Ryan Ulyate IAA Interview

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I love the drama of the height speakers"--a man after our own hearts!

Also:

The other aspect of this is the demand for more product, and a lot of that is being done on-the-fly from stereo stems. I think that's to the overall detriment of the format, because if it's not that impressive-sounding you’ll see more people like Nigel Godrich complaining about it. He has a point, but can you imagine Radiohead in Atmos? I’d love to take a shot at that.​
And:

The labels see it as such a niche market now, especially with immersive streaming being available. It's sad because I always want to have the highest-quality audio, but at the same time I can understand their thinking. It's definitely kind of a drag for audiophiles.​

Amen Corner says: Amen! Another fabulous interview, Jonathan. (And, to be fair, a fabulous interviewee! We're all so glad you "have the time to really sit down and do it right," @ryan de topanga!) Maybe, after the exchange about beds and side speakers, you'll get an advisory credit on Ryan's next mix. . . :unsure:

Another wonderful job Jonathan!

One line from Ryan (aka Capt. Topanga) in your interview that caught my attention was:
"Bass guitar doesn’t sound good to me unless it’s really compressed."

I'd love it if Ryan would expound on that, and maybe with some specific examples from his work.

I always love a good focused, tight sounding Bass (many styles of Bass sound to consider though); too often just a muddy mess that may even interfere with the overall dynamic sound of the song.

Back