Can AnyDVD back-up DVD-A's and remove their encryption?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea - I found this out yesterday when I was going to rip the blu ray of Robin Trower "Bridges of Sighs". I also went to the Redfox website on my laptop and iphone and - it can't be found, unable to connect to server. Now need new software to decrypt blu rays for ripping (for personal use). Any suggestions?

I just used MakeMKV on "Bridge of Sighs" followed by ImgBurn to make an ISO file. Slower than AnyDVD, but functional.
DVDFab ripped BOS perfectly for me.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ping-w-dvd-audio-extractor.36146/#post-783351

Thanks you guys!

I did what Pat suggested, and using MakeMKV and then mkvtoolnix I was able to get individual numbered mkv tracks. Then I used JRiverMC and loaded the mkv files and converted to FLAC (or WAV) for use in ROON music software. I looked up and labeled tracks via the Super Deluxe Edition website and Discogs.

In Makemkv, at the Preferences - Integration, I checked the Windows 32 & 64 boxes, then restarted my laptop, to see if by chance it would integrate DVD Audio Extractor simply using the disc. This didn't work.

Next I will try Mark's method of selecting Backup from the File menu and backing up the entire disc, then running DVD Audio Extractor on the disc file as the source folder, and see if this works! Hopefully!

Also what's nifty now I've learned how to easily rip the music tracks in mkv from Dolby Atmos blu rays. Currently, as I have a Kaleidescape system with a DV-700 disc vault, I have all of my Dolby Atmos music discs in the vault, and I play them via one of my Kaleidescape Alto blu ray players (music is streamed from the vault, via hardwired ethernet, to the Alto and then out HDMI to a surround sound processor). My vault is at capacity and I have wanted to simply rip the Dolby Atmos music when its only blu ray audio with no appreciable video to a portable SSB drive, which plugs into one of my blu ray players which will play via USB.

Hopefully AnyDVD HD will come back. But if it does, as I have a lifetime license, I bet a "new company" doesn't honor the lifetime license (this happened back in 2015-2016 once before) and will require brand new payment for a lifetime license. So assuming Mark's method works I'll probably just continue in that fashio;n.

Again, thanks everyone.
WOW! I did the backup of the new Robin Trower "Bridge of Sighs" blu ray to my laptop SSD (not a HDD), took maybe 25 minutes, then ran DVD Audio Extractor using that file folder and bam, worked fine. And like you said, very fast, ripped the 5.1 album in a few minutes!!!! No need to ever go back to AnyDVD HD! YEA!

in time i have problem to get flac from DVD-Audio.
If i open DVD-A or an ISO from DVD-A
DVDAE opened it and shows me that there is a MLP track
but if i start programm flac size in destination folder is only a few KB.

in time i have problem to get flac from DVD-Audio.
If i open DVD-A or an ISO from DVD-A
DVDAE opened it and shows me that there is a MLP track
but if i start programm flac size in destination folder is only a few KB.
Probably helpful to mention the disc's name title.

I tried 4 disc and no one was OK
David Gray a new day at midnight
Heinz Rudolf Kunze Dabei sein ist Alles
and this two i`ve done to flac last year and now by fail
Mickey Hart Best off
R.E.M. Out of Time

Last edited:
Found
AnyDVD was working, i must turn it off. Any was not in contact with server, side is down, but if i start PC, anyDVD wants to work

Not sure if this has been answered already (and may be a stupid question), but here goes:
If I backup my DVD-Audio discs to ISO files (using Anydvd), what can I do with the ISO file?
I know I can rip the DVD-A discs directly to FLAC (and other formats) using DVD Audio Extractor, but what about ISO files of the same disc?
TIA.
Foobar will play the DVD-Audio directly from the iso, but you'll have to install the DVD-Audio plugin.

When I had AnyDVD HD on my Windows 11 laptop, on occasion ripping a DVD-Audio disc, DVD Audio Extractor wouldn't rip or would rip a tiny file size. Uninstalled AnyDVD HD and DVD-Audio discs ripped fine. Otherwise I've never had an issue ripping DVD Audio discs with DVD Audio Extractor over the years and I've ripped many of them.

There is a handy program called DVDFab.
I stumbled upon a free alternative to DVDFab for ripping DVD-A to ISO. Not easier, but an alternative.

Use Foobar2000 with the dvdadecoder software component installed, and open the AUDIO_TS.IFO file in your optical disc's AUDIO_TS folder. Foobar will populate with the various MLP MCH and Stereo tracks. Right click on any of them, select "File Operations / Copy To...". By default mine came up with "File name pattern" of %filename%. If it doesn't, put that string in the box. Check "Copy entire source folder content". Then click on the "..." in the "Destination folder:" box, and choose a folder on your hard drive. Click "Run", and after a few minutes the various .AOB files and all of the other files in AUDIO_TS will be decrypted and copied.

Next, use your favorite tool for decrypting and copying VIDEO_TS folders from DVDs (not for extracting/recoding the video, but for copying the various .VOB and other files under VIDEO_TS/). The very old original DVD Decrypter works fine, and it still works in Windows 10.

Once you have your separate decrypted and copied VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, put them inside a new folder. Then use Imgburn to create an ISO from the top level folder contents. Imgburn will notice a non-empty AUDIO_TS folder and will advise you on creating a DVD-A ISO.

I just tried this with one of the Talking Heads dual discs (DVD side obviously), and my jail-broken Oppo happily played it as both DVD-A and DVD-V. I'm hoping to use this technique to rescue a DVD-A that DVDFab won't copy because of corrupt sectors, but which plays correctly in my Oppo. Those corrupt sectors might be an accident or perhaps they were put there on purpose.

I stumbled upon a free alternative to DVDFab for ripping DVD-A to ISO. Not easier, but an alternative.

Use Foobar2000 with the dvdadecoder software component installed, and open the AUDIO_TS.IFO file in your optical disc's AUDIO_TS folder. Foobar will populate with the various MLP MCH and Stereo tracks. Right click on any of them, select "File Operations / Copy To...". By default mine came up with "File name pattern" of %filename%. If it doesn't, put that string in the box. Check "Copy entire source folder content". Then click on the "..." in the "Destination folder:" box, and choose a folder on your hard drive. Click "Run", and after a few minutes the various .AOB files and all of the other files in AUDIO_TS will be decrypted and copied.

Next, use your favorite tool for decrypting and copying VIDEO_TS folders from DVDs (not for extracting/recoding the video, but for copying the various .VOB and other files under VIDEO_TS/). The very old original DVD Decrypter works fine, and it still works in Windows 10.

Once you have your separate decrypted and copied VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, put them inside a new folder. Then use Imgburn to create an ISO from the top level folder contents. Imgburn will notice a non-empty AUDIO_TS folder and will advise you on creating a DVD-A ISO.

I just tried this with one of the Talking Heads dual discs (DVD side obviously), and my jail-broken Oppo happily played it as both DVD-A and DVD-V. I'm hoping to use this technique to rescue a DVD-A that DVDFab won't copy because of corrupt sectors, but which plays correctly in my Oppo. Those corrupt sectors might be an accident or perhaps they were put there on purpose.
I tried this a while back and it didn't work for me. What version of Foo are you using?

I tried this a while back and it didn't work for me. What version of Foo are you using?
Foobar2000 1.6.16, and foo_input_dvda-0.7.3.

This process did work to rescue the DVD-A with bad sectors (Barenaked Ladies Are Me, Disc 2). My two copies have sector errors in VIDEO_TS files, and DVDFab won't run to completion. But Foo grabbed all of AUDIO_TS, and I used dvdbackup on Linux to grab VIDEO_TS (this fills bad sectors with zeros but runs to completion otherwise). The resulting ISO plays fine.

Do you recall which DVD-A you were trying to rip this way? If I have a copy I can give it a try.

Foobar2000 1.6.16, and foo_input_dvda-0.7.3.

This process did work to rescue the DVD-A with bad sectors (Barenaked Ladies Are Me, Disc 2). My two copies have sector errors in VIDEO_TS files, and DVDFab won't run to completion. But Foo grabbed all of AUDIO_TS, and I used dvdbackup on Linux to grab VIDEO_TS (this fills bad sectors with zeros but runs to completion otherwise). The resulting ISO plays fine.

Do you recall which DVD-A you were trying to rip this way? If I have a copy I can give it a try.
I do not remember now which one I tried to rip, but I'm using Foo v2.x x64.
But all my DVDA's are ripped already to .iso so...I guess it doesn't matter unless I suffer an overwhelming data loss.

Still, good to know it's been successful for some.

I do not remember now which one I tried to rip, but I'm using Foo v2.x x64.
Interesting.

I discovered this by reading through the documentation for foo_input_dvda at their Sourceforge site, which I had stumbled upon because I was looking for a Linux port of libdvdcpxm (there is both a Linux port and a Mac port, for me to play with later - look for DVDAuth in GitHub, has to be built from source). The functionality for DVD-A is implemented in the foo_input_dvda source code, but it's certainly possible v2.x has broken how it's called.

Later this evening I'll try a v2.x version of Foo and this technique.

I'm also most interested in whether DVDAuth works for Linux, in which case copying out AUDIO_TS/ will be easy there.

Interesting.

I discovered this by reading through the documentation for foo_input_dvda at their Sourceforge site, which I had stumbled upon because I was looking for a Linux port of libdvdcpxm (there is both a Linux port and a Mac port, for me to play with later - look for DVDAuth in GitHub, has to be built from source). The functionality for DVD-A is implemented in the foo_input_dvda source code, but it's certainly possible v2.x has broken how it's called.

Later this evening I'll try a v2.x version of Foo and this technique.

I'm also most interested in whether DVDAuth works for Linux, in which case copying out AUDIO_TS/ will be easy there.
I should have elaborated on previous comment. It was pointed out to me a few months ago that Foo with the DVDA component would do as you say.
I tried it with my current setup and did not work. I'm usually more aggressive about such, but I have my entire surround collection ripped, and days of late fly by like minutes for me.
Still, digital being stored even on several HDD's is subject to go away like smoke. So should I need to re-rip and DVDFab falls on it's face, it's good to have an alternate method. :)

Back