Are we close to Close to the Edge

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin Hurley, VP DVD-A at WSM (Rhino), has publicly stated several times that the multitracks for half the album still remain to be found, so it will be no time soon....

I'll ask him if this has changed, but don't hold your breath.

Hi Patrick,
Still looking for the multi's, and yes, I am having discussions to do more Yes albums.
Best,
Robin

I remember back in the 70s, I worked in a record Co-op out of my university, and I was able to order a lot of quad titles when they first came out. We used the Schwann catalog, which is what all the records stores used, and I remember one week late in the Quad era, when I saw Close to the Edge listed as a new Q8 in Schwann. Of course, I immediately placed an order for it, but I think Quad died that week, so no show. Anyway, there must be a Quad mix of Close to the Edge out there, and I don't see why they can't use that one instead of remixing a new one.

I'm really appalled at the way these record companies treat their music. You always hear of masters being lost or stolen. I bet half of their masters are recorded over, or used to prop up old water heaters in basements or something. These record companies just don't give a damn. I've purchased some CDs of my older LPs and I find that the CDs have pre-echo on them that the LPs don't. A sure sign of poor storage. I have 30 year old reel-to-reel recordings in my living room that sound good as new. Geez. :mad:

That same Schwann music catalog listed Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy, Billy Cobham - Spectrum (now on DVD-A), Uriah Heep - Return To Fantasy, Todd Rundgren - Initation and several other WEA quad titles that never saw the light.

We'll never know IF a quad mix was ever done for CTTE. Understand that master tapes can get lost or misfiled, never returned, etc. which creates the havoc when re-issuing time rolls around.

Note that the first-generation Police masters were found just in time for the SACD releases this month. We've never heard proper CD issues before this! At least one song wasn't even at the right tempo....

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I'm really appalled at the way these record companies treat their music. You always hear of masters being lost or stolen. I bet half of their masters are recorded over, or used to prop up old water heaters in basements or something.[/quote]

On the cover of Hawkwind's "Space Ritual" album, it states that "Brainstorm" was cut from a longer version due to space limitations (back in the days of LPs).

Years later, I asked Dave Brock if a CD release might have the full longer version, and he replied no - because they taped over the master tapes to do their next album, since they couldn't afford a brand new tape! :(

Is it just the *multis* for side two of Close to the Edge that are missing, or are the two-track original masters also missing? I've read conflicting reports on different forums.

Btw, recent report from the Home Entertainment 2003 conference is that those multis are still missing
:(

www.highfidelityreview.co...r=16826367

Back