Anyone here interested in getting one of my Q8 decks (Technics RS-858DUS and 2 Akai CR-80D-SS) in 100% working order?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyg2181

I would like to find someone who is knowledgable in Q8 decks. I got a Technics RS-858DUS and 2 Akai CR-80D-SS in need of some work

Both akais need the internal recording and playback levels adjusted to where they should be, all Sanyo IC chips replaced with new ones, or a different rig that would have identical performance (I read about a modification someone made to replace the sanyo IC chip), the heads need to be perfectly aligned (height/crosstalk and azimuth), They need to be able to record and play PERFECTLY in BOTH 2 channel and 4 channel modes. Also i would like the 4 VU meters to light up, or have them replaced with illuminated ones like the ones in the Technics decks.

My Technics is my favorite one because of the looks and that it's loaded with extra features, this one would also be the easiest and cheapest to fix (I think so anyways). I just want to be 100% sure that the speed is 100% correct, because I think it plays a little too fast. Some tapes have a lot of static unless I have the deck set to "Repeat", also I believe one of the rear channels plays a little lower than the rest. For some reason I think the speed problem is more noticible with tapes with plastic pinch rollers (maybe I'm just crazy?) just make sure ALL functions are 100% operational in recording and playback and on 2 channel and 4 channel tapes.

Is anyone here able to fix one of these up for me for a price, or recommend me to someone who can or will?

If the one I send is 100% I may consider getting one or maybe even both others working as well.

Thanks in advance for any help I may receive.

Thank you for the link, I can not find any email for repairs, but I'll check on an actual computer instead of a mobile device. Judging by the prices, it may be a lot.

UPDATE: I shipped my Technics to a member who will rebuild it. Can't wait to have it back! Pics will be in the Q8 Gallery when I get it back. Also, I now only have 1 Q8 deck as the price for getting the technics rebuilt was for the 2 Akai units. Now I won't have to pay to have 2 more decks fixed.

UPDATE!!

I just gopt my Technics back this morniong, and i must say, i couldnt possibly be happier. The sound quality is excellent, NO crosstalk, the levels are accurate, the tape speed for all tapes is dead on. The woodgrain side panels have been replaced with nicer looking ones that were cut and stained for my unit. The top and bottom metal plates/covers, have been re-finished with a nice glossy/shiny black coat. the capstan has been completly remade, the head is in MINT condition with no signs of wear, and the foil sensing head is nice and shiny as well. It is a fine machine all the way around. I did not name the person who restored it because i dont know if he would want to be mentioned or not.

-Russ

Ok, I made a video on the iTouch, but it won't fully upload. I'm getting pissed off that I can't get this damn video off the iPod. It's a pretty damn good video as well that shows basically everything about the deck, it's 11 minutes long and has a demo of 2 Q8's and 2 stereo tapes for the 2ch mode demo. What tapes? I'm gonna make you all wait for that one ;)

Any ideas would be great. Worst comes to worst I hook the iPod to the DVD recorder, make a DVD of it and try to rip it to the computer. If I can't get the DVD to the computer, I'll send it to a fellow QQ member to post it online on youtube for me. I don't care if it's not on my account, as long as it gets out there.

Also, I could just send the DVD for someone to get a digital file of it and then I could put it up on YouTube and/or Flickr.

The mic on the iPod isn't too great, it picks up the music excellently, but I was real close to it so it makes me sound like I'm from the country, and I sound like I talk muffled and slur my words. But it ain't too bad other than that. I'd hate to do all that work all over again if I don't have too. If I do have to re make the video, I'll use my sisters high end camera with a microphone so I'd don't sound line I have a speech impediment half the video. Thank you all in advance for any help I may get.

-Russ

If the member whom repaired your unit is willing, perhaps others in this Forum would like to avail themselves of his/her services.

Just a thought.

MTGG
Michael

Back