B.B. King - L.A. Midnight Q8

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
You don't see this one around very often, do you? Anyone know the history of this album?

BBKing LA Midnighit.jpg

I was under the impression that all copies of this LP are QS-encoded. I have one, but don’t recall anything about what the mix is like. Would love to hear your thoughts on the discrete version.

I have it and just opened it up. It had a few rings but I was able to get it straight. The pad was toast, but my WinGibs are still good. I am going to give it a try here in a bit. I just wondered if this was a desirable title. I'll report back on the mix if it plays

BBKing LA Inside.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. this is a great tape! Here's a look at the audio, it's the end of side 1, you can see the channel 'Click', then there's some studio talk between B.B. and others, very isolated and discrete, then they start playing THE BLUES!! Very nice. I can't wait to get this thing cleaned up. I'll have to find a way to let you all hear it somehow.

BB King Wav 2.jpg

So what do you think? Front Right should swap with Rear Left?

On the first pic it looks like left front should swap with left rear, but on the second one it looks like front right should swap with rear left. I've never heard of different channel swaps on the same tape, so it must be one or the other.

My guess would be front right with rear left as you say.

OK, for those of you with me today, here's a link to a few minutes of the tune "Midnight", with the studio talk at the beginning. I won't do the whole tune, but this should give you a feel for the tape. I kind of like it. Gonna make a USB for the car for sure.

NOTE: This link will disappear in a few.........

This file is in a 6 Channel wav format, with only the fronts and rears populated, obviously. The channels are 'as recorded', the audio is cleaned up a bit by me.

Sounds pretty good for an 8 track, I must say. Make sure you right click and save, if you try and play it from here, you'll get stereo:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Samples/SampleBBKing.wav

OK, for those of you with me today, here's a link to a few minutes of the tune "Midnight", with the studio talk at the beginning. I won't do the whole tune, but this should give you a feel for the tape. I kind of like it. Gonna make a USB for the car for sure.

NOTE: This link will disappear in a few.........

This file is in a 6 Channel wav format, with only the fronts and rears populated, obviously. The channels are 'as recorded', the audio is cleaned up a bit by me.

Sounds pretty good for an 8 track, I must say. Make sure you right click and save, if you try and play it from here, you'll get stereo:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Samples/SampleBBKing.wav
Wow... friggin awesome sounding Q8... definitely a channel swap in order... thanks for the snippet... this would be nice to hear in full one day :)

By the way, Jon, I'm not sure why but I just hit "play" and it played in quad (I didn't have to download it). Thanks for sharing!

I guess you're right. I just tried it on my (new) PC and it played quad right out of the gate!

PS - This would be a great D-V release, but I think the closest thing to a master tape that still exists for this title is this Q8! :)
I'd be happy to send D-V the wav's but they'd probably have to send a check to UMe/BBKing.

By the way, Jon, I'm not sure why but I just hit "play" and it played in quad (I didn't have to download it). Thanks for sharing!

I messed with the channels and could not come up with an option that was a no-brainer. I kept going back to the original. I guess this one is hard to pin down. I suppose you could put BB and "Earl" in the two front channels (studio talk) as that's really the only clue. I don't think BB should be in the left rear, but then again, who the heck knows?

I would say swap the Right Channels. On track 2, "Sweet Sixteen".... swapping the right channels gives you drums mostly in the front, piano in FR, Lucille all around and Horns very discretely in the back speakers. You will have to tweak the levels a bit because what was destined to be a rear channel was mastered in the front so is too loud - and what was mastered to be in the front channel is too quiet.

Playing it now.... and swapping rights also places the drums more prominently in the front and bass more prominently in the rear. It's sort of an "everything-everywhere" mix, but that's my 17 pesos worth.

Last edited:
I would say swap the Right Channels. On track 2, "I believe I've been lonely too long".... swapping the right channels gives you drums mostly in the front, piano in FR, Lucille all around and Horns very discretely in the back speakers.

Thanks. Nice to hear from an expert!

Sorry, I meant the song "Sweet Sixteen" puts the horns in the rears. "I believe I've been Blue too long" really gets discrete with bass solidly in the rears and drums front with guitars in the corners and Lucille and BB in all four.

Expert?? Nah. Just a dork with a lot of 8-tracks. :LOL:

Back