got, the Stop function does not work and so won't let me record. Play and reverse are fine. I just joined this great forum.

I have fixed those boards. What Akai did was to use brass rivets to connect from one side of the board to the other. The rivets tend to expand and contract with changes in temperature. This cracks the solder and breaks the connection. Resoldering the rivets will fix the problem for awhile, but it will return. I usually use solid telephone wire or cat 5 wire to fix the problem. First strip the wire of it's insulation. This is easily done with a pair of dykes. Then feed the wire through the rivet which has a hole through it, and solder the wire to the copper on both sides of the board. You might have to wick up the solder on the rivet to see the hole. If you do, don't bother resoldering the rivet. There are lots of rivets, and you will have to remove some components to get to some of them. They can all be seen from the "solder side" of the board (not the component side). Look carefully, some of the rivets have a heavy layer of solder, and cannot be seen until the solder is wicked away. Usually the land will be a little wider where a rivet exists. Once this has been done for all the rivets, your machine will be very reliable.

The Quadfather

GBster said:
Anyone have info or a link to fixing the control board on this unit? I've searced the forums only finding references that it needs to be fixed. On the unit I just got, the Stop function does not work and so won't let me record. Play and reverse are fine. I just joined this great forum.

Thank You QuadFather. I will do just that when the service manual arrives. May I never bid against You online.

You needn't worry about that. I have my quad collection complete, at least what I want of it, I do very little bidding on Ebay anymore. By the way, when you get your GX280DSS right, you will be very pleased with it. It is very much worth the trouble. The glass ferrite heads wear very little, assuring that GX280DSS machines sound very good still, once other problems are ferreted out. Also the control board problems resulted in a lot of these machines being put into closets, because without knowing the secret to fixing it, the problem would just reoccur. Many folks didn't have the heart to just throw out such a fine machine, so a lot of them still exist with very little wear and tear on them. you will get much enjoyment from your machine.

The Quadfather

Well it's fixed. Thaks for the advice Quadfather. After fixing the rivets it still would not stop. The problem was the Repeat PC board pulling the Play line down. Instead of fixing that I cut the wire from the repeat board going to the play line. All I lost is auto rewind in 4 channel mode. It still auto reverses in 2 channel mode. Thought others would like to know if they have that lack of "stop".

Back