Auro 3D files for bankruptcy - and wants to restructure

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've talked with Morten (2L) and others, and they are quite optimistic of Auro's restructuring. Us here at NativeDSD have decided to provide our customers with our labels' immersive versions of their albums we already sell at DSD and DXD rates. So Auro3D is something we now provide (first album is Jane Ira Bloom's latest, Picturing the Invisible: Focus 1). Morten's Auro catalog is soon to be included. Labels like TRPTK, Aliud and Sono Luminus are others that have embraced immersive recording. Exciting times. Atmos will follow.

I've talked with Morten (2L) and others, and they are quite optimistic of Auro's restructuring. Us here at NativeDSD have decided to provide our customers with our labels' immersive versions of their albums we already sell at DSD and DXD rates. So Auro3D is something we now provide (first album is Jane Ira Bloom's latest, Picturing the Invisible: Focus 1). Morten's Auro catalog is soon to be included. Labels like TRPTK, Aliud and Sono Luminus are others that have embraced immersive recording. Exciting times. Atmos will follow.
Glad to hear that industry insiders have cause to be optimistic. Also good that NativeDSD, 2L (an Auro "early adopter"), and others will continue working to increase the number of available recordings.

The next big step, I think, is for Auro's new team to find a business model that allows for making the decoder available at no or low cost to equipment manufacturers and consumers. That would really promote the format and encourage more listeners to give it a try. But being asked first of all to purchase a top-of-the-line AVR--and then to spend a further $200 on an Auro-3D "upgrade"--has been a non-starter, at least for me.

I just wish they would offer their encoder at a price point that hobbyists could justify. Right now it is $25/month, which for a pro would be VERY reasonable but for hobbyists I think we would prefer a one time charge.

This would be to energize the ecosystem for immersive up-remix. Auro 3D would be especially handy for this because you can get it to your AVR with PCM audio, so regular audio players could playback immersive.

I just wish they would offer their encoder at a price point that hobbyists could justify. Right now it is $25/month, which for a pro would be VERY reasonable but for hobbyists I think we would prefer a one time charge.

This would be to energize the ecosystem for immersive up-remix. Auro 3D would be especially handy for this because you can get it to your AVR with PCM audio, so regular audio players could playback immersive.
As I recall, you have a Smyth Realiser A16(as I do also). For 400 USD you can add DTS:X and Auro 3D to the Realiser(you have to pay 200 USD for DTS:X in order to get Auro 3D for an additional 200 USD). The good news is, those fees, however large, exclude future payments. The Auro-matic upmixer does sound great IMO.

I have dts:x and atmos on my realizer. I am not aware that they have yet to offer Auro 3D. I have Auro 3D on my preamp AVR. but those are decoders and up mixers. What I want for hobbyist up-remix is their encoder. So if I want to re-mix an instrument to a certain place in 3d, it will come from there when played back (vs their upmixer where I don’t get to pick).

I have dts:x and atmos on my realizer. I am not aware that they have yet to offer Auro 3D. I have Auro 3D on my preamp AVR. but those are decoders and up mixers. What I want for hobbyist up-remix is their encoder. So if I want to re-mix an instrument to a certain place in 3d, it will come from there when played back (vs their upmixer where I don’t get to pick).
They do now have the Auro 3D decoder and up mixers for 200 USD(I have it as do many others - they are currently not advertising it, and you have to email James Smyth in order to purchase it). They do not have the software available for the encoding process that you describe. While I would imagine that most end users are not looking for that particular capability, I fully appreciate your frustration.

Is it a format wars? Sure, as always is the competition. So far, Dolby first, Apple/Sony seconds, and Auro can no longer compete because he fell in the middle of the race.
Wow, it seems that Auro-3D has gotten up. Saffelberg Investments will give him a little massage and keep running again.

As I built my home cinema for both Atmos and Auro-3D, with speaker switches, I wish them the best, also for my own benefit. :)

I got an email from them today.

They say they have "relaunched" with new funder and everything is good. The email includes new content available, video links, etc.

AURO-3D IS BACK!

We are happy to announce that NEWAURO is now fully supporting and executing on all AURO-3D development activities, Content Creation activities and Partnerships. For those whom might have missed our re-launch announcement please have a look here; https://www.mixonline.com/business/auro-3d-acquired-by-private-equity-firm

Back