Quad mixes made available on a modern/digital format

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter
Quad mixes made available on a modern/digital format;

Alice Cooper - Muscle Of Love (SACD),
Allman Brothers Band - Live At Filmore East (DTS CD),
America - Hearts (SACD),
Aretha Franklin - Best Of (DVDV),
Art Garfunkel - Angel Clare (SACD),
Art Garfunkel - Breakaway (SACD),
Bachman Turner Overdrive - Not Fragile (DTS CD),
Barclay James Harvest - Once Again (DVDV),
Beck Bogert Appice (DTS CD, SACD),
Billy Cobham - Spectrum (SACD),
Billy Joel - Streetlife Serenade (SACD),
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (DVDV),
Blood Sweat & Tears - S/T (SACD),
Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties (SACD),
Brad Miller – Steel Rails Under Thundering Skies (DTS CD),
Bread - Best Of (SACD),
Chicago Transit Authority (BD, DVDV),
Chicago II (BD),
Chicago III (BD),
Chicago V (BD),
Chicago VI (BD),
Chicago VII (BD),
Chicago VIII (BD),
Chicago G.Hits (BD),
Chicago X (BD),
Deep Purple - Machine Head (DVDV, SACD),
Deep Purple - Stormbringer (DVDV),
Deodato - Prelude (SACD),
Deodato - 2 (SACD),
Doors - Best Of (BD, SACD),
Earth Wind & Fire - Head To The Sky (SACD),
Earth Wind & Fire - Open Our Eyes (SACD),
Edgar Winter - Jasmine Nightdreams (DTS CD),
ELO - First Light (DVDV),
E Power Biggs - The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues (SACD),
Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Blvd (BD, DTS CD),
Eric Clapton - There's One In Every Crowd (BD, DTS CD),
Gentle Giant - Freehand (DVDV),
Gentle Giant - Interview (DVDV),
Guess Who - Best Of Vol. 1 (SACD),
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters (SACD),
Herbie Hancock - Thrust (SACD),
Hugo Montenegro - Godfather (SACD),
Hugo Montenegro - Good Bad & Ugly etc (SACD),
Hugo Montenegro - Mammy Blue (SACD),
Hugo Montenegro - Neil's Diamonds (SACD),
Hugo Montenegro - Others By Brothers (SACD),
Hugo Montenegro - Rocket Man (SACD),
Hugo Montenegro - Screen Themes (SACD),
Hugo Montenegro - In Wonderland (SACD),
Isley Brothers - 3+3 (SACD),
Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow (SACD),
Jeff Beck - Wired (SACD),
Jeff Beck Group - S/T (SACD),
Jeff Beck Group - Rough & Ready (SACD),
Jethro Tull - Aqualung (BD, DVDV),
Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery (DVDV),
Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood (DVDV),
Jethro Tull - Too Old To Rock & Roll (DVDV),
Jethro Tull - Warchild (DVDV),
Johnny Mathis - First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (DTS CD),
Judy Collins - Best Of (SACD),
Labelle - Nightbirds (SACD),
Laura Nyro - Eli & The 13th Confession (SACD),
Loggins & Messina - S/T (SACD),
Logggins & Messina - Full Sail (SACD),
Lou Reed – Metal Machine Music (BD),
Lynn Anderson - G.Hits (SACD),
Lynn Anderson - Rose Garden (SACD),
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire (SACD),
Main Ingredient - Euphrates River (SACD),
Michel Legrand - 20 Songs Of The Century (SACD),
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (SACD),
Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed (DTS CD, DVDV, SACD),
Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (SACD),
Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance (SACD),
Moody Blues - To Our Children's Children's Children (SACD),
Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream (SACD),
Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn (DTS CD, SACD),
Mystic Moods - Bright Side Of The Moon (DTS CD),
Mystic Moods - Cosmic Force (DTS CD),
Mystic Moods - Erogenous (DTS CD),
Mystic Moods - Highway One (DTS CD),
Nektar - Remember The Future (SACD),
Ohio Players - Fire (DTS CD),
Ohio Players - Honey (DTS CD),
O'Jays - Ship Ahoy (SACD),
Paul Mauriat - Penelope (SACD),
Percy Faith - Chinatown (SACD),
Percy Faith - Clair (SACD),
Percy Faith - Joy (SACD),
Percy Faith - Romeo & Juliet (SACD),
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother (BD, DVDV),
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (BD, DVDV),
Pink Floyd - Meddle : "Echoes" only (BD, DVDV),
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (BD, DVDV),
Poco - Crazy Eyes (DTS CD),
Pure Prairie League - If The Shoe Fits (SACD),
Pure Prairie League - Two Lane Highway (SACD),
Ray Conniff - Laughter In The Rain (SACD),
Ray Conniff - Love Theme From Godfather (SACD),
Ray Conniff - Love Will Keep Us Together (SACD),
Ray Conniff - Send In The Clowns (SACD),
Ray Conniff - Theme From SWAT (SACD),
Ray Davies - Flashpoint (SACD),
Return To Forever - Musicmagic (SACD),
Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (DVDA),
Rick Wakeman - King Arthur (DVDA),
Rick Wakeman - Six Wives (DVDA),
Santana - Abraxas (DTS CD),
Santana - Illuminations (SACD),
Santana - Lotus (SACD),
Sly & The Family Stone - G.Hits (SACD),
Stephen Stills - Stills (DTS CD),
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (DTS CD),
Swingle Singers (SACD),
Ten Years After - A Space In Time (DVDV),
Tower Of Power - Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now (SACD),
Weather Report - Mysterious Traveller (SACD),
Wings - Band On The Run (DTS CD),
Wings - Venus & Mars (DTS CD)

...well its a start..

your help in this endeavour would be much appreciated! :p

Last edited:
Well, good luck, Fred...but please remember that individual artists should be listed by their surnames, not their first. Gets kinda confusing otherwise...

As for original quad mixes, while I'd give the pair of Moodies DTS titles a pass, gotta be honest and say the manipulated 5.1 and sonics of their SACD titles disqualifies theme from inclusion, at least to my ears and sensibilities. I assume you want to list only 4.0 quad titles, though some may be 4.1 (the 1 being the woofer).

Which leads to an interesting (if future) conundrum. What do you do with 4.0 quads unreleased at the time? The recent BSO/Steinberg PLANETS was not, to my knowledge, issued in any kind of quad until now. DGG was a true high end audiophile label, and at the time they felt they could not cut a proper vinyl quad, and they would never have used 8-track or even reel tape, as far as I know. Many of these may have turned up somewhere, but in stereo, not quad.

And with a claimed 800 titles in DGG's vaults just waiting to be mastered and released, well...hope ya love classical! :D

ED :)

You might want to limit this list to popular music. I'd estimate there's probably close to 300 licensed digital releases of quad mixes. Pentatone for instance released 115 quad SACDs, comprising probably 160-170 LP albums: https://www.hraudio.net/music.php?format=0&genre=0&label=678&page=1. There's the DTS Classics re-releases of EMI classical quads, along with EMI's own DVD-audio releases of quads. There's the Vanguard SACDs, the Silverline DVD-Audios (some of which were sourced from quad tapes from Vanguard), the MoFi reissues of Vox quads, there's the Dutton Epoch SACDs, there's Deutsche Grammophon, which barely remixed a number of quads onto SACD and DVD-Audio, and just recently released the Steinberg planets on blu-ray audio...and I've probably forgotten something.

Edit to add: in theory Sony released a number of quads on SACD, but there's been some questions as to whether they actually used a quad source or just upmixed stereo.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Also, it is my opinion that as long as a 5.1 mix derived from an original 4.0 quad mix retains all four channels as originally planned, then it qualifies for the list. You can always mute the center and sub channels in order to hear the original 4-channel mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few more:

Brad Miller – Steel Rails Under Thundering Skies (DTS CD)

E Power Biggs - The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues (SACD)

Lou Reed – Metal Machine Music (BD)

Well, good luck, Fred...but please remember that individual artists should be listed by their surnames, not their first. Gets kinda confusing otherwise...

As for original quad mixes, while I'd give the pair of Moodies DTS titles a pass, gotta be honest and say the manipulated 5.1 and sonics of their SACD titles disqualifies theme from inclusion, at least to my ears and sensibilities. I assume you want to list only 4.0 quad titles, though some may be 4.1 (the 1 being the woofer).

Which leads to an interesting (if future) conundrum. What do you do with 4.0 quads unreleased at the time? The recent BSO/Steinberg PLANETS was not, to my knowledge, issued in any kind of quad until now. DGG was a true high end audiophile label, and at the time they felt they could not cut a proper vinyl quad, and they would never have used 8-track or even reel tape, as far as I know. Many of these may have turned up somewhere, but in stereo, not quad.

And with a claimed 800 titles in DGG's vaults just waiting to be mastered and released, well...hope ya love classical! :D

ED :)

Thanks Mr.B!
If I may I will just carry on with it First name/Last name for now and I can update the whole lot down the line in Excel or something and we can display and collate it all whichever way the majority of QQers think best.

I think we should include Quad mixes previously unreleased in the 70's that have seen release on SACD, DVD, etc., I can add something to denote that status in time. I quite like Quadwreck's suggestion of an asterisk for that purpose.

Allman Brothers Band - Live At Fillmore East (SACD)
Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach (SACD)

BTW, I don't believe Live At Fillmore East on DTS CD is the quad mix. The two SACD listed above are the quad mix with a residual center and sub channel which can be removed without sacrificing the sound or mix quality. The DTS CD seems to be a total remix of the album. I prefer the DTS CD mix of this album but prefer the higher resolution of the SACD mixes. Wish we could have the DTS CD mix at high resolution.

You might want to limit this list to popular music. I'd estimate there's probably close to 300 licensed digital releases of quad mixes. Pentatone for instance released 115 quad SACDs, comprising probably 160-170 LP albums: https://www.hraudio.net/music.php?format=0&genre=0&label=678&page=1. There's the DTS Classics re-releases of EMI classical quads, along with EMI's own DVD-audio releases of quads. There's the Vanguard SACDs, the Silverline DVD-Audios (some of which were sourced from quad tapes from Vanguard), the MoFi reissues of Vox quads, there's the Dutton Epoch SACDs, there's Deutsche Grammophon, which barely remixed a number of quads onto SACD and DVD-Audio, and just recently released the Steinberg planets on blu-ray audio...and I've probably forgotten something.

Edit to add: in theory Sony released a number of quads on SACD, but there's been some questions as to whether they actually used a quad source or just upmixed stereo.

I'm really a Classical dullard so I'm A-ok with this suggestion to limit it to the Rock/Pop etc Quads but if there's interest/demand for a similar list for Classical Quads on BD/DVD/SACD down the line I can fumble about and give it a go! :ROFLMAO:

Allman Brothers Band - Live At Fillmore East (SACD)
Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach (SACD)

BTW, I don't believe Live At Fillmore East on DTS CD is the quad mix. The two SACD listed above are the quad mix with a residual center and sub channel which can be removed without sacrificing the sound or mix quality. The DTS CD seems to be a total remix of the album. I prefer the DTS CD mix of this album but prefer the higher resolution of the SACD mixes. Wish we could have the DTS CD mix at high resolution.

oh ok, thanks for the info!

tbh I always thought the ABB Filmore DTS was the Quad and the Eat A Peach SACD was a new 5.1 by Jeff Glixman but if the SACDs are the Quads I will update the list now no probs :)

oh ok, thanks for the info!

tbh I always thought the ABB Filmore DTS was the Quad and the Eat A Peach SACD was a new 5.1 by Jeff Glixman but if the SACDs are the Quads I will update the list now no probs :)

You might be right on that. There might be an expert on that who can pop in and clear this up. If the SACDs were a new 5.1 mix, Mr. Glixman got paid for not much effort. Those songs sound great with no center or sub playing.

You might be right on that. There might be an expert on that who can pop in and clear this up. If the SACDs were a new 5.1 mix, Mr. Glixman got paid for not much effort. Those songs sound great with no center or sub playing.

well fwiw I just checked all the discs and the SACDs of ABB Filmore East & Eat A Peach both credit "SACD Surround Sound mixes by Jeff Glixman with Carl Cadden-James"..

the DTS CD inners of ABB Filmore are about as much use as a chocolate saddle on a bicycle, since they are a cut 'n' paste job of the credits for the DTS CDs of Band On The Run and Venus & Mars ("Multitrack original analog recording and mix to music surround: Engineers: Geoff Emerick and Alan O'Duffy, Producer : Paul McCartney").. and we know that can't be right, unless Macca and Emerick did the DTS CD Surround of ABB at the Filmore?! o_O

..the plot thickens! bring on the experts! :p

well fwiw I just checked all the discs and the SACDs of ABB Filmore East & Eat A Peach both credit "SACD Surround Sound mixes by Jeff Glixman with Carl Cadden-James"..

the DTS CD inners of ABB Filmore are about as much use as a chocolate saddle on a bicycle, since they are a cut 'n' paste job of the credits for the DTS CDs of Band On The Run and Venus & Mars ("Multitrack original analog recording and mix to music surround: Engineers: Geoff Emerick and Alan O'Duffy, Producer : Paul McCartney").. and we know that can't be right, unless Macca and Emerick did the DTS CD Surround of ABB at the Filmore?! o_O

..the plot thickens! bring on the experts! :p

You're right. I just compared the Left Front channel of the Q4 version to the SACD version of Stand Back from Eat A Peach. They are different mixes. Much more reverb on the vocals in the Q4 mix. My apologies to you and Mr. Glixman.

Back