Can AnyDVD back-up DVD-A's and remove their encryption?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience is that AnyDVD (always the latest version) doesn’t work with the AUDIO_TS portion of the many DVD-A disks I’ve tried. The “Rip to Image” option pops a dialog window warning, essentially, that you should use their CloneDVD app to write an ISO file, but when you launch it (the current version is called CloneDVD2) the app specifically says it will copy the video portion of the DVD (which it does, so you get the non-MLP audio in the VIDEO_TS folder, but no AUDIO_TS files). In AnyDVD you can select to “Rip to Image” anyway and get an ISO, but that resulting ISO can’t be played (FOOBAR, or on my jailbroken Oppo 203) nor can DVD Audio Extract pull out the MLP files after mounting with Virtual Clone Drive. Also, after AnyDVD has scanned your DVD-A, you can access the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, and FOOBAR will display the MLP audio files, but won’t play or convert them.

On the other hand, DVDFab works on all of my DVD-A disks, and I’ve ripped all of them to ISOs. I play them back without a problem on the Oppo. I can also use Virtual Clone Drive against the ISO and DVD Audio Extract can pull out the MLPs. Also FOOBAR can play the files from that mounted ISO.

So I’ve given up on AnyDVD for DVD-A, although it works great for BluRays.

I should note that in DVDFab you have to explicitly check an option to process the AUDIO_TS folder.

My experience is that AnyDVD (always the latest version) doesn’t work with the AUDIO_TS portion of the many DVD-A disks I’ve tried. The “Rip to Image” option pops a dialog window warning, essentially, that you should use their CloneDVD app to write an ISO file, but when you launch it (the current version is called CloneDVD2) the app specifically says it will copy the video portion of the DVD (which it does, so you get the non-MLP audio in the VIDEO_TS folder, but no AUDIO_TS files). In AnyDVD you can select to “Rip to Image” anyway and get an ISO, but that resulting ISO can’t be played (FOOBAR, or on my jailbroken Oppo 203) nor can DVD Audio Extract pull out the MLP files after mounting with Virtual Clone Drive. Also, after AnyDVD has scanned your DVD-A, you can access the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, and FOOBAR will display the MLP audio files, but won’t play or convert them.

On the other hand, DVDFab works on all of my DVD-A disks, and I’ve ripped all of them to ISOs. I play them back without a problem on the Oppo. I can also use Virtual Clone Drive against the ISO and DVD Audio Extract can pull out the MLPs. Also FOOBAR can play the files from that mounted ISO.

So I’ve given up on AnyDVD for DVD-A, although it works great for BluRays.

I should note that in DVDFab you have to explicitly check an option to process the AUDIO_TS folder.
May we have different versions?

I have the last version of RedFox AnyDVD HD and does not tell me to use the CloneDVD. The DVD-A rip to image that I have done, generates a full ISO with the complete content of the AUDIO_TS folder. I can mount it with PowerISO and explore the *.AOB files, extract/convert to WAV 5.1 with DVD-Audio Explorer and Play the MLP 5.1 with jailbroken Oppo 203 (with DVD-Audio Mode: DVD-Audio)

May we have different versions?
I’m running AnyDVD 8.6.8.0.

It could also be the particular disks I suppose. I confirmed as I wrote the earlier message that my Foreigner 4 would not work with AnyDVD, either directly or trying to use the ISO copy. But the ISO from DVDFab worked fine.

My apologies. The dialog box that cryptically advises to use “Rip Video Disc to Harddisk…” appears when you right click on the AnyDVD icon in the lower right set that pops up when you click in Windows on the “^” there, and you select “Rip to Image…”, then click the “Copy Disc” button. The “Rip Video Disc to Harddisk…” option when you right click the AnyDVD icon only copies the Video_TS folder. Alternatively, the RedFox CloneDVD2 also fails to write an ISO for Foreigner 4 that works for me.

I’m running AnyDVD 8.6.8.0.

It could also be the particular disks I suppose. I confirmed as I wrote the earlier message that my Foreigner 4 would not work with AnyDVD, either directly or trying to use the ISO copy. But the ISO from DVDFab worked fine.

My apologies. The dialog box that cryptically advises to use “Rip Video Disc to Harddisk…” appears when you right click on the AnyDVD icon in the lower right set that pops up when you click in Windows on the “^” there, and you select “Rip to Image…”, then click the “Copy Disc” button. The “Rip Video Disc to Harddisk…” option when you right click the AnyDVD icon only copies the Video_TS folder. Alternatively, the RedFox CloneDVD2 also fails to write an ISO for Foreigner 4 that works for me.
I'm running the same version.

In an old post from 2010 in the Redbox forum, I read that:

“””""""""""""""""""
AnyDVD Ripper is actually code from CloneDVD, a reauthoring program. Reauthoring programs only copy VIDEO_TS, which is where all the DVD Video content is.

If there is DVD-ROM and/or other content, you will need to do what is known as a 1:1 or "ISO" copy to capture it. I prefer my physical backups to be as accurate as possible, so this is the method I prefer, as it also captures dates, UDF volume info, and other metadata. AnyDVD "Rip to Image" will accomplish this, which you can then burn with a freeware app such as ImgBurn.
“””""""""""""""""""

Therefore, It seems that “Rip Video Disc to Harddisk…” will only rip the VIDEO_TS folder, while “Rip to Image…” should copy the entire disk (including AUDIO_TS).

If the decryption does not work for some DVD-A, I guess it could be that the manufacturer has updated the encryption and AnyDVD has not catched up, because of the “old format” but keep catching up for the most recent Blu-ray editions. I had to update version to avoid some errors when ripping a recent Blu-Ray.

I wonder if there could be different protections for the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, that could explain why AnyDVD decrypt everything for some DVDs, and not for others.

OK sort of a recap:
I just remembered that AnyDVD removes encryption as a background process. Then any ripping software (I guess) could rip the DVDA disc OR one could copy the the two folders off the disc, unencrypted, then use a program such as ImgBurn to reassemble an .iso if desired.
Then what?
I play my DVDA .iso's with Foobar with the DVD-Audio component added from SourceForge.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdadecoder/
Foobar with DVD-A plugin also allows lossless conversion to FLAC.

Excuse me if this was already mentioned in this thread. But I was under the impression that ripping DVD-A discs could be accomplished with any number of methods and various software. And that the files or ISOs could be played back in several ways with encryption not being a factor in virtually any of these cases even being still a part of the audio files ripped and saved.

But, if and when these files or folders or ISOs are burned to a DVD-R, the encryption which has not and cannot be removed will cause the audio to halt playback.

And so, unless there has been a technological breakthrough I didn’t hear about - the answer to the question is no, there is no way yet to remove copy protection encryption. But the ripped files can be played back, but just not from disc. Software players like JRiver, etc. no problem.

Is this still the case? The stubborn encryption persists?

Excuse me if this was already mentioned in this thread. But I was under the impression that ripping DVD-A discs could be accomplished with any number of methods and various software. And that the files or ISOs could be played back in several ways with encryption not being a factor in virtually any of these cases even being still a part of the audio files ripped and saved.

But, if and when these files or folders or ISOs are burned to a DVD-R, the encryption which has not and cannot be removed will cause the audio to halt playback.

And so, unless there has been a technological breakthrough I didn’t hear about - the answer to the question is no, there is no way yet to remove copy protection encryption. But the ripped files can be played back, but just not from disc. Software players like JRiver, etc. no problem.

Is this still the case? The stubborn encryption persists?
No. The encryption is removed. Normally when a ripper tool is released is when they have found the way to decrypt. If the manufacturer modifies the encryption algorithm or keys, then It does not work until the decryption ripper is updated.

Then, the files ripped/decrypted can be accessed normally by the operating system or by any software application.

If the files are not decrypted, then there is no way to access the data unless the player software implements the right decryption, and that can only be done with the knowledge of encrypter algorithm and keys, facilitated by the manufacturer for official players.

Encryption for DVDA, or cppm, was hacked a long time ago.
Yes, and DVD Audio Extractor and libdvdcpxm were the result, although the Verance watermarking protection (in the actual audio) has to be defeated through other means. For CPPM, similarly to how CSS was defeated years earlier for DVD-Video.

AnyDVD works fine for CSS encryption and you can always get the low res 5.1 audio, if it exists there, and the video content from the VIDEO_TS folder. My experience is that with most of my DVD-A disks the AUDIO_TS with CPPM isn’t handled correctly and can’t be played back (both Foreigner DVDs for example). So no MLP audio.

DAE works great to get the MLP files. For me the only software that works across all of my DVD-A disks to produce working ISO images (played back by foobar2000 or my Oppo) is DVDFab.

Encryption for DVDA, or cppm, was hacked a long time ago.
The problem is a flag inserted is how I see it, the encryption is a completely different matter. This flag is recognized by DVD-A players. Ate you stating that this flag has been removed, and figured out a long time ago?
Yes, and DVD Audio Extractor and libdvdcpxm were the result, although the Verance watermarking protection (in the actual audio) has to be defeated through other means. For CPPM, similarly to how CSS was defeated years earlier for DVD-Video.

AnyDVD works fine for CSS encryption and you can always get the low res 5.1 audio, if it exists there, and the video content from the VIDEO_TS folder. My experience is that with most of my DVD-A disks the AUDIO_TS with CPPM isn’t handled correctly and can’t be played back (both Foreigner DVDs for example). So no MLP audio.

DAE works great to get the MLP files. For me the only software that works across all of my DVD-A disks to produce working ISO images (played back by foobar2000 or my Oppo) is DVDFab.
The FLAG I just mentioned, is that what the CPPM is?

And sure, files played back with Foobar or Oppo, but NOT a burned disc correct?

No. The encryption is removed. Normally when a ripper tool is released is when they have found the way to decrypt. If the manufacturer modifies the encryption algorithm or keys, then It does not work until the decryption ripper is updated.

Then, the files ripped/decrypted can be accessed normally by the operating system or by any software application.

If the files are not decrypted, then there is no way to access the data unless the player software implements the right decryption, and that can only be done with the knowledge of encrypter algorithm and keys, facilitated by the manufacturer for official players.
No, I don't think you see this like I saw it with my own experience. I have ripped hundreds of DVDs encryption like I'd never seen. Disney DVDs were the toughest but I got them to rip as well. I got many DVD-As to rip and to burn as well. But the highest resolution layers would stop playing once the player detected the FLAG.

Please tell me which ripper deletes the dreaded flag?

No, I don't think you see this like I saw it with my own experience. I have ripped hundreds of DVDs encryption like I'd never seen. Disney DVDs were the toughest but I got them to rip as well. I got many DVD-As to rip and to burn as well. But the highest resolution layers would stop playing once the player detected the FLAG.

Please tell me which ripper deletes the dreaded flag?
well cppm is 40 bit encryption. The watermarking I believe is something else entirely.
In any event DVDFab has always worked for me for DVDA, DVD & BD.

I’ve never burned a DVD-A disc from a DVDFab-produced ISO but am happy to give it a try. I’ll do that later today and report back as to whether the burned disk works.
Yes please do. The high res layer and not the Dolby Digital layer which was never at issue.

well cppm is 40 bit encryption. The watermarking I believe is something else entirely.
In any event DVDFab has always worked for me for DVDA, DVD & BD.
The watermark is indeed an entirely different thing, and afaik it’s never been cracked.

DVDA.jpg

The watermark is indeed an entirely different thing, and afaik it’s never been cracked.
The watermark is encoded as an inaudible (to human ears) signal in the actual audio and players conforming to the standard are supposed to detect that signal and after about 30 seconds stop playing (with an on-screen warning) if various keys are not present on the disk and the player.

The solution is an old-enough DVD player that doesn’t detect the signal and have the protection firmware, or a software player that doesn’t honor the standard, or processing the audio to remove that signal.

I think it’s very similar to Cinavia for HD video disks.

The company (Verance) that developed the watermarking on DVD-A is now promoting different watermarking to protect video content so that “deep fakes” can’t be used in political ads (for example).

Back