Atmos Upmixing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabl

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I was disappointed but not surprised to read about the existence of this professional tool to upmix 5.1 tracks to Atmos.

Nugen Audio’s Halo Upmix as mentioned in this article

No doubt we've been hearing it on some Tidal tracks.

Penteo 16 can also upmix to 7.1.4 (and higher speaker arrangements). You may have already heard Penteo UMs encoded to Atmos on Tidal.

I would have tried > 5.1 upmixes but I don’t have any encoders that support playback. FLAC is limited to 7.1 and ‘standard’ playback devices are limited to 8 channel wav.

I do intend to upmix some real 5.1 mixes to 7.1, haven’t got to it yet. I have added some new tools to Music Media Helper to make that easier as my first attempts will be some concert videos.

Example: I recently bought a concert that had a 5.1 track but the surrounds were nothing but crowd noise. No music whatsoever in the surrounds. Music in L C R and LFE. I used Penteo to UM the Front L R to Quad, then mixed the quad UM with the original C and LFE channels. I now have a 5,1 mix with great surround music in all channels.

I could mix the original surround crowd noise back into to a new 7.1 mix (music in 5.1 channels, crowd in rears of the 7.1).

Whoops, off topic...

Penteo 16 can also upmix to 7.1.4 (and higher speaker arrangements). You may have already heard Penteo UMs encoded to Atmos on Tidal.

I would have tried > 5.1 upmixes but I don’t have any encoders that support playback. FLAC is limited to 7.1 and ‘standard’ playback devices are limited to 8 channel wav.

If you have height/ceiling speakers, you can create a 7.1 FLAC ,
but in the Penteo ouput, send x.x.2 height channels to the surround back channels of the 7.1 FLAC, then temporarily connect the receiver's surround back speaker outputs to the 2 height speakers (too much work, I know) .

I was disappointed but not surprised to read about the existence of this professional tool to upmix 5.1 tracks to Atmos.

Nugen Audio’s Halo Upmix as mentioned in this article

No doubt we've been hearing it on some Tidal tracks.

I wouldn't mind if they upmix a 5.1 source to add the height channels.
There are many 5.1 music available (including the out of print ones) -- we can even lend them our copy if the they cannot find the masters.

They did a terrible job on More Than a Woman Atmos -- they could not even afford Halo or Penteo.
I might as well listen to the receiver's upmix (Dolby Surround, DTS Neural:X, Auro 3d).

Back