Alan Parsons Project - I Robot "Legacy Edition"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fourplay

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hi All,

I came across a link to Amazon for the Alan Parsons Project - I Robot "Legacy Edition" and figured I would have a look. The "remastered" album is roundly panned by the reviewers, who still recommend the HDAD version for the best stereo rendition.

One reader started a thread asking Why not 5:1 surround? The link is below. There are not many responses, so I will reproduce the best one here:

"Tim Mcdonnell says:

I was fortunate to spend several hours with Alan when he came to Nashville for 2 lecture / demo classes in 2007. The demo was to feature the intricate quad mix of Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon (Time being the prime example) and a couple other major artist tracks in 5.1 surround. Because the facility had an epic gear failure, the 1st group was invited to stick around to hear that demo. Sadly they never got the simple DTS CD playback to work, so a stereo CD had to be played. Alan was not real happy about this situation.

I insert this story as evidence that AP is a quadraphonic pioneer and surround music proponent on a playing field littered with density and confusion. I fully suspect that he has already made a number of 5.1 mixes and needs to get them released properly. Since SONY relented in 2012 to allow high resolution DVD-Audio streams on the ELP discs (two with two more at least coming) there is hope there. If they turned it down, it would be necessary for Alan to have rights to take it to a label with decent distribution such as Pangyric which has done a fantastic job with King Crimson and now Yes and XTC releases starting in October 2013. I hope that Alan gets the chance to put out I Robot in the surround mix it has always deserved."

All discussion can be seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/Why-not-5-1-s...cd_dp_tp_sa_cq?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00DTVVHPO

I remember reading somewhere (QQ?) that Parsons approached his keepers about doing a 5.1 mix on I Robot and they refused to fund the project. I don't have an exact source for that. Anyone else?

Personally I would LOVE to have the first two APP records in surround, and also The Instrumental Mixes (to which I would add the omitted track Hyper Gamma Spaces).

Ken

Amazon currently lists one for a mere $2,004.

In February I got one off Amazon for $45.40 including shipping. That is around the same time the 2K listing started. I can only imagine that people post those insane prices either hoping for a very rich impulse buyer, or to make other high prices look reasonable by comparison.

Ken

Back