CD Burning Problem

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I am finding it impossible to burn a cd on my computer. It used to work just fine. Now it doesn't. I'm hoping some of you with a lot more expertise with computers might be able to help. Here's the situation;

1. OS Windows XP
2. Burning program - Nero Burning Rom
3. Media- TDK CD-R 80 Min 24X for Computer Writers (Same stuff I've used dozens of times before when making cd's)

Here's the problem. My computer came with Windows Media Player. It burns cd's fine, but it burns in the wma format. I wanted to be able to burn dts cd's, so I began using Nero Burning Rom. I originally used various downloaded trial versions. They worked just great. No problems.
Recently, Nero or any other cd burning program has quit working. I've even purchased the Nero Burning Rom program thinking there might be something weird happening with the downloaded versions. Same problem. Here's what happens on Nero;

1. I select Copy CD
2. I deselect the "Copy on the Fly" option (tried it this way and it didn't work)
3. The "Copy Disc to Image" process works fine.
4. Asks me to insert media and I do so.
5. It says, "Justlink Activated."
6. It says, "burn Process Started"
7. Burn process runs for a few minutes and then I get the error message, "Burn Process Failed."

I've tried burning at every speed available. I've tried selecting the Compatibility tab in the Properties section and trying to run it in different modes, "Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000."
Same thing happens. Burn process Fails. I've tried other CD burning programs. Same thing happens. It all works fine until I get to the burn process, but then the burn fails.

I'd think there was something wrong with the burner, but I can burn a cd in Windows Media Player with no problems at all.
What's wrong with this thing!!!!
I have a feeling there's some setting that's not right. Some little thing I'd never figure out in a million years. I hate computers!!

Here is what I would do for starters:

1. Download and install latest BIOS for your motherboard.
2. Download and install latest BIOS for your CD-ROM drive.
3. Download and install latest version and/or patches available for NERO.
4. Using windowsupdate.microsoft.com, download and install all the latest patches and fixes.

Cai,
Thanks for the info. I think you may be on the right track. In December of last year my computer had major problems. It was still under warranty and I sent it back to the company (Tiger Direct. com) They had to replace the hard drive and motherboard. I can't recall for certain, but I believe it was after it came back from that repair when I was first unable to burn a cd. Unfortunately, I wasn't doing much cd burning and didn't relate the two problems. Of course, now the warranty has run out and the company is no help at all.
Here's my additional questions, could you pretend you're explaining this to a mentally challenged six year old, that's about my level of computer expertise;
I believe my computer is actually one that is assembled and sold by Tiger Direct. I think the brand on it is Systamac?
1.Where do I go to find the latest BIOS downloads for the motherboard for my computer?
2.Do I need to know the manufacturer of the motherboard?
3.If so, how and where do I find that information on my computer?
4.Where do I go to find the downloads for the latest BIOS for my cd burner?
5.Once again, if I need to know the manufacturer of the burner, where do I get that info on my computer?
Sorry for so many questions. I wish I understood computers better.
Thanks for the assistance.

Well, if I were giving computer advice to a mentally challenged six-year-old, I would say "have your father call a computer technician". ;)

Oh yeah, then I would add "but not me". :p

Seriously though, we're both in the same neck of the woods. Buy me a six-pack of good micro-brew and I'll be happy to come over and kick your computer around. I still have your e-mail address so I'll drop you a line.

Make sure you do a complete uninstall of all burning programs before you put in the Nero. I was using Adaptec and Nero and they don't like each other and try to steal parts off of each other and do want each on the same drive so get them all out and reinstall Nero I found it Stopped all of the conflict problem. Also check to see if you have a memory buffer and activate it for Nero ! It may be that you are getting a buffer under run and causes a failed burn! Worth a shot ! My Yamaha has an 8 meg buffer built into the burner and have yet to burn a coaster with it turned on !
Rob

I had the same problem with Nero until I did a simulation before I burned a CD to calibrate the write speed of your CD burner, the CPU and the Nero software. That fixed the problem for me from then on.

Ed

Well, as Cai is well aware after his valiant 6 hour effort to try to find the problem with my cd burner, it looks like I need to replace the burner. I was looking at this yamaha unit and was wondering what folks thought of it. It has what sounds like a neat feature. You can burn graphics and text on any cd after completing your cd burn. That would sure beat the stick on paper labels. If anyone has time please take a look and see if you think this would be a decent burner.
<a href="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=Y23-2108%20P" target="top">www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=Y23-2108 P</a>

I suspect there's no need to change hardware: if you can burn ok a disc in WMP, the machine is good and the problem lies at 99% on the software side.
Nero can have some weirdness like that if it feels the machine isn't fast enough to keep with the burn process - for example, Nero 5 has the same behaviour on a P233 with 32 Mb and w98 (this is a machine i use for backups); other burning software works fine (CeQuadrat Win On Cd 3.6).
If you have, or can borrow from someone else, a spare hard disk of 2-3Gb size, do a fresh and clean installation of WinXp with the drivers needed for your hardware, then install Nero5 and try a burn. If it goes ok, your old installation of WinXp has serious problem (don't be suprised, you're not the first nor the last...) and need to be redone from scratch. You can already use the spare hd and build from there, then move the partition to your hard drive, erasing the old WinXp.

In any case, the Yamaha burner is ok.

George has an off-brand burner with questionable software support. He needs a new drive.

George, I've had exceptionally good luck with Yamaha drives in the past. This looks like a good drive.

The burner, how is recognized by WinXp? Any string or brand?

XP does not recognize the manufacturer but does list the model number in the MB BIOS and under device manager. Through a little detective work, we found the manufacturer (some Taiwanese company, surprise, surprise!) I forget the name... Antic or Artic or something like that (George has it written down). Anyway, there are no BIOS updates available for the drive. Through a Google search, we did find a couple of other individuals complaining on forums with virtually identical complaints to George's.

In any event, the drive's behavior is downright bizzare. We actually got one successful copy out of it using my old standby program, Padus DiscJuggler. However, all subsequent writes using DiscJuggler failed. Another one of my favorite CDR programs, GoldenHawk's CDR-Win would not even recognize the drive.

I also tried isolating the drive on an IDE channel to eliminate any contention issues. Ah heck, I'm not going to sit here and rattle off everything I've tried. Just know that I know what the heck I'm doing. This drive is a stinker. Your suggestion of reinstalling XP is a good one, but George's machine was recently serviced, and part of that was a reinstall of the OS. For the most part, the machine is still baby fresh.

A new CD burner is the answer here.

Ok Cai, in any case you might need it:

forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmwar...ufactor=47

BTW, gone are the times when reliability was a premium on both burners and cdr media... in 7 years that i'm into this field, the quality has lowered in a tremendous way (and the software side has become quite messy too...).
Older Yamaha and Plextors were beast for heavy work, current ones aren't worth 1/10 of them.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Older Yamaha and Plextors were beast for heavy work, current ones aren't worth 1/10 of them. [/quote]
I have to disagree on tha t, as I have a Yamaha CRW-F1E and I'ts the best one I've ever used 44x - Master Quality Format And have yet to have any problems with it and put it through Quite a bit of a work out.
Rob

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll probably go for the Yamaha to replace my current Taiwanese technology.

Hey Doc ! That's the one I was talking about and got my at Best Buy for the same Price ! Comes with Nero And DiscT@2 and Master Quality Format Wihich burns Longer pit and land and gives the cdplayer a better shot at reading , and less chance of errors but does use more of the disc to do this but A good 80. Min disc should still give you plenty of room to do the Average conversion as most are about 40 min. tops
Go for it ! I'love mine and it comes with Photo Shop Home ver. and Mount Rainier support for using CDR/W as a big floppy disc great for transfering stuff from computer to computer drag and drop after you format the disc and bing bang boom you have a HUGE FLOPPY DISC!
Cool blue led and fast ... Love it !
0] Rob:cool:

Rob,
Thanks for the update on the Yamaha burner. It's always good to hear a recommendation from someone who has actually used that burner. That gives me the confidence to go for it.
Thanks!

Back