AP SACDs of Beach Boys Sunflower and Surf's Up are stereo/multichannel with 4.0 mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a Beach Boys fan and I doubt I will spring for these releases, but what do you think the reason is to not publicize the fact that the multichannel tracks were included? Am I correct in the assumption that the multichannel tracks aren't even listed on the packaging?

From what I have read Steven Desper (Spatializer) was a stereo enhancer to give a surround sound with 2 Speakers
same as Q sound and Involve TSS
It gives a good surround on the Surround Master Involve setting
And he was using it with them up to 1999 and maybe more

Right, but that really doesn't have anything to do with these releases does it? He encoded these with the dynaquad in mind, and has already been decoded to the multichannel layer of the sacd. Sorry if you already knew that, but your post isn't placed within any context.

I'm not a Beach Boys fan and I doubt I will spring for these releases, but what do you think the reason is to not publicize the fact that the multichannel tracks were included? Am I correct in the assumption that the multichannel tracks aren't even listed on the packaging?

The quality isn't up to par for average listeners compared to discreet four channel, or maybe additional costs involved in some way. Someone should ask Steve Desper on the smiley smile forum, he has his own thread that is very long that he continues to contribute to.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=43dd91e379b4001f5d167bb0fc2761c5&topic=1203.0

Super great question. If it's so, then let us know, in advertising. Then we can bash it or love it.

Super great question. If it's so, then let us know, in advertising. Then we can bash it or love it.

You are the reason that they did not advertise the quad layer, they did not think it was significant enough to warrent the blurb of praise, and they did not want to be bashed hard for doing what they thought was including a nice little bonus.

The arm chair critics are a brutal bunch, and they know this fact.

Last edited:
I just received my two AP Beach Boys, Surfs Up and Sunflower and happy to say they are both stereo and true Quad mixes, HDMI, and no center channel. I used my McIntosh MVP891, opened tray, set to MULTI and bang, a true Quad mix on both. Super great sounding, DSD signal. I would have never bought these except for Bmoura's post on the SACD Facebook page, Thanks.
And yes, I wonder why the lack of advertising by AP, but maybe they where just having fun?

I just received my two AP Beach Boys, Surfs Up and Sunflower and happy to say they are both stereo and true Quad mixes, HDMI, and no center channel. I used my McIntosh MVP891, opened tray, set to MULTI and bang, a true Quad mix on both. Super great sounding, DSD signal. I would have never bought these except for Bmoura's post on the SACD Facebook page, Thanks.
And yes, I wonder why the lack of advertising by AP, but maybe they where just having fun?

Can you quantify that statement please? "Super Great Sounding"
Compare these to other exceptional Quad releases...such as BS&T or America or Loggins/Messina, etc. That might be helpful. :)

Can you quantify that statement please? "Super Great Sounding"
Compare these to other exceptional Quad releases...such as BS&T or America or Loggins/Messina, etc. That might be helpful. :)

On the scales of "coolness", on how "real" they seem, and on how the surround mix is gonna mess your hair and leave you in a neck brace. Of course.

Swell. 2 more $30 discs I now have to order. Oh well.....................

I will use Elusive Disc however, Music Direct is MFSL and they are anti-Surround: they don't get my money. No way.

I will use Elusive Disc however, Music Direct is MFSL and they are anti-Surround: they don't get my money. No way.

I am going to hold out for another review or two from this assemblage before I pull the trigger. But yes, I'm probably not far behind you.

Well, Jon, your anti Music Direct stance is going to cost you an additional 10% as Music Direct is now offering 20% off ALL Music. Bite the bullet and save yourself some $$$$$ http://www.musicdirect.com/:banana:

Well, Jon, your anti Music Direct stance is going to cost you an additional 10% as Music Direct is now offering 20% off ALL Music. Bite the bullet and save yourself some $$$$$ http://www.musicdirect.com/:banana:

Last We checked - 4 eared - it won't let you take the 20 percent off on not in stock product Grrrrrrrrrrr - only in stock product and both titles are AVAILABILITY TBA :(

Thank You tho

Don't care. I will not support Music Direct until MFSL starts releasing surround SACDs. I am sure they will survive without my orders! :smokin

Don't care. I will not support Music Direct until MFSL starts releasing surround SACDs. I am sure they will survive without my orders! :smokin

After literally years on my part trying to convince MoFi to go multi, I've given up. As Brian Moura explained....they have a stereo mastering lab and then with all the brouhaha of negotiating multiple licensing fees to secure the rights to CD/Stereo/Multi layers of an SACD, I now know why. My biggest gripe with both MoFi and AP is the ENDLESS waiting time to FINALLY release SACD product. I also understand AF's secrecy in 'prematurely' listing their upcoming titles....so as NOT to disappoint. They are by far THE quickest to release their SACDs (and my congrats to their 'rapid response team' in making this happen).

But I do stand by MusicDirect's salespeople who have guided me through the years in selecting equipment and interconnects and power conditioners and by sometimes going out of their ways to give me the best prices possible, as well. I do not cite them for the anti multichannel stance as they [probably] have nothing to do with MoFi's ultimate decision although I have chewed their [patient] ears about the virtues of multichannel for years.

Brad Miller is probably turning over in his grave as I'm sure had he lived we'd be enjoying many more multichannel titles but alas, such is not the case. RIP Brad......if only MoFi had followed in your footsteps.

Hi everyone,

I've just received my SACDs of Sunflower and Surf's Up and I felt like sharing my opinion about hearing them with my set-up. My speakers are not matched at the moment, meaning that my rears and fronts are from different companies and of different sizes. I have been using this set-up now for a little over a year so I've gotten accustomed to the "colour variations" between the speakers.

What I'm hearing is basically similar to close to non-discrete SQ decode which gives you Big Stereo in both pairs of speakers. I simply don't want anyone expecting a fully discrete Quad mix, which this is not. I was expecting this all along, so I can't pretend being shocked by this. At best, in some songs (although this could be caused by my speakers not being matched), I hear a little more lead vocals in the front, as if some OOPS effect was lowering them slightly in the rears.

That, for those expecting a full on discrete experience, is the bad news.

Mind you, I'll still be playing these in Multichannel because they still sound really sweet. You still get a roomful of warm sounding Beach Boys magic. The five tracks I've enjoyed the most in this fashion were:

- Our Sweet Love
- At My Window
- Disney Girls
- 'Til I Die
- Surf's Up

Ultimately, this is the best I've heard these albums sound. To be honest though, I've only owned the 2001 CDs previously to hearing the SACDs, so perhaps some of you would prefer the early 90's CDs more. The sound of the SACDs is really smooth and I think that Kevin Gray and Gus Skinas did a fabulous job on these.

In the end, I fully appreciate why Analogue Productions chose not to mention a Multichannel layer. By doing so, they've avoided several complaints from some who would have expected discrete Quad mixes. By simply adding these as a bonus with no mention, people can't say that they've been victims of false advertising.

Thanks to Analogue Productions for choosing to offer us the Multichannel layer as a bonus and for a great mastering job by Kevin and Gus!

Ok folks...music direct now has Sunflower and Surfs Up IN STOCK...and you CAN use the 20%...promo code MUSIC20...that is the good news...BUT...the bad news is that since these are now $23.99 each...if you only buy those 2 items you won't qualify for the free shipping which starts at $49....so grab another item....

SURF'S UP- HERE
SUNFLOWER-HERE

Back