Chuck Ainlay IAA Interview

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

sjcorne

Staff member
The latest in my ongoing series of long-form interviews with surround mixers just went live. It's exciting to hear there's hope for more Dire Straits in multichannel!

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
The latest in my ongoing series of long-form interviews with surround mixers just went live. It's exciting to hear there's hope for more Dire Straits in multichannel!
Woo-hoo! Congrats, @sjcorne. This will make good complementary reading to the Ainlay video added to Dolby's "Hear From the Masters" series a couple of days ago. (Good on you for plugging the idea of physical releases!)

Last edited:

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Once again, a wonderful interview revealing a lot of useful artist and technical information discussed in a very straight forward easy to understand manner. I didn’t pay a lot of attention to mixer credits back in the DTS days, had no idea of his extended involvement in that which we love.

Thanks to QQ search I won’t repeat myself on running into him briefly at the Ryman Auditorium in 2011.

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Another very informative interview, Jonathan. Some really interesting points that surprised me:

- As great as it sounds, Brothers In Arms was only 48khz / 16 bit. Therefore I’ve been using a 16 bit recording all these years to as a demo to impress folks when they hear my surround system.

- He believes that 48khz is not high resolution. It has to be 96 khz or higher.

- A shelf life of only 2 to 3 years for a hard drive is a shocking revelation. If it hasn‘t been spun in a while it may not spin up. :eek: Perhaps that’s a great reason to go all SSD…well, at least until long term problems crop up with them too. So spin all those hard drives from time to time folks.

dobyblue

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Also don’t forget to back your **** up! I have my 5.1 collection on a RAID1 drive so if one craps out I will turn the mirror off until a replacement arrives and the mirror can be immediately rebuilt. I also periodically back that mirror up to an external USB drive.

Data redundancy short of an EMP blast.
Lol