Are the Loudness Wars Over?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's an interesting interview with mastering engineer Bob Katz from the excellent online music site The Quietus, in which he claims that iTunes radio will win/end the Loudness Wars.

http://thequietus.com/articles/1382...51988839140977":"og.likes"}&action_ref_map=[]
Thanks for the link - it's a great interview and I've already turned on Sound Check in iTunes - I sure hope this leads to albums having more natural dynamic range - of course you'l have the idiots who claim a recording has TOO MUCH dynamic range - as far as I'm concerned everyone should have an old dbx dynamic range expander/compressor to tailor the sound to thier specific listening situation. I don't have to use my dbx 128 often, but it comes in handy when listening to background music with varying dynamic ranges. Compression and expansion should be up to the consumer, not the studios.

.....of course you'l have the idiots who claim a recording has TOO MUCH dynamic range - as far as I'm concerned everyone should have an old dbx dynamic range expander/compressor to tailor the sound to thier specific listening situation.
Reminds me of 1812 Overture on Telarc. If you adjust the volume for the music you'll blow your house down when the first cannon blast comes along. Not to mention blowing your woofers and some fuses.

Reminds me of 1812 Overture on Telarc. If you adjust the volume for the music you'll blow your house down when the first cannon blast comes along. Not to mention blowing your woofers and some fuses.

God, I'd forgotten about that. It was really dramatic/alarming.

God, I'd forgotten about that. It was really dramatic/alarming.

And what Hi-Fi is about - correctly reproducing the recording - if it damages speakers, well, the listener had it way too loud loud because I've listened to the Telarc 1812 track as well as many other so-called system busters and never have I damaged a speaker or amp.

Back