HiRez Poll Black Sabbath - PARANOID [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Black Sabbath - PARANOID

• Total voters
This one lives up to the hype and gets a 10 from me. I've been listening a lot of multichannel stuff lately and this is the best sounding, most engaging audio-only multichannel disc I've heard so far. Just a great mix all around with amazing clarity without sounding "bright". Paranoid has never been one of my favorite Sabbath albums, but in this format, it just might become one.

This BDA of Paranoid flat out cranks. Bill Ward's drumming has never sounded better, so punchy. The overall fidelity on this disc is outstanding.
This is a 10 all the way.
...thanks for posting your thoughts. Just ordered on the basis of them!
...as others have noted; your opinion of a Sabbath release is *the* on to look for :)

Hi @Malhomme, would love to hear your detailed thoughts on this Quadio release, or any other especially if you found any of them at all above a 6 rating?

I did wonder if you like this album at all, and which Quad 4.0 releases are your favorites.
Many in fact. The Deodatos got a 10 from me, the Tomita transfers 10 too. Jeff Beck's Blow by blow, 10, Wired 9 or 10. EArth Wind and Fire, 9 or 10. To name a few. As I said, I did not know really what to expect from a trio with a singer. It is not unpleasant, but not very interesting either. I think, if it existed, I'd rather hear Never Say Die which still is something dear for me while being ver under rated.

Many in fact. The Deodatos got a 10 from me, the Tomita transfers 10 too. Jeff Beck's Blow by blow, 10, Wired 9 or 10. EArth Wind and Fire, 9 or 10. To name a few. As I said, I did not know really what to expect from a trio with a singer. It is not unpleasant, but not very interesting either. I think, if it existed, I'd rather hear Never Say Die which still is something dear for me while being ver under rated.
Oh ok, it's the music you simply don't like here. I could not tell if it was the quad mix, and the mastering, of the music, or both that got such a low rating.

Oh ok, it's the music you simply don't like here. I could not tell if it was the quad mix, and the mastering, of the music, or both that got such a low rating.
An interpretation of yours I don't subscribe to. I wouldn't buy SACD/BR audio of albums I don't like. This is just the surround mix and mastereing I'm talking about. 6 still is above average. I have disliked more surround mixes of albums I adore (Bruford).

An interpretation of yours I don't subscribe to. I wouldn't buy SACD/BR audio of albums I don't like. This is just the surround mix and mastereing I'm talking about. 6 still is above average. I have disliked more surround mixes of albums I adore (Bruford).
Umm, ok.

I love it. What I don't like is the reverb added (?) to vocals (bothers me in first track, less in the others); and some choices like to put parts of bass in rears for example during the solo of war pigs 🐖🐖. But it's how albums were mixed in quadraphonic era. To be honest I'd want it to sound 💪🏻 more muscular but I'm sure it's the limit of the vintage mix

I missed it an they're out of stock. 🙄

Hoping they'll restock sometime soon. I don't think its a limited edition release?

I love it. What I don't like is the reverb added (?) to vocals (bothers me in first track, less in the others); and some choices like to put parts of bass in rears for example during the solo of war pigs 🐖🐖. But it's how albums were mixed in quadraphonic era. To be honest I'd want it to sound 💪🏻 more muscular but I'm sure it's the limit of the vintage mix
I must say that on my gear it IS sounding quite muscular.

There was a bunch of reverb on the Motorhead DVD-A. There might be a time and a place for reverb, but...not sure it's there.

You mean you don't hear reverb in vocals in opening track?
I feel the vocals on the title track and War Pigs aren’t mixed high enough on the Quad. The title track for example, the vocals echo in the rears in a way that really bothers me and lessens my enjoyment of the track. Sounds way out of sync with the rhythm track. It’s there on the stereo mix but obviously not as apparent. Still, with those caveats, this release is a strong 9.

I have the same issue with the Quad mix of “Let Me Roll It” from Band on the Run. I wonder if it is a system-related issue.

Back