Can I use my OPPO 203 HDMI input to stream dolby atmos?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't have a 4k TV set. I assume that there is no point in having a 4k streamer, or is that the only way to be able to receive Atmos music (Apple/Tidal)? Thanks.

Like a lot of people, I'm really teed off about the surround content that's being issued only in streaming format. It's especially annoying in my case since I haven't been able to get streamers to reliably deliver anything but stereo anyway.

I'll admit, my setup is a little eccentric in that I don't have an AVR or surround-enabled pre-pro. I have (and love) a Parasound P7 (all-analog multichannel preamp). It has a home theater bypass connection I've used in the past with AVRs and pre-pros (Yamaha, Marantz, McIntosh) but I didn't keep them because I didn't like the setup complications, the space they take up, or the unneeded power amps (I have seven monoblock amps already).

My Oppo 105d has 7:1 analog outputs that are connected to the Parasound's inputs, so no problems with discs of any kind. The Oppo will also stream multichannel audio or movies from my Synology DLNA server. But, when I connect streamers (Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV) I do not get multichannel output from Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, etc. --- only stereo. And in the case of the Apple TV, it's especially frustrating because I can get multichannel output out of it via the Oppo when I use it to play local media from the server.

Like a lot of people, I'm really teed off about the surround content that's being issued only in streaming format. It's especially annoying in my case since I haven't been able to get streamers to reliably deliver anything but stereo anyway.

I'll admit, my setup is a little eccentric in that I don't have an AVR or surround-enabled pre-pro. I have (and love) a Parasound P7 (all-analog multichannel preamp). It has a home theater bypass connection I've used in the past with AVRs and pre-pros (Yamaha, Marantz, McIntosh) but I didn't keep them because I didn't like the setup complications, the space they take up, or the unneeded power amps (I have seven monoblock amps already).

My Oppo 105d has 7:1 analog outputs that are connected to the Parasound's inputs, so no problems with discs of any kind. The Oppo will also stream multichannel audio or movies from my Synology DLNA server. But, when I connect streamers (Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV) I do not get multichannel output from Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, etc. --- only stereo. And in the case of the Apple TV, it's especially frustrating because I can get multichannel output out of it via the Oppo when I use it to play local media from the server.
Apple TV and Apple Music will work. I don't see any other combinations working. ATV to Oppo.

edit.
Only the Apple TV 4K version will work. The previous version's with only HD will not stream Atmos.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Apple TV and Apple Music definitely do not work for me. ATV to Oppo HDMI input. On my ATV's audio settings screen I can switch from pass-through to Dolby Digital 5.1 output; when I do this while music is playing, there's a detectable change in the sound out of the front left and front right channels that are playing, but no other channels kick in.

Maybe a later Apple TV would work? Mine is the last pre-4K unit, an A1625. But, I several days ago purchased a Roku 4K+ Express, which does also support Apple TV and Apple Music, and the results were the same.

In case of an Oppo 105D defect, I've also tried the HDMI input on my Oppo 103, plus different HDMI cables, and again no luck. Maybe the streaming services just hate me?

Unfortunately Apple TV and Apple Music definitely do not work for me. ATV to Oppo HDMI input. On my ATV's audio settings screen I can switch from pass-through to Dolby Digital 5.1 output; when I do this while music is playing, there's a detectable change in the sound out of the front left and front right channels that are playing, but no other channels kick in.

Maybe a later Apple TV would work? Mine is the last pre-4K unit, an A1625. But, I several days ago purchased a Roku 4K+ Express, which does also support Apple TV and Apple Music, and the results were the same.

In case of an Oppo 105D defect, I've also tried the HDMI input on my Oppo 103, plus different HDMI cables, and again no luck. Maybe the streaming services just hate me?
I think u may need newer Apple 4ktv

Or buy an HDMI extractor to analog
But, but ... the Oppo already is an HDMI extractor to analog. That is, if I stream locally stored movies through the Apple TV using Infuse, or locally stored multichannel FLACs or WAVs, they come through the Oppo's HDMI input and out its analog outputs in multichannel -- it's just content from the streaming services that's only in stereo. So I'm still scratching my head!

Unfortunately 'no' Apple TV 4K device will give you what you require (when connected to the OPPO's HDMI input) because they 'don't' send Dolby audio (with or without Atmos meta-data) as a conventional bit-stream!

Apple TV 4K devices transcode conventional 'variable' bit-rate Dolby audio bit-streams into 'constant' bit-rate 'packed transport' PCM audio streams, aka: Dolby MAT (Metadata-Enhanced Audio Transport). Which the OPPO players do not support via pass-through. And they cannot be updated to do so.

EDIT: Anyone who has an Apple TV 4K device and wants to hear Atmos will need to directly connect it via HDMI to an AVR (that supports Dolby MAT).

Last edited:
I don’t have a dog in this fight, but one thing that seems to be a source of frustration is what device is supposed to be doing the decoding. AFAIK, Atmos has to be decoded in a receiver or pre-pro, since it’s not channel-assigned. There may be other dedicated hardware, but I haven’t been looking for any.

I know the Oppo 105 will decode a lot of MCH stuff, although it will, oddly enough, do different file types on USB and Ethernet. DSD files aren’t even seen from my NAS, but they play fine from USB.

Atmos was released after the 105 was in production, so it’s not part of that system.

The Oppo 205 can't decode Atmos data either. But since it only has 7.1 outputs and none of them can be configured as height channels, I don't see how it could. Nor do any AVRs have analogue multi channel inputs that include height channels. This is the physical problem that means Atmos decodes can only be done in AVRs or soundbars. There may also be licencing restrictions knowing Dolby.

I don't see how that helps. It's an AVR that can decode Atmos that is required.
Yea if u want Atmos...but listening to Atmos via 5.1 or 7.1 downmix can be done with a plain old 5.1 or 7.1 avr
I do it ALL day long & it sounds great

N even if u have an ATMOS encoded avr u still need a newer Apple 4KTV streaming box!

Here we go again! This might work with that, while the other can't be used with the one on third base. We have a mish-mish of a panoply of incompatible standards. Give me QS. It always works.

I don't see how that helps. It's an AVR that can decode Atmos that is required.
In the case off the OPPO 20x players, it's most unfortunate that their 'HDMI input' is unable to 'pass-through' the Dolby MAT audio stream without corrupting it.

Thankfully OPPO/Mediatek did manage to update the chip-set to allow pass-through of Dolby Vision (via the HDMI input) before they pulled out of the disc player market...

N even if u have an ATMOS encoded avr u still need a newer Apple 4KTV streaming box!
Just so you know...

This topic was discussing Atmos issues when connecting an Apple TV 4K directly to an OPPO player via HDMI, not to an AVR via HDMI.

Edit: This topic is also not about discussing down-mixing Atmos or playing/accessing/hearing it's Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Digital Plus bed!

Last edited:
I've used Oppo 203 HDMI input with Apple 4KTV for listening via 5.1 Atmos music streaming to non Atmos old ass pioneer avr
With 5.1 analog rca inputs
Works n sounds great n staying with a 5.1 system!!!
The op is using old non 4K Apple box which is the problem!

Back