CD-4 Cartridge

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hug963 said:
which are the AT CD-4 compatible cartridges?

I know AT14sa and AT15sa...

( Thx for your help : ) )

The AT 20 is the best but rare to see one. The 14s and 15s are great too. They sound good and seem to provide a bit better contact to pull the rears out than most.

The Audio Technica cartridges with the "s" after the numeric digits in the model number indicate the "Shibata" cut diamond stylises which are generally preferred for CD-4. AT12sa, AT15sa AT20sa etc are all designed and work well for CD-4 playback.

Been using an AT-14Sa for many years. I sure would like to get my hands on a 20Sa. It was AT's cream of the crop Shibata model. Hand-picked for performance, if I remember correctly. They are also hard to find.

Some here use the current model AT440ML microline cartridge. AT also has the OC-9 moving coil cartridge with a microline stylus with freq response out to 50KHz. You might also check on some of Ortofon's low mass moving magnet models with microridge type stylus.

ss9001

As I haven't been here in awhile I had some catching up to do and saw this. I have a good quad system and bought one of E. Saunders cartridges off e-bay myself. It didn't work in CD-4 mode so I e-mailed the gent thinking he made a mistake and sent the wrong one. To my dismay the reply I received back was terse and quite rude towards my question on weather they sent the wrong one. I hate to dis anyone but his response was very un-called for and as a result I wouldn't buy there ever again. For those that bought a Q4 cartridge that worked congrats, but after 30+ years of having quad systems his PR was some of the worst I've dealt with.

MrNorm said:
As I haven't been here in awhile I had some catching up to do and saw this. I have a good quad system and bought one of E. Saunders cartridges off e-bay myself. It didn't work in CD-4 mode so I e-mailed the gent thinking he made a mistake and sent the wrong one. To my dismay the reply I received back was terse and quite rude towards my question on weather they sent the wrong one. I hate to dis anyone but his response was very un-called for and as a result I wouldn't buy there ever again. For those that bought a Q4 cartridge that worked congrats, but after 30+ years of having quad systems his PR was some of the worst I've dealt with.

I also bought that cart. and tried it with 3 decoders-played poorly on each
one.
Though it did work,but with very poor sound.
I wrote him and got no response,so I left neutral feedback.
He wrote me an acerbic e-mail. He said he would have worked
with me had I written him,I wrote back I did, and he replied with an
even more scathing and venimous rant.
I guess it plays fine in stereo ,but has no value of Quad CD-4,and no resale value.
"If it sounds too good to be true,it probably isn't".
C'est la Vie, mon ami!
QC

Sorry to hear of your problems with Mr. Saunders. I personally have had no contact with Mr. Saunders, but I have used his cartridges for CD-4 playback with good results.

MTGC (Michael)

Well, it has been quite a long time since I've posted anything here, but I kinda got side-tracked on the Steve Hoffman Forum for a while. Anyway, I'm back now and I would like to share with all of you my recent very excellent results with my new Audio Technica 440ML cartridge. About a year ago my quad receiver bit the dust (an old Lafayette unit), so I retired it and set my CD-4 (a JVC 4DD-5) aside. To date I haven't replaced the receiver, but I recently replaced my Yamaha HT receiver with a very nice Denon HT. The Yamaha didn't have enough inputs for all my gear in the living room so I moved it into the den where I have my quad setup, and last night I hooked up the demodulator to the 5.1 direct inputs on the Yamaha, played the CD-4 setup disc, and well, WOW! The 440ML works very very well indeed. There were a couple records that I had that even back in the '70's gave me that "sandpaper" quad sound (Doobie Brothers "Captain & Me" for example), and that is gone completely! I never thought that I'd be as happy with any cartridge as I was with my AT-14Sa, but the 440ML is definately it's equal, and perhaps even surpasses it.

Now if only I could find a way to play my SQ discs! (I've tried Dolby Pro-Logic II on the Denon, and it kinda works, but not quite right).

I have owned the AT-14S, and still own a AT15S with about 4 hours on the Cartridge, and a never used NOS AT-20SLa still in the Box. Both were acquired from ebay about 5 years ago for basically peanuts ($130 shipped for the pair, both were NOS when I got them.

They pop up from time to time, and in fact seen a AT-20SLa about 4-5 months ago on the Bay, but the price was quite high (I think $300+), and I'm unsure if that particular auction even ended with a winning bidder?

From what I understand, the AT-20SLa was essentially just a Cherry Picked AT-15S. I am unsure whether there were any stylus differences? Also wonder whether Audio Technica even carries a replacement Stylus anymore for the AT-20SLa?

While I have never auditioned my AT-20SLa I have to assume it's every bit as good as the AT-15S, and I've found that the ones I've used have also doubled as great Cartridgs for Stereo Playback also.

Very good tracking ability virtually equalling the Shure V-15 Type III's I have, with a neutral, even uncolored sound.

For the last few years I've been mostly tinkering with my main Table, a VPI HW-19 MK-IV, AQ PT-8 Arm, High Output Glider Cartridge, Sutherland PHD Phono Pre-Amp, but on ice in my collection are a mint Denon DP-2550, with Grace DA-307 Arm, the AT-15S mounted, an absolute mint Sansui QRX-7001, and a near mint Sansui QRX-7500.

They're all sitting in boxes, and I know it's a sin! One day I must haul these out for some enjoyment, as I kept my entire Quad collection of LP's, and R-R Tapes. Mark

Back