Blu-ray File Extraction And Playback: Questions & Answers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Bruzonsky

400 Club - QQ All-Star
I have ripped and played all 4 of the new Quadios. However, whereas the other three rip correctly using DVD-Audio Extractor (and AnyDVDHA), showing 192-24 titles in stereo and in quad, the Billion Dollar Babies only shows 20 tracks in quad. So I ripped them in quad and only the last 10 tracks ripped showing they are quad both via JRiver and also ROON. But when I played them in ROON although ROON shows 4.0, there is NO sound out of the rear speakers at all. NOTHING! Also, in an attempt to get a true stereo rip, I set DVD Audio Extractor to rip stereo and it ripped the first 10 tracks, which play fine in stereo.

I am reripping the disc to see if I am deluded or if Rhino made a rhino error on Billion Dollar Babies with a ONE DOLLAR disc?

I have ripped and played all 4 of the new Quadios. However, whereas the other three rip correctly using DVD-Audio Extractor (and AnyDVDHA), showing 192-24 titles in stereo and in quad, the Billion Dollar Babies only shows 20 tracks in quad. So I ripped them in quad and only the last 10 tracks ripped showing they are quad both via JRiver and also ROON. But when I played them in ROON although ROON shows 4.0, there is NO sound out of the rear speakers at all. NOTHING! Also, in an attempt to get a true stereo rip, I set DVD Audio Extractor to rip stereo and it ripped the first 10 tracks, which play fine in stereo.

I am reripping the disc to see if I am deluded or if Rhino made a rhino error on Billion Dollar Babies with a ONE DOLLAR disc?

Reripped disc, DVD Audio Extractor which convers on the fly from DTS-HD to quad FLAC, and no different.
Now trying DVD Audio Extractor, ripping to DTS files, which I'll then use JRiver to convert to FLAC, and see if any different?

Steve,
It seems that the stereo rips for Billion Dollar Babies are showing up as 4.0 just like the true Quad rips. You should get 20 rips that all look like 4.0 in Roon. 10 of these will actually be stereo (2.0) and 10 will actually be quad (4.0). You may want to try MKV and MMH.

Reripped disc, DVD Audio Extractor which convers on the fly from DTS-HD to quad FLAC, and no different.
Now trying DVD Audio Extractor, ripping to DTS files, which I'll then use JRiver to convert to FLAC, and see if any different?

Well, I took one reripped track as above and converted from DTS to FLAC - and PRESTO, now I have quad and sounds quite nice! WEIRD!

Some where way back in the thread wasn't it mentioned that some choices had to be made due to differing Track lengths of Quad & Stereo?
What I'm telling you is that I ripped quad tracks (per JRiver and ROON showing this), but when I play them, only one track gives me rears and actual quad and all other tracks play stereo only. Don't just rip, listen and tell me if you find different!

For any follow album rippers out there, you may confused by the audio stream on Billion Dollar Babies (because I was). Hope this helps clear things up. The first 10 tracks on Title 2 are the quad release, and the next 10 are stereo (with two silent audio channels for the back speakers). This semi-confusing authoring was probably done so you can access all the tracks from a single page. Separate chapter names are necessary as the quad and stereo mixes feature different lengths.
1688442938660.png

Please ask your rip questions in the ripping thread section. You’ll likely get a quicker response. Thanks.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forums/multichannel-media-players-file-storage-ripping.91/
Thanks. Thanks to another poster, I realized what happened. The first 10 tracks in title 2 are quad, the next 10 tracks are stereo but in 4 quad tracks with the surround tracks empty. But I set DVD Audio Extractor to rip all 20 tracks. So it ripped the first 10 quad tracks, then in ripping the next 10 stereo (in quad) tracks it replaced and erased the first 10. Now all I have to do is rerip and only rip the first 10 quad tracks and not check the second 10 tracks! WHOA!

Last edited:
For any follow album rippers out there, you may confused by the audio stream on Billion Dollar Babies (because I was). Hope this helps clear things up. The first 10 tracks on Title 2 are the quad release, and the next 10 are stereo (with two silent audio channels for the back speakers). This semi-confusing authoring was probably done so you can access all the tracks from a single page. Separate chapter names are necessary as the quad and stereo mixes feature different lengths.
View attachment 93488

Thanks. Now I get it. When I ripped using DVD Audio Extractor, and I ripped the entire 20 tracks, the first 10 quad tracks ripped, but then got replaced by the next 10 quad but really only stereo tracks. HA! That explains it!

I have the PAST CTA and Aretha releases, and the Quadio boxes from Chicago and the Doobies. SO when these 4 newest releases came out - I received them and COMPARED them to earlier UNOFFICIAL QUAD releases I obtained from various sources....and was QUITE IMPRESSED!!!!!. The QUAD channels matched and were improved in sound quality! I hope Rhino continues releasing additional albums in their ORIGINAL QUAD mixes.

Thanks. Now I get it. When I ripped using DVD Audio Extractor, and I ripped the entire 20 tracks, the first 10 quad tracks ripped, but then got replaced by the next 10 quad but really only stereo tracks. HA! That explains it!
Yes, I noticed the same situation ripping mine for server play on my home system. SO if you noticed when ripping these, tracks 11-20 STILL RIPPED 4 channels, but when I played them individually IT ALL MADE SENSE. Only the first 2 channels had sound...these were the stereo mixes. Why did they do this? Well, the QUAD mix had very significant differences than their stereo counterparts - especially in song length. Therefore to ease the switching between both mixes that is way they authored the BD. That's okay, I get it!
I tend to rip my discs with DVD/BD Audio Extractor to show me each channel in WAV format. Then I decide where to go from there...I can REMIX, and then re-encode to 5.1 Dolby or DTS....etc...I put them on my home server so I can play them on machines in my house. if I re-encode to DTS, I can burn the resulting multitrack files to a CD or DVD and play them in my care that supports DTS and Dolby 5.1 surround but in CD and DVD only. Have fun!

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but maybe someone can answer my question here. I have a 5.1 system and recently purchased to poke up firing speakers. I hooked them up to height one. When I play Apple 4K TV I get the atmos signal and front Dolby left and right are active. Same thing when I play a Blu-Ray disc. But when I play my Atmos wave files the front Dolby speakers are not active and I do not get the Dolby display light. Can the Apple udp203 play Dolby files? I can give some more information for more details. Thanks in advance

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but maybe someone can answer my question here. I have a 5.1 system and recently purchased to poke up firing speakers. I hooked them up to height one. When I play Apple 4K TV I get the atmos signal and front Dolby left and right are active. Same thing when I play a Blu-Ray disc. But when I play my Atmos wave files the front Dolby speakers are not active and I do not get the Dolby display light. Can the Apple udp203 play Dolby files? I can give some more information for more details. Thanks in advance
If they are decoded Atmos files, so into multi-channel .wav then AFAIK all the Meta data for positioning has been lost, so your amp won't know what to do with them as it is no longer Atmos, so the heights won't work. If it was Atmos into a container file like MKV then I think it should work.

Last edited:
If they are decoded Atmos files, so into multi-channel .wav then AFAIK all the Mata data for positioning has been lost, so your amp won't know what to do with them as it is no longer Atmos, so the heights won't work. If it was Atmos into a container file like MKV then I think it should work.
OK, thanks for that. I'll try an .MKV file and see if that works.
I wonder if there is any way to modify the .wav file to direct those two channels to the Front Dolby pair.

Apple 4K TV - ATMOS sent and received, Dolby pair enabled:

PXL_20230813_212202535.jpg

Oppo UDP 203 - .wav file - Surround Back L/R sent - downmixed to 5.1 - no Dolby signal, Dolby Front Pair not active.

PXL_20230813_213626771.jpg

Oppo UDP 203 - Blu-Ray disc - ATMOS sent and received - Front Dolby pair is active.

PXL_20230814_015213202.jpg

OK, thanks for that. I'll try an .MKV file and see if that works.
I wonder if there is any way to modify the .wav file to direct those two channels to the Front Dolby pair.
I don't believe there is, I think the maximum is a flat 7.1 format, so only allows for LFE, FL & FR, C, SL & SR, SBL & SBR

Back