Can AnyDVD back-up DVD-A's and remove their encryption?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure an Oppo 203 flags the watermark in al DVD-As.

The discs that I have which were de-watermarked sound spectacular on their own. But I'd not compared the originals with these revised files. And the audio files (complete title) needed to be reauthored and so original disc menus were of course gone. A couple of members here were involved in this research study. The main hacker-crack has not been seen since Dec 2023. I hope he returns to contribute, a long time member here.

I will note that we have by now answered in full the subject of this thread - AnyDVD can backup some DVD-A’s and remove their digital (CSS?) encryption, but not all (evidently not CPPM in at least the cases I tested). Those disks that worked in AnyDVD for me are DTS, Dolby 5.1, or Dolby AC3 not MLP and so do not have AUDIO_TS content, and those particular disks do not have audio watermarks (and so those ISO rips should work in hardware players). It may be appropriate to move further discussions to a different thread or new thread.

Last edited:
OK. When I have some spare time later I will refresh my memory on the details of how to temporarily reverse the Oppo jailbreak and will check on whether individual watermarked tracks trigger the watermark detection. If not I might be able to author a DVD-R with a few extracted and converted tracks and test. Since I don’t have an MLP encoder that can produce 5.1 MLP files I can’t really test a bona fide DVD-A that I have authored and burned.

The only DVD-A images in my possession are rips of physical DVD-A’s that I own, or images with MLPs produced from conversions of Q4/Q8/QS/SQ/CD-4 analog media. Obviously the second type are not watermarked.
I can tell you right now that the watermark is running thorough the entire track(s), and comps will not play either. I think Jon actually made a disc of tracks, might have converted to DTS and burned to disc for the car and hit a road block there as well. It was and is a very persistent protection.

I can tell you right now that the watermark is running thorough the entire track(s), and comps will not play either. I think Jon actually made a disc of tracks, might have converted to DTS and burned to disc for the car and hit a road block there as well. It was and is a very persistent protection.
Yes. Again, read the USENIX paper. The watermarks are robust, occur every 6 seconds or so in all of the 5.1 tracks (see the console in foobar2000 with detection enabled), and survive any sort of conversion, including lossy compression, that does not alter the particular analog audio encoding. They even survive conversion to analog by recording audio played through your sound system with a microphone (presumably a high quality mic and recorder, since why else bother).

(deleted)

Last edited:
As you can read in the USENIX paper from 2001 that I linked above, those researchers had been able to alter the watermarked samples (in 1999 I believe) such that the watermark was no longer detected. It's long been known how the watermark works, and as with the very similar Cinavia watermark, how to alter the analog audio to disable its detection. The important question has always been whether "golden ears" can detect the audio manipulation necessary.

In foobar2000, you need the "foo_dsp_neutralizer" plug-in. This is a DSP plug-in that is only packaged as a .dll that you have to manually put into the components\ subfolder, as it is not provided as a .f2k component (i.e., you can't use the Preferences/Component/Install process from within foobar2000 itself). It's an old plug-in, from about 2011 IIRC. The README has a ton of caveats:

I've not tried this neutralizer but can certainly do so and report back whether the foobar2000 watermark detector indicates success.
It has never worked for me. There is a certain way to set it and a bit of luck involved or so I have been told by a guy is has been successful with it many times. Some discs are reported to be more difficult than others or not done at all.

The DSP neutralizer and method have been known for years. It was asked at the time it not be posted on the forum so as not to rile the recording industry folks. So while I've never needed it, I've continued to honor that.

The DSP neutralizer and method have been known for years. It was asked at the time it not be posted on the forum so as not to rile the recording industry folks. So while I've never needed it, I've continued to honor that.
Apologies. I've edited my posts and redacted the info. Since I have no need of it either, I'll drop out of further discussion.

Just an FYI. I pulled out an old burned copy of ELP's Brain Salad Surgery, which is definitely watermarked, and it played all the way through on my OPPO UDP205. I guess OPPO figured DVD-A was a defunct format and saw no reason to include watermark detection in the 20x series.

So my question has been confirmed...

Nobody has managed to create software that's able to remove encryption from a DVD-A disc prior to creating an .iso file. What a shame. I was hoping to keep the discs original file and folder structure intact 😢

Back