HiRez Poll Beck - SEA CHANGE [DVD-A/SACD/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD/BDA of Beck - SEA CHANGE

• Total voters
Review #6

PACKAGING
EU DVDa edition. Nice accordion sleeve but with ultra tiny print which I can't read (grumbles the old guy).

CONTENT
My favorite Beck release. Super laid back, breakup CD which sonically fills the room with sound and tones instead of samples. Matches a thick summer day, or moments of solitude, or mellow Sunday afternoons. The bonus videos shot in LA were a nice addition.

5.1 + FIDELITY
Perfecto!! For me, the disc checks all the boxes for fidelity, warm bass, clear 5.1 separation...You name it! iDefinitely on the top shelf of my 5.1s!

SCORE
10+

Listening again to a new rejigged fix for the inverted fronts/LFE issue... The fix really does improve on something that was already perfect. Wow! Defo worth trying it out - there is considerable benefit. I’d already voted a 10. I mean I’d vote 100 if I could...

This is one of the best surround albums ever published. This is what music and surround is all about. Well done Beck and Elliot Scheiner! 😎

Never got into Beck, other than liking the Sexx laws video as a kid (tried the album a couple of times but didn't grab me).
Still, seeing the praise for Sea Change here I gave it a try, and wow, was I missing out! Brilliant album, great mix.
More soothing than 'depressing', which seems to get thrown around a lot (not that it's a bad thing but go listen to Nick Cave's Let Love In for a downer ending ;) ).

BTW, with those Godrich soundscapes here, I wish we could get some Radiohead in surround.. A lot of A Moon Shaped Pool does sound like this album.

Gets an easy 9 from me, as I still feel it could lose a track in the second half for a slightly tighter album, but maybe I just need to get more familiar with it.

Last edited:
Listened to the Blu Ray in surround a few times this weekend. It's a pretty low key album but there are some great haunting melodies on here. The surround mix is excellent as is the fidelity. Lonesome Tears and Lost Cause are beautiful songs made even sweeter in surround. A definite 10!

Just listened to my DVD-A, for the first time in awhile. Came here to vote, and now see that I already did, an easy 10. Bought this used in 2005 (on eBay for under $14 including shipping, I just discovered when I looked it up in Quicken to see when I bought it). I already had some other surround discs at that point, including a few really good ones like Rumours, Night At The Opera, and some of the classic-era Elton John SACDs. But something about Sea Change really took me to another level in my appreciation of multichannel music. The songs, arrangements, performances and production are all stellar, but the surround mix is what really carries it for me, and it's probably my favorite mix of all time, if I had to choose one. The Golden Age and Round The Bend are my favorite tracks on here, and they shine in surround. I know the musical style of this album isn't for everyone, but still I'd say it's a perfect reference disc to win over converts to surround music. I hope this mix makes it to the streaming platforms soon, so more people can hear it without spending a fortune for it on disc.

Just got a copy of Beck - Sea Change and listened to it for the first few times.
It's my first Beck recording and I thank QQ for turning my on to him. I voted a 9 but
could just as easily been a 10 I guest. The 5.1 mix and sound quality are about as
good as it gets, just a bit undecided on his music.
Can anyone recommend some more good albums by him like this, preferably multich?
TIA

Just got a copy of Beck - Sea Change and listened to it for the first few times.
It's my first Beck recording and I thank QQ for turning my on to him. I voted a 9 but
could just as easily been a 10 I guest. The 5.1 mix and sound quality are about as
good as it gets, just a bit undecided on his music.
Can anyone recommend some more good albums by him like this, preferably multich?
TIA
I found this one for $3! It is often available for >$10:
https://www.discogs.com/release/428290-Beck-GueroIt scores 8.84 on our poll
thread

@Sal1950 Morning Phase is probably the most like Sea Change, but none are really like it. Beck changes genre quite a bit. Started out as lo fi folk, Midnight Vultures is funk, etc.
Mutations is my favorite by far.
Guero is the only other one in MCH.
Edit: listened to mutations this morning and I still love it. I wish it had a surround mix. I wish I could mix it!

Last edited:
Yes Guero is his only other multichannel album. Odelay is often considered his high point but agree that Mutations and Midnight Vultures are great as well

If you want another taste of Beck in multichannel listen to track 4 (The Vagabond) on Air’s Atmos mix of 10000Hz Legend (streaming and Blu-ray)

Btw, Sea Change is top 5 all-time surround mix imho 👍

Morning Phase is probably the most like Sea Change, but none are really like it.
Thanks popshop and everone, Checking out Morning Phase on Apple now, nice. I'm mostly a prog -rock fan.
Funny Guero isn't on Apple?
Lets close this here and not contaminate the vote thread any more.
Cheeers.

Back