BBC Quad (H) broadcast of Shakti Concert: WAS: Where to post "Looking for {X} in surround?" {given unusual circumstances}

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried a decode of this one?
There would be no point Pupster, the BBC transcription disc (as shown in the video) is not encoded. The suffix 'S' indicates that it is stereo. If it were matrix quad it would have the suffix 'SQ', the label would carry the legend 'Stereo/SQ' and the cue sheet would explain how to play back a matrix record (whereas this disc's cue sheet just explains how to play this stereo record in mono). Transcription discs were not off air recordings.

Last edited:
Iā€™m pretty sure I recorded this off-air onto cassette, which must be in a box under the stairs - along with my cassette player which may or may not be functioning after many years in storage. Do I need to dig them out?
Only if it is a decent stereo recording of the one off quad broadcast in May 77, you have a Matrix H decoder and you like Shakti!

Not yet, I don't have matrix H decoder, what would be second best?
I thought it was similar to QS, so Involve SM or other; be easy enough to check.
I've used the SM2 in 4.0 Involve Mode to 'decode' Matrix H & HJ it works well on my tape of Genesis at Knebworth, which was a BBC Quad broadcast I recorded.

There would be no point Pupster, the BBC transcription disc (as shown in the video) is not encoded. The suffix 'S' indicates that it is stereo. If it were matrix quad it would have the suffix 'SQ', the label would carry the legend 'Stereo/SQ' and the cue sheet would explain how to play back a matrix record (whereas this disc's cue sheet just explains how to play this stereo record in mono). Transcription discs were not off air recordings.
Good post Soundfield, yep got excited and a ahead of myself on this one.

I believe this is the discogs page for this one:
https://www.discogs.com/Shakti-2-featuring-John-McLaughlin-In-Concert-153/release/10255210
Here is one with Trower which that shows the correct info, as an example:
https://www.discogs.com/Robin-Trower-Stereo-Pop-Special-89/master/1675144
For a shot of McLaughlin in Quad he's on the first SACD of this Japan 7"; even though I'm really not into this era of Miles, and think that McLaughlin goes off a little too much and taxes my nerves:
https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Live-Evil/release/14692824
But, one of my favorites of McLaughlin is on this CD (no not Quad) with the London Symphony Orchestra & Michael Tilson Thomas performing "Slow & Sad" which you might enjoy.
https://www.discogs.com/John-McLaug...abeque-Concerto-For-Guitar-Or/release/3868494

On this thread BBC Matrix H, MidiMagic says that moving the front speakers apart, adding SQ rear-left in front and SQ rear-right in back will enhance a QS decode of Matrix H. I don't have that speaker set up or any Matrix H recordings, but I do have separate Involve QS/SQ, I'll have to try it sometime.

On this thread BBC Matrix H, MidiMagic says that moving the front speakers apart, adding SQ rear-left in front and SQ rear-right in back will enhance a QS decode of Matrix H. I don't have that speaker set up or any Matrix H recordings, but I do have separate Involve QS/SQ, I'll have to try it sometime.
So, let me understand, you are going to do all of this -
"..fake a decode of H with an RM decoder, an SQ decoder, and 6 amps and speakers:
Set up the RM decoder in the usual way. Then add two more speakers, with SQ left back between the front speakers, and SQ right back between the back speakers.
"
-in order to inaccurately decode a matrix format you have no examples of?

So, let me understand, you are going to do all of this -
"..fake a decode of H with an RM decoder, an SQ decoder, and 6 amps and speakers:
Set up the RM decoder in the usual way. Then add two more speakers, with SQ left back between the front speakers, and SQ right back between the back speakers.
"
-in order to inaccurately decode a matrix format you have no examples of?
It's not likely happen to happen soon, but I had been planning to set up 4 side-center speakers already, if I come across a good recording I would give it a shot.

Just listened through the QSD-2, I don't think this recording is quad encoded, if so it's not very discrete, still an enjoyable show.

FWIW :
There is an unmarked HJ quad recording available to try . But it's not Shakti ,........................ it's Gentle Giant .
Gentle Giant -G G at the G G (Gentle Giant At The Golders Green). available on the Alucard Label in CD /DVD .
I got my copy from Burning Shed , and they may still have some.

FWIW :
There is an unmarked HJ quad recording available to try . But it's not Shakti ,........................ it's Gentle Giant .
Gentle Giant -G G at the G G (Gentle Giant At The Golders Green). available on the Alucard Label in CD /DVD .
There are two YT videos of this concert, the second one goes silent when you switch it to mono.

FWIW :
I got this after your recommendation a while ago and I can confirm that the Gentle Giant HJ Quad decodes well with the SM2 in Involve 4.0 mode

Unfortunately, the trail has gone cold on thee FB thread and person who posted he had a quad off the air recording of Shakti.
I'd been hoping he would join QQ, but I guess that won't be happening.
And that means we can't actually be sure the recording was quad encoded in BBC format.
Alas.

Back