Dual Disc Anyone have the Offspring DualDisc?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danzigdan

I see that it has 5.1 mixes. I'm wondering if the mixes are good or if they are of the "fake surround" variety?

On first listen (late last night at low volume) it was less than stellar.
The mix seems tight up front and center with the rears used as ambient fill.
The most effective use of the rear channels are the vocal call backs on the band's more novelty type songs. Ala .... "Give it to me Baby".
Our friend Nick Didia was responsible.

Bought it.... Great songs... shitty mix!!

Once again a beautiful opportunity completely ruined by Nick Didia. Not as bad as the Wallflowers disc because there are some good moments but someone has to break it to Mr D that he has no clue about MC mixing...

What is up with these artists? Do they not listen to these 5.1 mixes or do they have no say in them? Like them or not, the Offspring do have some clout and they seem to be pretty marketing savvy while still showing some integrity to the fans.

This is a very disappointing release. I tried to give it another listen and it was awful.
Better results where heard by sending the standard mix through a faux surround filter.

splinter7 said:
What is up with these artists? Do they not listen to these 5.1 mixes or do they have no say in them?

I blame part of it on the the Dual Disc launch. I think the record companies will do anything to get people to buy them. The problem is (for me at least) is that gimmicks aren't going to get me to buy them, but actual content will!

danzigdan said:
I blame part of it on the the Dual Disc launch. I think the record companies will do anything to get people to buy them. The problem is (for me at least) is that gimmicks aren't going to get me to buy them, but actual content will!

Do anything to get people to buy them, *except* the obvious...

Truly, the obvious escapes them. The industry is so out of touch with their market.
Everything they do is reactionary, seldom revolutionary.

Back