CD4: Marantz CD-400B

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagonmaster_91

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Marantz CD400B

Rarity: Common
Average Sale Price: $35 - $100

IMG_8625.JPG

The CD-400B is one of the more common CD-4 decoders. It comes in a nice wood case that matches other Marantz receivers and amps. It has automatic carrier frequency sensing with a "Radar" light that comes on when it detects a carrier on an LP. In addition to the phono input, a 4 channel discrete input for a quad tape deck or other quad device is provided. There is a 2 channel direct output that allows the phono input to bypass the decoder.

Rear view of the CD-400B.
IMG_8631.JPG

The separation controls are located on the back. While generally these can be left alone once they are properly set, this makes it a bit of a bother when you do need to tweak them for a particular recording.

The circuit board is positioned at the top of the unit with the components hanging "upside down". Here is how it looks out of the cabinet from the bottom of the decoder.
IMG_8621.JPG IMG_8623.JPG

I use this with a Technics turntable with a Shure V-15 TypeIV cartridge and it works great. I have other CD-4 decoders, including a JVC 4DD5 and a Panasonic, but I prefer the Marantz over the others. (I know others on the QQ board may disagree with that.)

IMG_8636.JPG

Last edited:
Look carefully at the board in your Marantz, it is a JVC 4DD-5 ! Even has JVC marked on it. Marantz added a nice case, an anti thump relay and their own switching. I believe the Braun demodulator was also based on a JVC 4DD-5 board.

See here http://www.grizwald.plus.com/quad/ for more info and Marantz Service Manual.

Malcolm

Back