Comments about Black Sabbath - PARANOID [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omnipotent1

To Poll .png

If your speakers aren't matched, I would suggest putting the larger ones in the back for mixes like this, especially if you listen to more multichannel mixes than you do stereo.
5. Love the panning in War Pigs. Drum breaks and guitars going from speaker to speaker.
6. Heavy use of the rear speakers throughout, especially the guitars. Hope your rear speakers are up to the task! This is definitely a mix that will favor those with 4 identical full-range speakers for the front and rears.

All-in-all, this is an awesome disc to have and this is will be my go-to version of this classic album from here on out.

If you have a decent sub or two and any kind of room eq/dsp found an almost every modern avr none of that full range speakers all around matters anymore.Just don't want people to think they are missing out on something when they won't!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Bose double cubes and a sub and quad stuff sounds thin on my system. I have had had conversions that full range speakers would make the difference. Educate me before I buy some full range speakers because I don’t know how to get the sound out of 4.0 that I do 5.1.
4 Bose 501s (or 601s) will sound better.

Agree with your assessment and like your insights, but,,,, FYI, Geezer wrote 99% of the lyrics, Ozzy just sang them.
You know, I wondered about that after I posted the review. All the guys were young back then, so it's not like I'm expecting to be blown away by insightful lyrics about mysticism and things like that. And I looooove Ozzy's voice- a classic and unique sound among the greats. What annoys me worse, particularly from his time in Sabbath, is his tendency to parrot the guitar melodies too often. Regardless of one's preference for Ozzy vs Dio (they were really two different bands-- like VH with DLR and Hagar), Dio was an upgrade in that regard.

You know, I wondered about that after I posted the review. All the guys were young back then, so it's not like I'm expecting to be blown away by insightful lyrics about mysticism and things like that. And I looooove Ozzy's voice- a classic and unique sound among the greats. What annoys me worse, particularly from his time in Sabbath, is his tendency to parrot the guitar melodies too often. Regardless of one's preference for Ozzy vs Dio (they were really two different bands-- like VH with DLR and Hagar), Dio was an upgrade in that regard.
The Ozzy vs Dio debate has a lot of similarities with the David Lee vs Sammy debate.
Both replacements raised the musicianship but lowered the “edginess” of their respective bands.

I love this this album so objectivity is out the window but this is awesome. Amazing how there are so many little moments that differ from the OSM (original stereo mix).

I had to go directly to "Fairies Wear Boots" to start, followed up by "Hand Of Doom" (my two favorites from the album). In the latter I loved how each line of Ozzy's vocals come out a different speaker as he preaches;
You're having a good time baby
But that won't last
Your mind's all full of things
You're living too fast
Go out enjoy yourself
Don't bottle it in
You need someone to help you
To stick the needle in, yeah

Let's just say, if you were in need of that sermon, you would have really enjoyed that effect and it probably would have induced you to do more (so that you could enjoy it even more). LOL

Love the drum workout around the room on Rat Salad. Ozzy vocals are fine on my system but seem a bit more "reverby" in some songs than the OSM. Little flourishes from Iommi guitar rise in the mix in unexpected ways to give them emphasis that they didn't have in the OSM.

I also found this very crankable, as in you can really turn up the volume without any unpleasantness.
I have said this before about 70's Quad mixes vs. current surround mixes, I liked that the former didn't hold back. They weren't worried about being tasteful, or maintaining the spirit of the original recording, they just wanted to "wow" you and make your head spin. Since I have never owned any original Quad recordings from that time period, nothing makes me happier then when one of them gets released on an optical disc.

As for my rating, you already knew it was a 10 when you read the first sentence.

Really looking forward to future Rhino releases. I hope this is a win-win for everyone.
Agree with you on the 70’s Quad mixes - give me the “WOW” factor 🤯
Tasteful, Schmasteful 👅

They are just waiting for more stock. The one location sold their original allotment.
They really should be taking the orders in if they know stock is pressed up already and is in the way. Unless it’s coming from Germany then maybe best to hold off a minute.

Back