Blood, Sweat & Tears Q8

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
(edit, title originally should have read: Blood, Sweat & Tears Mirror Image Q8)

Just picked up this Q8 for a dollar. Saw it in a craigslist ad with a bunch of country and Elvis stereo tapes. It was the only Q8 the guy had. Only wanted $1 per tape. Had to go to a bad part of the city at night to snag it. In any case is this a good listen? Is it rare? I haven't seen much about it on the forum or elsewhere. It had a minor tension issue but I fixed it. Haven't given it a listen yet.

Last edited:
Great find! More rare than one would think, primarily because the several hit singles also appeared on B,S & T Greatest. Out of over 2000 albums I own, this is in my top 10. I've owned 9 copies of this including the SQ & Q8.

Just picked up this Q8 for a dollar. Saw it in a craigslist ad with a bunch of country and Elvis stereo tapes. It was the only Q8 the guy had. Only wanted $1 per tape. Had to go to a bad part of the city at night to snag it. In any case is this a good listen? Is it rare? I haven't seen much about it on the forum or elsewhere. It had a minor tension issue but I fixed it. Haven't given it a listen yet.

It's an OK tape. I prefer the GH myself, but the mixes on B,S&T II are slightly better. Note: this is technically Blood, Sweat and Tears II, as it is their second album.

Now I feel moronic. The title was supposed to originally read: Blood, Sweat & Tears Mirror Image Q8

Which is the tape I got. I started this thread on a smartphone on the toilet last night and the battery was dying (it actually died right after I hit submit).

The album is Mirror Image, not the s/t.

Sorry for the confusion.

New fangled Technology! Hmmph. Mirror Image is one of their later ones past their peak as far as i figure. Still pretty good and quite rare. Definitely worth more than you paid for it. Hope you find more! Nothing worse than playing the snot out of out a few tapes until you're sick of them.

Hope you're surviving the weather OK.

140.jpg
Blood-Sweat--Tears-Mirror-Image---Qu-366299-991.jpg

Back cover:
Blood,+Sweat+%u002526+Tears.jpg

This one was a poor seller in both Quad and stereo. Too Bad, because it is a very good album, although not their best. It was the third and last album with Jerry Fisher as lead vocalist. They actually had two lead vocalists on this album. Jerry LaCroix from Edgar Winter's White Trash was the second. Look Up to the Sky is one of the classic B, S & T tracks of all time. If you like B, S & T or horn bands, you owe it to yourself to get this one.

I never had a Q8 of this, but the SQ, which was my original copy, is one of my most cherished Quads. Sadly, LaCroix's Mean Old World never made it to this album, although it was run on a promotional TV special at the time. David Clayton-Thomas appropriated that for B, S & T's live repetoire when he returned. His version can be heard on B, S & T Live in Concert, aka Live and Improvised.

I figured it must have been a poor seller cause I have seen the stereo LP of this maybe once or twice at most. And I look through a lot of LPs!

The one album that BS&T didn't release or re-release in quad, which would have been nice, was the actual first album "Child is father to the man". The only album with Al Kooper. A couple of the songs were re-mixed for the Greatest Hits, but the whole album was never done in quad. I have the self-titled (2nd album) as an SQ record. I'll have to listen to it again someday, as it seems that I read that "Spinning Wheel" was the only song on that album mixed in 4 channel. The only downside to the "Spinning Wheel" mix is that they didn't include the 'carousel' music at the end.

"Child is Father" was at least attempted. 8 songs from the album were mixed to Quad before being abandoned. Also, the Mike Robin reel of B,S&T has the album version of 'Spinning Wheel'. I'm not sure what you mean by: "it seems that I read that "Spinning Wheel" was the only song on that album mixed in 4 channel"..... The Greatest Hits Q8 is definitely true Quad, but as I mentioned before, the GH was remixed slightly and is less discrete than B,S&TII. So, it could be that it just does not decode well through SQ, but it's definitely Quad!

This is a completely different group from either Child or B, S & T (II.) Only Bobby Colomby, the drummer, shown on the upper left of the back cover is left from either of the first two albums. In fact, Dave Bargeron, pictured immediately below Colomby, is the only other member who goes back as far as B, S & T 4, the last album which includes Clayton-Thomas, who went solo. He ultimately returned for New City, the album which followed this one, also available in Quad.

Although their first two albums are the best, the seven studio albums that followed on Columbia are all very, very good. The live albums on Sony (later Columbia) and Avenue, as well as the ABC album not yet on CD and the MCA album are all worth owning and have no more than 10 substandard tracks among the lot of them. Despite the mega success they had initially, this is one of the most highly underrated bands EVER.

Because they made neither the original soundtrack or the movie, few people know that this band was at Woodstock.

A few years ago when I met Al Kooper, he told me that Child was mixed for SACD 5.1, as was Super Session. Neither mix was ever released. As Medkill stated, I Can't Quit Her and I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know were also mixed in Quad for Greatest Hits, as was the entire Super Session album.

Delving further into their ouvre will yield the listener great riches.

Live in Germany: Look up to the Sky (from Mirror Image) with both the blonde Fisher and raven-haired LaCroix on lead vocals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjXCCAK7wlM

This title was in EVERY 8-track cut-out bin in the late '70s, early '80s. Could not give them away. Woolco, Zayre's, you name it, it was in that $2 bin. A sad fate for many a Q8.

Yeah, even my copy of Mirror Image came in still sealed. Sometimes makes me wonder if there's a warehouse somewhere just crammed full of all the returns that a store couldn't sell.

I should consider it another plus that my copy is not a cutout bin copy (not that I usually would even be concerned with that).

Out of all my searching for Q8's this weekend. Guess what I found? Nother copy of this. This one though, is not like the regular one. It has a pinkish bacground label and is a one piece label. I don't think its a record club copy since there is no reference to that. Not sure what this varioation is. Maybe earlier or later copy?

Sounds like a Canadian tape. There's two copies of B,S&T II on eBay right now. Actually, quite a load of Q8's on the 'bay lately. There's even a blue-cartridge version of John Lee Hooker's "Never Get out of these Blues Alive". I'm going whole-hog on that one. Don't care what it costs me.

Sounds like a Canadian tape. There's two copies of B,S&T II on eBay right now. Actually, quite a load of Q8's on the 'bay lately. There's even a blue-cartridge version of John Lee Hooker's "Never Get out of these Blues Alive". I'm going whole-hog on that one. Don't care what it costs me.

Good luck with that auction! And you are right about it being a canadian tape. It's stamped "Canada" in the back of the case, didn't notice that before. So now I have the american and canadian copy of Mirror Image.

Back