Any Laurie Anderson fans here?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So have any of you guys with the Home of the Brave LD ever figured out a way to rip it to MKV (or transfer it to DVD, or whatever)? I don't mean to tread on thin ice with regard to forum rules here, but those old players--and discs--aren't gonna last forever, right?

I have a DVD recorder and the (forced Japanese subtitles) Laserdisc but I'm also unsure of my player status. I have three and know that at least one has a mechanical issue.

I didn't know much about Laurie until I started dating this girl back in '87 who was a fan. She had Mister Heartbreak on vinyl, which I loved immediately.

Around that time, Home of the Brave was in rotation on HBO. Since I was getting free HBO (after the cable guy "forgot" to install the (analog) trap on my line), I invited my new friend over to watch it on my very first "home theater" system! This consisted of a 21" Sears "portable" color TV, connected via DIY headphone jack to a little box (can't remember the product name) that was basically just a 2-way passive crossover - lows to one channel, highs to the other - then into the Heathkit AA-29 amp and a pair of Large Advents (which I still use every day - well, the boxes at least). Rock and roll! :cool:

<ahem>
Anyway. Even with that meager presentation, the show was mesmerizing; I've been a Laurie fan ever since. And as I recall, the remainder of that evening was great fun as well! 🥰 I should've tried harder with that girl; she was probably the closest thing to a soulmate this old weirdo is gonna find. (Sigh.)

I always liked her album 'Strange Angels'.
Great album! I dearly love "Monkey's Paw" (feat. Bobby McFerrin). Great tune and a good demo, with nice deep bass.

...But nature's got rules
And nature's got laws
And if you cross her, look out!
It's the monkey's paw!
It's sayin,
Awwww,
It's sayin, Gimme five!
It's sayin, Bye-bye!
You want imagery? Here's your imagery, pal! :SG

Great album! I dearly love "Monkey's Paw" (feat. Bobby McFerrin). Great tune and a good demo, with nice deep bass.

...But nature's got rules
And nature's got laws
And if you cross her, look out!
It's the monkey's paw!
It's sayin,
Awwww,
It's sayin, Gimme five!
It's sayin, Bye-bye!
You want imagery? Here's your imagery, pal! :SG

Interesting lyrics on that one. My favorite songs on there were:

• "My Eyes"
  • "Hiawatha"
  • "Strange Angels"
  • "Coolsville"
  • "Babydoll"
    ..probably in that order also....
    A very underrated album. Wikipedia said it was nominated for a Grammy in 'Best Alternative Music Album'.
    Most people I let hear this had never heard of Laurie Anderson but came away liking her! This indeed would be great in 5.1 surround...

Last edited:
There's a song of Laurie's that I love called "In Our Sleep". It's on the album Bright Red. It's a duet with Lou Reed. There was a CD single released of the song that had multiple remixes. One mix was an instrumental version. Another mix had just the vocals and some synth textures. Using the two versions I was able to come up with a 4.0 mix by putting the instrumental version in the front speakers and the vocal version in the rears. It came out pretty good.

There's a song of Laurie's that I love called "In Our Sleep". It's on the album Bright Red. It's a duet with Lou Reed. There was a CD single released of the song that had multiple remixes. One mix was an instrumental version. Another mix had just the vocals and some synth textures. Using the two versions I was able to come up with a 4.0 mix by putting the instrumental version in the front speakers and the vocal version in the rears. It came out pretty good.
I just found another copy of that CD maxi-single recently and that is a clever mix idea to try. Probably had 600 CD singles at one point and sold a lot of them, some regrettably.

I first heard O Superman and bought the 33 rpm 7" vinyl picture sleeve single b/w Walk The Dog. iTunes library says I have 13 albums and 227 songs; accurate as I nuke dupes. The Tape Bow Violin makes several appearances on the massive 4 CD United States Live (1984) collection. I also had the laserdisc and let it get away as I was certain that a DVD version would appear. Nope.

Did manager to see her perform in 1984 in San Diego and then later in early 1990 in San Diego and then again in Nashville in the same week! Wife and I have been long-time fans.

Last edited:
I used to do that.

All of my current surround amplifiers forget everything when the power is off, so I can no longer use a timer.

Yeah, I've sadly returned to the beep-beep-beep in the morning HOLY HELL you just gave me an idea:

1) Bose Wave Radio with alarm clock functions (and aux input jack)
1) 256 GB MicroSD card containing a large chunk of my stereo music collection in FLAC
1) Sansa Clip Zip w/ RockBox, running continuously in full shuffle mode

I have all these ingredients. Why the hell haven't I thought of this before.

Thanks man!

(Sorry for the thread creep folks.)

I’m not a fan (but because of her reputation I’ve always thought I should be). It’s not that I dislike her, I just don’t know her music.
Heard a snippet of O Superman many years ago, and though I thought it was interesting enough to explore further I never got around to it.
Where should I start?
Big Science?

I’m not a fan (but because of her reputation I’ve always thought I should be). It’s not that I dislike her, I just don’t know her music.
Heard a snippet of O Superman many years ago, and though I thought it was interesting enough to explore further I never got around to it.
Where should I start?
Big Science?
I suggest Mister Heartbreak

Where should I start?
Big Science?
I'd say 'Strange Angels'... but I'm biased.
I found everything else of hers I heard after that to be a bit of a let down.
With all this talk about her I'm going to have to listen to it today.

I have the Big Science album with O Superman. I have the one after Mr Heartbreak which I got first. Used to play that vinyl a lot. It may even be a Quiex pressing supposed to be lower noise vinyl.

Yeah, I've sadly returned to the beep-beep-beep in the morning HOLY HELL you just gave me an idea:

1) Bose Wave Radio with alarm clock functions (and aux input jack)
1) 256 GB MicroSD card containing a large chunk of my stereo music collection in FLAC
1) Sansa Clip Zip w/ RockBox, running continuously in full shuffle mode

I have all these ingredients. Why the hell haven't I thought of this before.

Thanks man!

(Sorry for the thread creep folks.)

Sounds like you've got it covered, but if you ever want to fool around with something different, Logitech Media Server can be set to use any connected player as a clock radio.

With all this talk about her I'm going to have to listen to it today.

Sorry.....my bad. Turns out Laurie will not be on every Friday. She will be on the first, third and fifth Fridays of every month. So no broadcast from Laurie today. If you want to hear last week's, it is archived for another week here: WESU Archives.

Last edited:
Back