Bob Marley in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexpo

IMG_2238.jpeg

Catch A Fire has a Dolby Atmos release. Unfortunately several tracks are upmixes.

True Atmos Mixes
  • Concrete Jungle
  • Baby We’ve Got A Date
  • No More Trouble
  • All Day All Night
  • Stir It Up
    • (I’m actually unsure on this one. It could be an upmix or an unimaginative Atmos mix. The irony being multitrack tapes exist and it was mixed for 5.1 by Clearmount a few years ago)
Upmixes
  • Slave Driver
  • 400 Years
  • Stop That Train
  • Kinky Reggae
  • Midnight Ravers
  • High Tide or Low Tide
The upmixes lack spacial movement. Where those backgrounds vocals sit is where they’ll remain until fadeout. Kinky Reggae’s lead vocal is a few milliseconds behind the beat (strange).

Heads up for the reggae fans. The bonafide mixes are worth a listen.

Interesting analysis. Thanks.
Have you checked the other Bob Marley's albums in Atmos? There are at least three more, including Legend.
I must admit I haven't listened to them very closely, but I was a big fan of the 5.1 mix of Legend.

View attachment 92728
Catch A Fire has a Dolby Atmos release. Unfortunately several tracks are upmixes.

True Atmos Mixes
  • Concrete Jungle
  • Baby We’ve Got A Date
  • No More Trouble
  • All Day All Night
  • Stir It Up
    • (I’m actually unsure on this one. It could be an upmix or an unimaginative Atmos mix. The irony being multitrack tapes exist and it was mixed for 5.1 by Clearmount a few years ago)
Upmixes
  • Slave Driver
  • 400 Years
  • Stop That Train
  • Kinky Reggae
  • Midnight Ravers
  • High Tide or Low Tide
The upmixes lack spacial movement. Where those backgrounds vocals sit is where they’ll remain until fadeout. Kinky Reggae’s lead vocal is a few milliseconds behind the beat (strange).

Heads up for the reggae fans. The bonafide mixes are worth a listen.
None of the tracks on this are upmixes and I am very sure of that. I have soloed out the channel and there is definitely discrete information in the rears on all of the listed upmixes. I find all of the tracks on this to have really nice atmos mixes.

Back