CD-4 Bass vs. Q4 vs. D-V releases (of same title)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
https://worldradiohistory.com/Archi...ng-Engineer/70s/Recording-1973-12.pdf#page=16^^^
It has been observed that the low frequency response of a CD-4 quad disc is somewhat diminished in quad playback. However, we cannot verify this observation in any existing CD-4 literature.

My own experience is inconclusive, I bought the Cat Stevens Greatest Hits CD-4 and played "Another Saturday Night" on a Magnavox console stereo (in Stereo of course), the Bass wasn't as loud as the Stereo version played on FM radio at the time.

Anyone checked a CD-4 title with the same title on Q4 or D-V MCH SACD to see if the Bass amplitude on the CD-4 disc is about the same as on the other formats?

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
I feel it varies. To me, it depended on how much engineering thought bass was going to interfere with carrier integrity. That and absolute recording/cutting levels.

I know the Doors greatest hits CD-4 has reduced bass output compared to the regular stereo versions on stereo LPs. Others seem to be the same or close. "Sundown" for instance. Doobie Brothers CD-4s too. I guess "Cat Steven's Greatest Hits" sounds pretty good to me.

I also have reached the conclusion that early CD-4 engineering was too cautions in this regard.

Doug

Back