Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card (Box Set in Feb 2023, standalone Blu-Ray in May)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great recording this is, one of the best. This is a must for any fan of Alan Parsons.
1686884557286.png

Probably, but these new recordings issued by old people like AP should be mastered with EQ that is for people with perfect hearing...20Hz to 20kHz. For everyone else, tone controls to the rescue.
20k's maybe a smidge ambitious for all of us here but QQ's fruit bats 😋🐿🦇

without wading in too heartily and sticking in both Doc Marten's in the process 👢😱 as mentioned previously on ZZ QQ, i think something or someone maybe getting to mixing up some of these mixes after the mixers have done their mixing but before we get to hear them because there's a kinda bright house (shitehouse) house sound that frankly i can't stand for more than a couple of tunes without having to wretch for the tone it down controls 🧐🤦‍♀️🤮

OK, kids, for ALL OF THE MEMBERS who COMPLAIN about the brightness of the mix, here is a clip that is featured on page 42 of the booklet in the boxset EXPLAINING why it sounds "bright" (yes, I know other MCH releases like Ammonia Avenue have more bass but this was in the wave of the Sony Walkman and they actually used them in certain stores to promote the LP AND also gave them away with the cassette GLUED in the Walkmen as a PROMO!)
ap.jpg

THIS IS THE WAY!

OK, kids, for ALL OF THE MEMBERS who COMPLAIN about the brightness of the mix, here is a clip that is featured on page 42 of the booklet in the boxset EXPLAINING why it sounds "bright" (yes, I know other MCH releases like Ammonia Avenue have more bass but this was in the wave of the Sony Walkman and they actually used them in certain stores to promote the LP AND also gave them away with the cassette GLUED in the Walkmen as a PROMO!)
View attachment 92815
THIS IS THE WAY!
That’s funny! I guess I should get rid of all my speakers and get headphone system or go back to vinyl.

View attachment 92815
THIS IS THE WAY!
that was then, this is now.. ✌🌈☮️🤗

View attachment 92815
THIS IS THE WAY!

"This means that if you play our music through a hi-fi system which is perfect for disco, you will find that insistent bass beat missing."

Interesting quote. But does anyone in our surround sound community have a "disco" based hi-fi system that they use to play this prog genre? When I think of a "disco" system, I think of Cerwin Vega speakers cranking away at high volume and producing head pounding bass. I understand that they are still made.

"This means that if you play our music through a hi-fi system which is perfect for disco, you will find that insistent bass beat missing."

Interesting quote. But does anyone in our surround sound community have a "disco" based hi-fi system that they use to play this prog genre? When I think of a "disco" system, I think of Cerwin Vega speakers cranking away at high volume and producing head pounding bass. I understand that they are still made.
it all feels like groovy information from the kap but a bit of a red herring maybe? 🤔

after all, one would reasonably expect an engineer the calibre of Alan Parsons to create a Surround music mix comprising 4+ channels to sound at it's best when played back on a multichannel system comprising 4+ speakers, not least since that is likely what he would be mixing it all on anyway.. ah i dunno..!? 🤷🏻‍♀️ glad we can do our own EQ moves 🙏🤞🥳🤩

Last edited:
it all feels like groovy information from the kap but a bit of a red herring maybe? 🤔

after all, one would reasonably expect an engineer the calibre of Alan Parsons to create a Surround music mix comprising 4+ channels to sound at it's best when played back on a multichannel system comprising 4+ speakers, not least since that is likely what he would be mixing it all on anyway.. ah i dunno..!? 🤷🏻‍♀️ glad we can do our own EQ moves 🙏🤞🥳🤩
well, I guess that, in the vein of "keeping the MCH sounding as close to the ORIGINAL" he decided to keep it sans EXTRA bass, which is OK with me since the original LP which I have an original LP pressing, sounds this way...and besides, that's what the EQ controls are for!

I went back to school years ago for Industrial Electronics (just your normal DC stuff) and had a job as a bouncer/staff in a rock club. The rock club was renovated into a disco with the lighted dance floor and all, a boatload of Triacs keeping the lights changing. My jeans and T shirt turned into a white dress shirt and slacks.

Anyway at each corner of the dance floor was a large-ish Altec speaker. Don't remember the model but they would CRANK. The 4 speakers were set up just as you would for Quad, facing inwards toward the dance floor.
The job sucked but the sound was good.

well, I guess that, in the vein of "keeping the MCH sounding as close to the ORIGINAL" he decided to keep it sans EXTRA bass, which is OK with me since the original LP which I have an original LP pressing, sounds this way...and besides, that's what the EQ controls are for!
i'm not hung up on the Bass so much, Señor El Kapflap, it's the dreadfully overegged Treble on the MCh mix i don't much care for! 😫
What size decibel drop per octave did you use, Pups?
if it's more than 3dB, that fills me with ennui 🤷🏻‍♀️

if it's more than 5, man alive! 🤦‍♀️

..and if it's 10dB then i'd seek speaker repair and urgent medical attention! 😫🙃😅

Anyway at each corner of the dance floor was a large-ish Altec speaker. Don't remember the model but they would CRANK. The 4 speakers were set up just as you would for Quad, facing inwards toward the dance floor.
If you could see the woofer back in the curved canyon, it was probably an A7 “Voice of the Theater.” they also had a segmented horn mounted on top.

I worked there in the early 1970s. They were built two blocks from Disneyland in those days.

Back on topic, my copy arrived on Friday, along with Ten Years After. I’m swamped at the moment, but maybe I’ll get a chance to give it a spin this week.

If you could see the woofer back in the curved canyon, it was probably an A7 “Voice of the Theater.” they also had a segmented horn mounted on top.

I worked there in the early 1970s. They were built two blocks from Disneyland in those days.
The only VOT speakers I saw up close was back in early 70's. They were massive. These wore big, but not that big. But they may have changed designs, IDK.

Latest posts

Back