Alice Cooper: Muscle of Love & Judy Collins: Best of - Audio Fidelity 4.0 Quad SACD (Dec 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The announcement from Audio Fidelity of Muscle of Love by Alice Cooper on Multichannel SACD.

Alice Cooper.jpg

The announcement from Audio Fidelity of Colors of Love: The Best of Judy Collins on Multichannel SACD.

Colors of the Day.jpg

Not a big Judy fan but like what I know from her well enough to make this a buy for me in Quad! Coop on the other hand is a WOW! disc for me as I Muscle of Love me some Alice. And for me Muscle of Love is just as good as any of the prime Alice albums yeah I'd even say...I guess I love it
I love it to death!

Never cared much for Cooper's work, so I guess I will take a pass on this one.

The Judy Collins, on the other hand, is a great part of my past. Her stuff in quad is a great opportunity for me to visit!

Muscle Of Love is underrated IMO.

I gotta get my say in on the Cooper release.

This album, while not a sales leader in its day, is unique and iconic in a number of ways. First lets talk the original packaging. It came in a cardboard box. Stained looking. The sleeves had great spoofy photos of the band posing as sailors on leave.

There is a theme here, as there was on its predecessor "Billion Dollar Babies". In the way that album explores material success and excess, "Muscle of Love" does the same for ... say it with me now...S-E-X. Yes, if you are unfamiliar, this record is largely about dirty, kinky, cheap, sex... from several different angles. Its pretty obvious with the title being semi-slang for male genitalia, but then throw in the "love stained" cardboard cover (which IIRC had something similar to verbiage from condom packages), the song titles like "Never Been Sold Before" "Workin" Up a Sweat", and the title track. So damn cool, especially when you are a teenager, like a lot of us were at the time.

Musically this album rocks. Its right up there with BDB, and better than Alice's first solo album "Welcome to my Nightmare". This group had the formula down pat when they made this. It even had a high charting single, "Teenage Lament 74" . But some of the best tracks allude to sex, which may have affected how it was promoted in a lot of areas, and sales were low. Its a shame. I agree its wayyyy underrated. So if you liked BDB, be sure to get this. The track "Man with the Golden Gun" is interesting in that its kind of an out-take. It was written for the Bond movie of the same name, but something didn't work out and it wasn't used. Priceless.

I had the quad on a Q8. In my circles back then, the mix was considered very demo worthy. I have also heard the Q4. If AF can pull some veils off the tape fidelity with fresh re-mastering to HD, this is going to be good.

Enjoy folks. This one is a winner from AF.

The album went gold on release, so to say "sales were slow" is only by comparing it to Led Zeppelin or a Pink Floyd album. Sales were good, and all my friends had it on LP or 8-track.

I had it on quad reel. I didn't really like the sound quality of it though. I had the Judy Collins too (yuk!).

The announcement from Audio Fidelity of Muscle of Love by Alice Cooper on Multichannel SACD.

View attachment 22772

I remember when "Teenage Lament '74" was a hit on A.M. radio, with DJs mentioning Liza Minnelli as doing backup singing. There was no mention of Ronnie Spector, Labelle or the Pointer Sisters. How times have changed.

IMG_muscle (768x1024).jpg

If AF can pull some veils off the tape fidelity with fresh re-mastering to HD, this is going to be good.

Enjoy folks. This one is a winner from AF.

I am hoping the sound is not too warm, and retains the bright clarity that original LPs (both quad and stereo) had.

I remember when "Teenage Lament '74" was a hit on A.M. radio, with DJs mentioning Liza Minnelli as doing backup singing. There was no mention of Ronnie Spector, Labelle or the Pointer Sisters. How times have changed.

View attachment 22836

Interesting how the quad reel cover and SACD cover picture don't match. Which one is correct?

I wonder if someone at Magtec called up WB and said the artwork got soiled and we need a clean replacement.

The original release on vinyl was in an actual cardboard wrapper, with the text printed on top. The AF SACD uses (presumably) a digitally scanned photo of that original packaging, whereas the reel uses the original font/text overlaid on a solid colour background. It was probably much easier for them to do it that way in the pre-photoshop era.

The image on the quad reel is from the second pressing of the stereo LP which came as a normal flat lp cover unlike the original first pressing that were both released as a box for both the stereo and quad lp

Back