Alan Parsons to Release "Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Edgar Allan Poe" 5.1 Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know only 4 of his surround mixes, "Atom Heart Mother", "The Dark Side Of The Moon", "On Air" and "Valid Path",
which is for nearly half century of being in industry almost nothing, but nevertheless some kind of iconic status of
surround guru is following him.
that's pretty strange, given the fact there are others, who achieved in surround sound field way more.

Don't forget the two Al Stewart songs ;-)

It might be because all the stuff he remixed is brilliant (I mean, sound and mix-wise. I know not everybody likes all 4 of these albums, though I certainly do). It might also be because without him, we would have one less Pink Floyd album in surround, and Pink Floyd is sort of a holy grail kind of deal. Plus, for a long time, his surround mixes outshone the other Pink Floyd surround mixes that were available, and Andy Jackson only recently changed this.

i'm not objecting his approach to surround mixing but i can't see him progressing in surround mixing technique without permanent involvement in it.
three of his four mixes aren't bad but nothing which can place them above many others, done by the another different people. but i can clearly see
progress was achieved by SW for those ten years he does surround, comparing his first (and in fact not bad) attempts and latest ones. from release
to release he's doing better and better and seems for him there only sky is limit. actually i'm really lost the count how many surround mixes SW have
done at the moment. perhaps more than 50 and that's says very much.

Hey, I entirely get your point, and honestly, I don't have a better explanation for why people like him so much :)

Personally, I'm thankful to everybody that a) did even just one surround mix in their entire career and b) did it well. Wouldn't have bought "Reckless" or "Legend" if it hadn't been for Bob Clearmountain's mixes. On the other hand, as much as I appreciate Steven Wilson's brilliance, I don't like most of the music he likes, including his solo work. Yes, XTC, King Crimson, none of that vibes with me... And I tried. A lot. I wanted to like it. So the surround lover in me hopes he'll continue remixing for a long time to come, just because I know he's doing an invaluable job for our favourite niche. But there's also that part of me that wishes he'd just get back together with Porcupine Tree to make a new album.

Either way... I'm SO glad "Tales" is coming in 5.1, you have no idea. That album has been at the very top of my wishlist ever since I got into surround music. There's so much potential here, and seeing that all the surround mixes Parsons has done, albeit few, are solid in every respect - I'm overjoyed!

We'll also have to wait and see if A) "Blackfield V" is mixed in 5.1 surround and B) who will be doing the surround mix if there is to be one.
Aviv shared a picture on the Blackfield Facebook page today entitled 'Mixing - Blackfield 5'
Now it obviously has to be Parsons doing the mixing (in stereo, at least) because the picture was of a labeled console, and most of us know that Steven Wilson works almost exclusively 'in-the-box' (aka almost strictly in the digital domain) when it comes to mixing, so let's see where it goes from here! :)

i'm not objecting his approach to surround mixing but i can't see him progressing in surround mixing technique without permanent involvement in it.
three of his four mixes aren't bad but nothing which can place them above many others, done by the another different people. but i can clearly see
progress was achieved by SW for those ten years he does surround, comparing his first (and in fact not bad) attempts and latest ones. from release
to release he's doing better and better and seems for him there only sky is limit. actually i'm really lost the count how many surround mixes SW have
done at the moment. perhaps more than 50 and that's says very much.

Hi Otto, long time m8,:)

If I may add some input. Alan Parsons is acknowledged as one of the world's premier audio engineers, if not for only his amazing catalog of recordings. He is a rare talent in that he produces, records & composes & plays on his records. I suppose he was so busy with his own productions/records that he has not done more pure "engineering" for other artists. He was in his prime when most major recordings were also mixed in quad in the early 1970's. He was a man before his time. Comparing him to Steven Wilson is hard in that they come from different eras. During the rebirth of surround, post 2000, Alan Parsons was involved in touring his band & his music. He never got the approval from the record companies to put out his 5.1 mixes. Can't hold that against him. All I can say is that if things progress and we get Tales of Mystery, I Robot, Pyramid, Eye In The Sky in 5.1 we will most definitely all be blown away.

:nuke

@Matt: You say you are awaiting Tales but earlier you say you don't care for YES. Do you just like only a few YES records? As for Steven's music & Porcupine Tree, I enjoy PT fine but his new band & music are on a whole new plane of existence.

[video=youtube;eEbfBiHYAGY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEbfBiHYAGY[/video]

@Matt: You say you are awaiting Tales but earlier you say you don't care for YES. Do you just like only a few YES records? As for Steven's music & Porcupine Tree, I enjoy PT fine but his new band & music are on a whole new plane of existence.

Sorry, I realize that was a bit confusing. By "Tales", I meant "Tales of Mystery and Imagination". Concerning Yes, in truth, I actually like "Fragile" just enough to own it (thanks to Simon, I now even have the Steven Wilson version :)). But yeah, I never warmed up to any other Yes material, aside from "Owner of a Lonely Heart" (thankfully in fairly good 5.1 on the Mercedes disc).

I do appreciate Steven Wilson's music, mind you! I think there's a ton of artistry in it, and I admire his concepts and ideas. I'm even awed by some of it (esp. "Hand. Cannot. Erase."). But musically, I don't know, it just doesn't get to me enough to permanently add to my collection.

Hi Otto, long time m8,:)

If I may add some input. Alan Parsons is acknowledged as one of the world's premier audio engineers, if not for only his amazing catalog of recordings. He is a rare talent in that he produces, records & composes & plays on his records. I suppose he was so busy with his own productions/records that he has not done more pure "engineering" for other artists. He was in his prime when most major recordings were also mixed in quad in the early 1970's. He was a man before his time. Comparing him to Steven Wilson is hard in that they come from different eras. During the rebirth of surround, post 2000, Alan Parsons was involved in touring his band & his music. He never got the approval from the record companies to put out his 5.1 mixes. Can't hold that against him. All I can say is that if things progress and we get Tales of Mystery, I Robot, Pyramid, Eye In The Sky in 5.1 we will most definitely all be blown away.

:nuke
sure he is. as i mentioned somewhere here earlier, i have all three DVD-As, DTS-CD, DualDisc almost all APP vinyls as well as
bunch of LPs by other artists, where he was involved, albeit they not my cup of tea.
damn, i even do have somewhere his test/hearing examination CD :)
thus i'm very much aware and appreciate his sound engineering talent. what i don't like is to much from him blah-blah on topic
of surround sound and nothing practical.
even when chance came to prove his words, he screwed up (i'm talking about Dual Disc with "Valid Path").
sure i will wait this announced release in surround and cross my finger he wouldn't put it again into mp3 quality, which in fact very much possible.

and what is big difference between him and SW, is that even without being heavy weight category in industry, latest one was and still able to persuade
so many other artists to offer their works for their fans in surround versions but AP, despite all his fame and influence... none.

As excited as I am by this release (I will certainly pre-order it the second it appears online) I am skeptical that this is an indication of the start of an Alan Parsons Project surround series. Alan has stated in the past that the reason why we haven't seen APP 5.1 reissues is due to record company indifference. He is, presumably, talking about Arista. Tales of Mystery is the one album in the APP catalog that isn't controlled by Arista. Universal (who have shown an openness to surround releases) has the rights to it so I would assume that it is more than coincidence that this is the title that we're getting a surround mix of. I would love to be proven wrong and find that this will soon be followed by a 5.1 I Robot, but I'm not holding my breath. Either way, it doesn't diminish how psyched I will be to sit down in my sweet spot and cue this one up.

:music

As excited as I am by this release (I will certainly pre-order it the second it appears online) I am skeptical that this is an indication of the start of an Alan Parsons Project surround series. Alan has stated in the past that the reason why we haven't seen APP 5.1 reissues is due to record company indifference. He is, presumably, talking about Arista. Tales of Mystery is the one album in the APP catalog that isn't controlled by Arista. Universal (who have shown an openness to surround releases) has the rights to it so I would assume that it is more than coincidence that this is the title that we're getting a surround mix of. I would love to be proven wrong and find that this will soon be followed by a 5.1 I Robot, but I'm not holding my breath. Either way, it doesn't diminish how psyched I will be to sit down in my sweet spot and cue this one up.

:music

That is an EXCELLENT point. All APP albums are owned by Sony with the exception of "Tales of Mystery", which is a Universal property (as you have already stated), and as we all know, even within the context of a single catalogue, sometimes the practices of one record company do not translate to another. So if "Tales of Mystery" does come out in surround, it doesn't mean we should expect any others to follow suit, but since it's Universal, hopefully we can expect an HFPA Blu-Ray release along with DVD-A in a box.
Oh wait, it's Universal, we can't expect that. Well if it's DVD-V, then we should at least expect for them to use the right DVD logo.
Oh wait, it's Universal, we can't expect that either… ;)

Great points,until someone provides clarification we can just speculate of the possibilities of more than just Tales of Mystery coming to surround.

The one thing that works in our favor is Alan's cross-genre popularity and world appeal. Bands like YES may not be on big music's radar but the Alan Parson's Project is kinda hard to ignore!

Alan himself would produce & master which saves the project tons of $$$, so a record company is risking very little to put out AP's music.

I'm not a big box set guy, but a 5.1 Box Set of Alan Parson's Project might be the best box set ever!

I'm not a big box set guy, but a 5.1 Box Set of Alan Parson's Project might be the best box set ever!

c'mon, box sets with all kind of stuff scraped from archives and Dollarama, as we see them now, doesn't became popular and demanded product,
other than among those, hard die funs, who feels rich enough to play philanthropists.
i guess previous model of box-sets, similar to ones by Genesis, Talking Heads, Doors, appearing for much wider market and more sustainable in
sales than this new attempt to sell for top bucks bunch of mostly worthless content.
in any case, if they will put 5.1 disc in each box, filled with garbage, there is no way i would buy it and i guess much more of potential buyers will do the same.

I am skeptical that this is an indication of the start of an Alan Parsons Project surround series. Alan has stated in the past that the reason why we haven't seen APP 5.1 reissues is due to record company indifference. He is, presumably, talking about Arista. Tales of Mystery is the one album in the APP catalog that isn't controlled by Arista. Universal (who have shown an openness to surround releases) has the rights to it so I would assume that it is more than coincidence that this is the title that we're getting a surround mix of. I would love to be proven wrong and find that this will soon be followed by a 5.1 I Robot, but I'm not holding my breath.

Your skepticism may be well placed. However, in the era of meager music sales, a big success with this title might catch their attention with the sort of green ($$$$) encouragement that might cause them to revisit the Project. Meanwhile, it does demonstrate Alan's enthusiasm for remixing his own work to surround, which is great news. If they do decide to test the market on the heels of a successful "Tales of" release, I really hope it is with I Robot. These two are my most essential titles. Anything after that would be some very nice gravy.

c'mon, box sets with all kind of stuff scraped from archives and Dollarama, as we see them now, doesn't became popular and demanded product, other than among those, hard die funs, who feels rich enough to play philanthropists. i guess previous model of box-sets, similar to ones by Genesis, Talking Heads, Doors, appearing for much wider market and more sustainable in sales than this new attempt to sell for top bucks bunch of mostly worthless content. in any case, if they will put 5.1 disc in each box, filled with garbage, there is no way i would buy it and i guess much more of potential buyers will do the same.

Hi otto,

I didn't mean to start a whole "box vs individual releases" thing.... but....

Since I would be buying pretty much every Alan Parsons 5.1 mix he makes, a box would be more economical and there is one much more important feature of a box set:

We get all the music all at once! :smokin We don't wait over many years for the various titles to be offered or even worse, perhaps cancelled.

Ideally we get a choice of the box or the singles. I waited on the Steve Hackett box and I will happily be buying two singles but I am so glad I bought the GENESIS Box Sets. For me their value has increased over the years.

I completely agree with my pal DMJ. Offering both box sets and individual releases is best for everyone. I for one usually do not mind a box set filled with optical discs (CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, etc.) but I hate it when they throw vinyl into that mix.
I think the best model they can follow for a potential release of "Tales of Mystery..." is the same one used for the Tears for Fears and Simple Minds reissues, DVD-A in a CD/DVD box set and a single HFPA Blu-Ray disc. I think that could work well for everyone. :)

We get all the music all at once! :smokin We don't wait over many years for the various titles to be offered or even worse, perhaps cancelled.

Ideally we get a choice of the box or the singles. I waited on the Steve Hackett box and I will happily be buying two singles but I am so glad I bought the GENESIS Box Sets. For me their value has increased over the years.
i see what you mean but sadly for now it's rather the past than possible future.
that's was nearly decade ago. in new view of "big three" on the box-sets releases, the past model absolutely
dismissed from about of time of issue of "Dark Side" box-set.
unfortunately there are no sign they willing to return to model of compiling box-set as they did previously.
and that's bad, because HiRez Surround only lately has become actual and accessible for wider market,
due to improvement and lower cost of hardware for playback, comparing even with 10 years back.
but you know, those corporate morons will shoot own feet in their greed.

I completely agree with my pal DMJ. Offering both box sets and individual releases is best for everyone. I for one usually do not mind a box set filled with optical discs (CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, etc.) but I hate it when they throw vinyl into that mix.
I think the best model they can follow for a potential release of "Tales of Mystery..." is the same one used for the Tears for Fears and Simple Minds reissues, DVD-A in a CD/DVD box set and a single HFPA Blu-Ray disc. I think that could work well for everyone. :)
Dang, couldn't have said it better!

Back