Car 5.1 DTS units anyone know of any

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rck60s

I really want to put surround sound in my car...I make my own DTS surround discs but cannot play them in the car...Does anyone know who makes an after market head unit and what else I would need to make this work in the car...I have a Nissan maxima 2002

Sony MEX-DV2000

Great unit. Single DIN. Decent power too, 50w x4 IIRC. I have one in my Tiburon. Really, the only thing bad that I can say about it is that there are certain functions you can ONLY access via the remote. But other than that, it's a pretty solid deck.

Sony also makes a MEX-DV2200, of which I own one. I am planning to put it in my 96 'vette when time allows.

MTGC

I recomend Sony mex dv2000.
Aditionaly you'll need an central speaker with dedicated amplifier[virtualization sucks]+an active subwoofer.{it's useful a smal display too].:alienrob:
Good luck,
M

I own this. Sony MEX. It is awesome. SACD, DTS, DVD-A, dolby surround. Wonderful deck for around $200.00.

You will love it.

@newbyquad
Sony mex dv2000 doesn't play dvd a only dvd video or dvd hybrid
M:alienrob:

Where do you get that unit? what does the whole system consist of? Is there a 5.1 amp on the market or is it a 4 channel amp, separate amp for the center and then a subwoofer?

Where do you get that unit? what does the whole system consist of? Is there a 5.1 amp on the market or is it a 4 channel amp, separate amp for the center and then a subwoofer?

There any number of online sources for both the MEX DV2000 and DV2200 along with info on specs and requirements. A little searching via Google will get you started. I'll be picking one up myself over the next few days.

@Rck60s
I purchassed the unit on Amazon...has a 4 channel amp[buildt in]..that's why U need an additional amp[mono] for the central ch. and an active subwoofer for LFE.Has 2 Video out RCAs-you'll need them!
One of the video outputs is active just when the service brake[hand brake] is used.Do not install the units handbrake wire.....
M
P.S.Do not use virtualization for the central ch. 'cause this disables the eq.
:yikes

@Rck60s
I purchassed the unit on Amazon...has a 4 channel amp[buildt in]..that's why U need an additional amp[mono] for the central ch. and an active subwoofer for LFE.Has 2 Video out RCAs-you'll need them!
One of the video outputs is active just when the service brake[hand brake] is used.Do not install the units handbrake wire.....
M
P.S.Do not use virtualization for the central ch. 'cause this disables the eq.
:yikes

Thanks for the heads up - I have read about several of the "hidden challenges" associated with this unit but for less than $200 it's hard to beat. Evidently with my Avalon, removing the factory audio unit disables the climate controls - there is a workaround but it will be a little daunting - but I'm up for it!

@Rck60s
Try to keep the original unit too....Sony unit is small enough....
Of course it's a challenge...I needed 1 month to embed the unit in my Freelander.The unit is sooo good that I decided to install my second Sony in my new Compass too[trying to keep original unit too].
Have a nice day,
M

I make my own DTS discs on blank cds and DVDs using adobe audition and Plogue Bidule...will they play in this unit...Sony says that this unit will not play them...I am confused

hey Rck60s ,
A better unit than that sony is the Kenwood xxv-05v, it will play DTS and dvd-a as well as dvd-v homemade and otherwise. I use it and I have a Pioneer avh-p7500 that will play the same, it is actually a slightly better sounding unit but I only pull it out for competition use.I've competed against that sony and it is not impressive. it will however play sacd I believe . I am not a very big sony fan though when it comes to 12v audio. In the world of car audio competition, sony has only gained respect with its mono block amps. I also make my own DVDA discs w plogue (dts is too lossy for me ) I play them with no trouble on either of those two head units. Either of those heads will cost you a little more than that sony but I think they are worth it. You will however need amps for these units as they are audiophile heads they require outside amplification but if you are really looking for good sound you never want to utilize a head units built in amp, if it has one.

@holland
True...Sony mex dv2000 doesn't play dvd-a...but hey,how many car units do play SACDs?
:)
M

I am really only interested in playing the DTS discs I make using Plogue....Will the Sony play them...I make them on both DVD Blanks as well as cd Blanks depending on the amount of songs incuded.....I would hate to buy this unit , have it installed and find it will not play the disc...The instructions say it will not play DVD ROM or CD Rom but I am not sure burned discs are considered that...

My Sony plays all my home-burnt CD's and DVD's with hardly any issues. It doesn't play DVD-A. Big fat hairy deal. :p

I am really only interested in playing the DTS discs I make using Plogue....Will the Sony play them...I make them on both DVD Blanks as well as cd Blanks depending on the amount of songs incuded.....I would hate to buy this unit , have it installed and find it will not play the disc...The instructions say it will not play DVD ROM or CD Rom but I am not sure burned discs are considered that...

I would assume that your upmixed DTS surround DVDs consist of Video TS folders which are DVD-V format NOT DVD Rom or RAM so you should be alright. I just placed an order for the MEX DV 2200 myself - looking forward to it - assuming I don't screw up the install - my first.

Hey Rck60s,
Do not worry,you'll be ok with dvds and cds.The only 2 things you must keep in mind is that you MUST burn your your DTSdvds in dvd video mode and your dtscds in audio cd mode[NOT FILE mode].
Have a nice day,
M:phones

Back