Comments inspired by Jethro Tull - A (A LA MODE Edition) [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Repeating comments I made on @edisonbaggins' Life In Surround video review:

I'm a huge Tull fan; they were my favorite through my formative teen years. I bought A on vinyl when it came out, and even hitchhiked from OSU (Columbus OH) to Cincinnati (my hometown growing up) to see the A tour when they hit Riverfront Coliseum in October '80. It was a great show, although I was a bit put off by the white jumpsuits (quite a step down from the various eccentric British outfits complete with codpiece, that Ian used to sport). I also felt the loss of Barlow, Evans and Palmer from the late-classic lineup, and didn't fully appreciate the new members at the time, even Jobson. I rarely listened to A after that, and I never bought it on CD (same for most of the 80s Tull releases). When it was announced that the A book/box was coming, I wasn't even sure I would buy it. I'm glad I did! The album sounds much closer to classic later-70s Tull to me than it ever did before, helped I'm sure by Steven Wilson's remixes, even the stereo version on CD, which is what I usually get to listen to more. I mean, the Pine Marten's Jig pretty much out-prog/folks anything on Songs From The Wood; what a complex yet charming piece. And the concert is fantastic, sonically a big step above Bursting Out and the live material on the previous box/books (I'm not sure what kind of shortcomings Steven Wilson could have been referring to in his mix comments), and also performance-wise -- Ian and the band seem very invested and enthused; his voice is still strong and the versions of old warhorses Aqualung and Locomotive Breath sound fresher than any live versions I've heard since the early 70s.

I'm bummed that my OPPO chokes on a couple tracks from the concert on DVD2, as briefly discussed on the QQ forum; maybe it's a small minority of players/people that will have that issue, but I still wish they'd fix it and issue a corrected disc, as they did for the Thick As A Brick book/box. But that's a small complaint for a very impressive release, which is a great value as always for these Tull reissues. Now let's see if the Broadsword book/box promised for next year can convert me into a fan of that album!

After multiple emails to JPC they have sent an inquiry to DHL. Upon confirmation of lost shipment I will get a refund. But how long to wait for a response from DHL? JPC seemed to be willing to have me wait forever on DHL.
I know there are worse stories here on QQ on delayed shipments. But mine is not even moving from the carrier.

So a recommendation not to buy from JPC if you need them to ship internationally.

After multiple emails to JPC they have sent an inquiry to DHL. Upon confirmation of lost shipment I will get a refund. But how long to wait for a response from DHL? JPC seemed to be willing to have me wait forever on DHL.
I know there are worse stories here on QQ on delayed shipments. But mine is not even moving from the carrier.

So a recommendation not to buy from JPC if you need them to ship internationally.
What was the whole reason for going with an overseas retailer in the first place? It couldn't have been lower pricing. This release was under $30 domestically.

Ok

Another email from JPC quoting their response from DHL.

DHL blames the corona virus affecting international shipments and claims the local delivery company is claiming force majeure due to corona and resulting restrictions on delivery of mail.
So my delivery is unfortunately delayed and Deutsche Post has no control. They also claim significant restrictions tracking down my shipment with their foreign cooperation partner.
They claim normal processing times of 6-8 weeks with now additional delays unknown to us.
Please refrain from additional inquiries for the time being until the general pandemic situation has eased.

So JPC is unwilling to do anything and I am supposed to wait indefinitely,

I note I received a shipment from England within 2 weeks no problem. I am unaware of DHL not delivering in the United States.
I also never had to wait 6-8 weeks before for delivery.
My purchase hasnt even entered the delivery chain.

A reputable seller would reimburse me or resend the article if possible such as Dutton Vocalion has done for others.

I am contacting my credit card company to dispute the charges for non delivery. JPC can sue me.
Then I will order A from a local seller before it is out of stock.

I am no longer a customer of JPC and will never buy from them again.

As I just posted in a related thread: Amazon US has this in stock now for $24.30. That's an incredible bargain for a 6-disc set, done up in the usual high-quality hardcover-book format of these Tull deluxe anniversary reissues. In a few years, after current stock is depleted, it will likely be selling for double or triple that price for a used copy on the secondary market, as has happened with all the older releases in this series. More recent ones, namely This Was, Stormwatch and Benefit, are also still available new from Amazon for around $40 each, and possibly even less at other outlets like importCDs.

Back