Cleaning Vinyl LPs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, good point, I will have to check on that! We are just heading out so I will look when we get back.
The new Denon is an AV multichannel receiver, right? I would be interested to know if it has that. No "tape" or processor loop has been a limiting factor for me trying to find a suitable AV receiver for my video setup.

The new Denon is an AV multichannel receiver, right? I would be interested to know if it has that. No "tape" or processor loop has been a limiting factor for me trying to find a suitable AV receiver for my video setup.
Well I guess I will need to purchase a phono pre-amp if I wish to use it.

I need a line level out to drive my Dynaudio wireless remote speakers in other rooms of the house, and most modern AV amps don't have one.

I know I repeat myself more than Gazpacho does (at least for me) but if I had not been TOTALLY convinced about my method involving Distilled water with a few squirts of 90% alcohol and wiping it with KimWipes, NOW I am convinced, after cleaning those horribly disgustingly dusty Herb Alpert LPs and having them wind up sounding like NEW!!!!

One thing is the technique...
-first you clean as much dirt as possible with a "Discwasher style" brush (I have an Ortofon, which is fairly cheap , and an Audioquest one, also cheap but good)
-then you spray a LOT of the water/alcohol mix on the LP
-you take ONE Kimwipe and distribute the mix all over the grooves and once it's basically covered you take the other half of the Kimwipe and start cleaning it (ALWAYS in the direction of the needle, counterclockwise and from the inside out); if it's REALLY dirty you take ANOTHER kimwipe and clean the grooves even further while still WET...
-then you take TWO kimwipes and start cleaning/drying from the inside out , it usually takes 2 Kinwipes for the inside songs and 2 Kimwipes for the outside songs-
-Make sure it's DRY before playing...sometimes there's so much shit that you can see what was in the grooves once it's played once so you might want to rip it again after cleaning it from step one!

I think one of the things that helps my records get so clean is that I have a "Fine Line"(sort of Shibata) Ortofon OM30 stylus which I am sure that scoops all the shite from the bottom of the groove....

Just my 2 cents...

Does the new Denon have a "tape loop" or switchable processor line out-line in to plug the SAE into?
Just reviewing the manual, the AVR-X3700H does have a "zone 2" output with a separate volume control. Zone 2 out can be tied to the same input as the main zone, so in theory you could take the source out of zone 2 at a constant volume, regardless of the volume selected at the speaker output. This might serve as the equivalent of a tape out, but getting the post-processor signal back in might still be a challenge.

I searched the tape or processor loop today and several forums and threads mentioned the "Zone 2" function but still not sure how you would monitor it like with the old "rec out / tape in" and monitor switch. (My old Pioneer QC-800A preamp from 1974 has two 4-channel tape monitor loops) A lot of people are trying to add auxiliary processors, graphic equalizers etc to their AVRs but seems no modern AVR has a loop like that. Even the ones with the "pre-out" don't have a "power amp-in" or "main in" set of jacks which could be used for equalizers, but not for something like the SAE-5000A that needs costant line level audio signal. Oh well... I hope the "Zone 2" works out.

Last edited:
"Pre-out" varies with the volume control. "Line-out" stays constant regardless of volume control.
Also pre-out tends to be as high a signal as line-out only when the volume control is at blastissimo.

My Dynaudio remote speakers expect a 2V line level signal into the transmitter, and the speakers have their own remote control complete with volume buttons. A pre-out would be no good.

I know I repeat myself more than Gazpacho does (at least for me) but if I had not been TOTALLY convinced about my method involving Distilled water with a few squirts of 90% alcohol and wiping it with KimWipes, NOW I am convinced, after cleaning those horribly disgustingly dusty Herb Alpert LPs and having them wind up sounding like NEW!!!!

One thing is the technique...
-first you clean as much dirt as possible with a "Discwasher style" brush (I have an Ortofon, which is fairly cheap , and an Audioquest one, also cheap but good)
-then you spray a LOT of the water/alcohol mix on the LP
-you take ONE Kimwipe and distribute the mix all over the grooves and once it's basically covered you take the other half of the Kimwipe and start cleaning it (ALWAYS in the direction of the needle, counterclockwise and from the inside out); if it's REALLY dirty you take ANOTHER kimwipe and clean the grooves even further while still WET...
-then you take TWO kimwipes and start cleaning/drying from the inside out , it usually takes 2 Kinwipes for the inside songs and 2 Kimwipes for the outside songs-
-Make sure it's DRY before playing...sometimes there's so much shit that you can see what was in the grooves once it's played once so you might want to rip it again after cleaning it from step one!

I think one of the things that helps my records get so clean is that I have a "Fine Line"(sort of Shibata) Ortofon OM30 stylus which I am sure that scoops all the shite from the bottom of the groove....

Just my 2 cents...
I WILL have to RECTIFY POINT one...guess what I found? that the Swiffer sheets do a GREAT job cleaning the DUST!!! MUCH better than ANY Discwasher/Ortofon BRUSH will do!

An article that was published in Audio magazine (80s I think) explains what happens when a record is played. The folks with Audio-Technica authored it if I remember right. I believe they used a very average 'consumer' example with the tonearm set at 2 grams. As the stylus tracks the record the temperatures generated by the tracking force actually cause the vinyl to heat up enough to soften. Any crud in the groove then gets embedded into the groove wall by the force of the stylus. I had already been cleaning my vinyl before each play, but the article strengthened my resolve to ALWAYS do so no matter what. They mentioned that usually once debris is embedded due to playing, it will not be able to be removed. They also mentioned that to immediately replay a song doesn't allow enough time to the vinyl to completely cool thus increasing the possible damage to the groove walls. I offer this for what it's worth. I'll try to dig up the issue to share more info.

IMG_0970.JPG

This is my record cleaning and CD resurfacing station. Records are cleaned in a 3 step process. First the LP is manually wetted and scrubbed with a diluted Tergikleen in distilled water solution. Then the LP is run through the Degritter ultrasonic RCM in a distilled water wash cycle. I found I achieved a more thorough cleaning of well used, 2nd hand records by manually applying the surfactant solution directly to the LP vs adding the Tergikleen to the wash water. For the 3rd step I purchased a 2nd reservoir tank for my Degritter. This allows me to switch out the tanks after the wash cycle and perform an additional distilled water rinse cycle. Ensuring that any trace amounts of Tergikleen residue left from the wash water cycle are removed from the record surface.

Before the purchase of the Degritter, for 20 years I used a VPI 16.5 vaccum RCM but found the automated wash and dry cycles of the Degritter far less time and effort consuming than a similar multi-step cleaning process with a wet vac RCM. Thoroughly cleaning a record with a Degritter is as effortless as making toast! Not to mention that the Degritter just plain does a better job and is not deafening in operation. For me the ease of use with the Degritter made it's high price palatable. I want to spend more time listening to pristine records than cleaning 'em to achieve that condition!

IMG_1112.JPG

Back