Buddy Rich SQ Encoded LaserDisc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disclord

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Plattsburg, MO (just outside Kansas City)
For those of you who are fans of the drummer Buddy Rich and bought Gary Reber's quadraphonic DVD of his 1985 Buddy Rich production - and if you have an LD player and Fosgate Tate II or another good SQ decoder - get the LaserDisc release. It's better than the DVD.

Some background:
Back in 1985 Pioneer Artists released an SQ LaserDisc of drummer Buddy Rich - it was a co-production between Buddy Rich and Ruggles-Reber Productions, who also owned Tate Audio and the Tate DES IC's and patents. The Buddy Rich session was encoded directly to SQ with a 16-channel CBS Position Encoder that had been modified for better sound (higher quality op-amps and and other components in the phase shifter section, etc.) and the 2 channel Position Encoded SQ output was recorded directly to Sony 1610 PCM digital on U-Matic tape while the NTSC video was recorded to C-type VTR. Anyway, Pioneer released it on LD with SQ PCM audio, although Pioneer Video would not allow the SQ logo on the front or back disc jacket or disc label- only a statement on the back jacket that it's "An SQ/Tate System Surround Stereo Recording" was allowed - they did allow Reber to have an insert showing microphone placement and explaining SQ and all the equipment used. Sony released it on their "Video 45" label as one of the few pre-recorded Super Beta Hi-Fi tapes. Mobile Fidelity also released it on LP and CD in SQ (since that was the only master made)

A few years ago Gary Reber re-issued the program on DVD, but because it was mixed directly to SQ, there was no multi-track masters to remix into surround sound, so he used his own Fosgate Tate II 101A to decode the digital U-Matic SQ master and re-encode it to dts 4.0 for the DVD (sadly, they didn't include the 2-channel SQ encoded mix on the DVD, only the Tate decoded one). I've always thought the DVD sounded really good and 'quaddy', but I recently ran across the Buddy Rich LaserDisc on eBay for 99 cents with 3 dollar shipping - so I bought it. It arrived recently and wow, in comparison with my Fosgate, Gary Reber's Fosgate Tate II decoder wasn't working very well when he made the DVD - the LD as decoded through my Fosgate Tate II sounds much more discrete, with better phantom imaging and there is much less channel leakage - when compared, the DVD sounds like it has maybe 10-12 db of separation between channels front-to-back whereas the LD, via my Fosgate, sounds almost discrete. It's an amazing difference, and yet the DVD in no way sounds 'bad' - by itself it's very impressive - I just think Reber's Fosgate was a bit out of alignment (the DVD's release notes say they had to go through three 101A's to find one that worked right - I'm surprised Reber kept 3 of them!) I wonder how it would sound decoded with Oxforddickie's PC decoding process?

One thing I've never understood about this recording is why it was done when it was? When it was recorded and released in late 1985, the Fosgate Tate II decoder had been out of production for almost a year (and had never sold in large numbers anyway); no Tate II chips had been made by Exar in a few years; Dolby had cut their ties with Tate Audio after stocking up on enough Tate DES chips to get them by for 3 years or so, and Tate Audio was just about bankrupt from all the back and forth lawsuits between them and National Semiconductor over the original Tate chips that weren't made correctly. (the original Tate DES patent had even expired in the UK in 1983 because Wes Ruggles didn't have enough money to pay the yearly patent maintenance fees) And no company was at all interested in bringing forth a new decoder that decoded SQ; to everyone in the industry, the future was Dolby Stereo compatible surround sound for home theater - all the independent decoder companies like Fosgate, Aphex and Shure, were directing their energy at custom logic systems to decode Dolby Stereo, not kludging Tate IC's with extensive add-on circuits to make the Tate DES decode Dolby Stereo. Dolby was, by then, already beginning work on what would eventually become Pro-Logic because they wanted their own patented logic design they could license to consumer electronics companies and to have a 'perfected' decoding system for their theater decoders. Making the Tate IC's work to decode Dolby Stereo wasn't cheap and Dolby knew no more IC's would be made. They wanted the control and quality they were used to with their own Noise Reduction designs and licensing.

Yet the insert for the Buddy Rich LaserDisc talks about the Tate System SQ format and decoders as if both have some kind of bright future and a consumer will have a slew of decoders and recordings to choose from - it never mentions either the Audionics or Fosgate decoders - just Tate System/SQ Decoders and that it is a SQ/Tate System 360 Spherical Surround Stereo recording. It's like Reber and Ruggles had some weird 'fantasy' that SQ and the Tate DES would make some major comeback.

Anyway, if you've got an LD player and a good SQ decoder, pick up this LD if you can get it for cheap. The highest price I've seen for it on eBay is 20 dollars. If you haven't heard the program (or of Buddy Rich) at all, get the DVD from Netflix - it's a good program with great music that even through Reber's less-than-optimal Fosgate decoder, sounds nice.

Hmmm... What was the title?

Ok, have found it: Mr Drums - Live on King Street

OD

I believe this was issued on DVD called something like 'The Lost Tapes', and the DVD features a 4.0 DTS track that was created from a Fosgate Tate 101 decode of the original SQ soundtrack.

My idea is to do a release for the blog so need the raw encoded track

OD

Expect the full version (double the size of the LaserDisc release) in due course. Thanks to Disclord for pointing me in the right direction.....

OD

The LD is so good in quad via the Fosgate Tate II 101A that PC SQ decoding of the double-CD release will be a stunner - and since it was Position Encoded directly to SQ and recorded straight to digital tape, with PC SQ decoding, it will be a full digital SQ recording from start to finish. It's probably the last commercial SQ recording released too.

Picking up a long dormant thread here, I bought this disc and have been using the Surround Master to play it back. It's a very nice sounding laserdisc and the recording is rich and dynamic. The surround mix is really well thought out and sounds great via the SM. I reproduce the cover and liner notes for those interested. I ended up transferring the LD via a S-Video convertor that's made by the company I work for to a ProRes encoder we also make (I even borrowed the Laserdisc player from our QA archive) so I could remaster the video myself. Turns out the softening they did with mesh stockings on the rear elements of the camera lenses limited the HD-scaling I could do, although the colors are much nicer on my version. It's an oddity for sure and one I had fun archiving. The Japanese version SQ encoded Laserdisc version of David Bowie's 'Serious Moonlight' is next, followed by the Dolby Surround encoded 'Jazzin' For Blue Jean'.

IMG_3087.jpgIMG_3089.jpgIMG_3090.jpgIMG_3091.jpgIMG_3092.jpg

Last edited:
Quick addition to this thread; I was unaware that Disclord had passed away and edited my post slightly to change a word which though innocent in writing, seemed to lack respect. Without his insightful posts about movie surround formats and laserdisc curios like the one above I would have missed out on an awful lot. I remember Jon Urban posting about the death of a very prominent member with real pathos and although I do not post an awful lot I do read much of what is posted. I'm hugely grateful to the legacy of departed QQers, I used Cai Campbell's DPLII settings to first decode QS. It's poignant that this amazing forum gives life to the formats that have passed on and those departed QQers who posted about them.

That must be some trick to decode one quadraphonic matrix and then encode into another. Unless the matrix systems are quite similar, crosstalk in the decode would mess up the encode.

That must be some trick to decode one quadraphonic matrix and then encode into another. Unless the matrix systems are quite similar, crosstalk in the decode would mess up the encode.

You're absolutely right, if that was the case. Per Disclord:
there was no multi-track masters to remix into surround sound, so he used his own Fosgate Tate II 101A to decode the digital U-Matic SQ master and re-encode it to dts 4.0 for the DVD

So it was not a case of matrix decode to matrix encode. DTS 4.0 is 4 ch's of discrete audio information so no re-encode to a matrix.

The Buddy Rich disc was recorded to SQ just like Serious Moonlight, no separate stereo or discrete quad version exists. Buddy Rich was released on CD by Mobile Fidelity as well. The practice of decoding and "re-encoding" as discrete would be done for compatibility with the DVD. I would much rather do the decoding myself! I would avoid the DVD release. Sad that many more of these SQ encodes were not released!

Hopefully they didn't decode the SQ and then re-encode as Dolby surround, as you say that would be a mess! Again I would suggest avoiding the DVD!

Edit: Reading Discord's original post, it's clear that the original SQ was not put on the DVD. Stereo listening would then have to be reconstructed from the dts 4.0! Yuck!!!

Last edited:
IIRC, they used a Tate SQ decoder to create 4.0 channels and then used both DD and DTS to store the 4.0 channel content on the DVD.

My Sony Blu-ray players will downmix DD, DTS, [and, depending on which player - MCH DSD] to Dolby Surround.

I recently listened to my DVD w/DD and DTS 4.0 decoding, I didn't hear any (Tate SQ decoder) logic action artifacts.

Kirk Bayne

Also, the "making of" DVD video mentions that there was a plan to rent SQ position encoders, I wonder what happened to that plan.

Kirk Bayne

The YouTube info doesn't mention the SQ matrix quad encoding - the stereo audio (Firefox browser) from this video has fairly good directionality played with DPL2 music.

Kirk Bayne

The YouTube info doesn't mention the SQ matrix quad encoding - the stereo audio (Firefox browser) from this video has fairly good directionality played with DPL2 music.
With YouTube you have to consider what their very heavy lossy compression of the audio might have done to the SQ matrix encoding. It must be matrix encoded since there isn't any other master.

I recently listened to my DVD w/DD and DTS 4.0 decoding, I didn't hear any (Tate SQ decoder) logic action artifacts.
As per DiscLord's notes elsewhere (possibly on OD's old blog), the recording sessions were monitored through a Tate decoder to ensure the CBS 16 position encoder wasn't generating anything that would cause decode issues.

As per DiscLord's notes elsewhere (possibly on OD's old blog), the recording sessions were monitored through a Tate decoder to ensure the CBS 16 position encoder wasn't generating anything that would cause decode issues.
It's in the liner notes supplied with the MFSL CD.

Back