CD-4 Stylis

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

Wagonmaster 91

I have a Shure V15 Type IV cartridge on my turntable. My Marantz CD-400B has no trouble detecting the carrier frequency on CD-4 quad records using this cartridge. My question is am I damaging CD-4 records using this cartridge because the stylis is not a shibata-type stylis? (I also have a Pickering quad cartridge I could swap out when I wanted to play a CD-4 record if the Shure is damaging the carrier.)

I have read various writings from the old days and also read various opinions from the old quaddies in the crowd.

Barring an observation with a high-powered microscope and comparing wear rates, a scientific approach, there likely isn't a 100% foolproof method to determine if a non-shibata-type stylus harms the microgrooves carrying the high-frequency info on the vinyl.

I have read reports that a standard stylus CAN cause irreperable harm while some long-term CD-4 users declare they have not noticed any problems using a non-shibata.

To be on the safe side I would use one. There are various terms for the shibata style and since I departed CD-4 several years ago the names elude me.

One thing to consider, and this holds true for all vinyl records, is that after a playing a record should be allowed to cool off before being played again. The friction between stylus and vinyl creates heat. Repetitive plays softens the vinyl and can cause damage. I read that in several different articles over the years.

The old story about non-shibata/linear contact type styli causing damage to CD-4 records refuses to die. I heard from a very credible source (engineer from RCA) that this is simply not true.

Any damage is probably from a worn or misaligned stylus of any type. However, I take a conservative approach. Why take the chance?

I was also concerned that an elliptical stylus would damage the carrier frequencies, however, for many years I have used a cartridge with an elliptical stylus, as I was unable to get shibata replacements for my AT-14Sa cart. During that time I was quad-less but I still listened to my CD-4 discs figuring that I would never again find a CD-4 demodulator. Thanks to eBay, I now have a demod. and my discs demodulate just fine using a Grado cart. with an elliptical stylus, so the wear concerns were unjustified. I do, however, clean my records before I play them EVERY time, and I will only play them once in 24 hours. Of course, a line-contact stylus will prolong the life of any record as it places less stress on the vinyl.

Quadradiscs are tougher than originally thought. I have bought a lot of them and have only found one of them that was unuseable in CD-4 mode. Apparently that one got played on a BSR changer or something. If they were so delicate, hell, they would be all worn out by now. I love my quadradisc system. It does a good job, and I use a line contact stylus. I for many years used a stylus that was not a shibata, and when I got my Trackmaster 8, all those discs played just fine.

The Quadfather

Back