Commercial Releases sourced from Old Consumer Quad Media

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I was wondering if there ever was a post at QQ about the titles that came out to retail from the big labels (or small ones) that were sourced from 1970's commercial product.

The two that come to mind are the Rick Wakeman disc and the Black Sabbath "Paranoid" UK disc. Were there any others.

If anyone has more details on the above two releases, or links to articles or references, please reply so this thread becomes sort of a document for fans going forward.

Might there have been others that snuck by everyone without source reveal that you suspect were done this way?

I know those recent-ish Wakeman DVDA reissues were sourced from encoded vinyl. And it sure shows and it sure sucks!

I have to say I might have been none the wiser myself if I hadn't seen some discussion and tracked down fan made copies of discrete analog tape releases. These copies have their own troubles and fidelity damage but they also reveal a lot of damage to the encoded copies from the old lossy analog encoding used for vinyl.

So all current copies are pretty stepped on and we wait...

You must be talking about a different copy of Paranoid than the recent Quadio release? If that one was sourced from encoded vinyl then they knocked it out of the park to impossible standards! (And all other encoded vinyl I've ever heard was apparently botched to the extreme then.)

I've heard a number of random CDs over the years that were obviously needle drops and sounded worse than most of the amateur shared needle drops you find out in the wild. Or maybe they were bootlegs? Pretty sure those Wakeman DVDA reissues were official and not boots though.

Sometimes you try to buy a digital master and find it's a vinyl rip.
Sometimes you try to buy analog vinyl and find it's a copy of the 16/44.1 CD master. (Think volume war era for this one.)
Can't trust anything!

NO! The US Rhino Quadio BluRay was sourced from the Master Tapes at superior resolution and fidelity.

It was the UK disc from 10 or so years ago that was created from the CD-4 album they had. I never bought it so I cannot reference it by catalog number, but it was NOT the new US release

EDIT - Here are the details of the UK release:

LABEL: Sanctuary
FORMAT: 2CDs/1DVD (Not DVD-A)
RELEASE DATE: 2009
CATALOG NUMBER: 1782444

Last edited:
Missed that one. Or dismissed it as botched or boot and then forgot.
I remember it was a good day when I upgraded from a fan made copy of the Q8 to a fan made copy of the Q4. The Quadio day was of course epic!

Are those Wakeman masters really lost? These mixes are especially interesting to me because they sound like they were the main mixes and the stereo versions sound like the rushed afterthought versions. The opposite of how the quad vs stereo mix usually went! Like they were really meaning to put their foot down moving forward with quad. Anyone else think they hear that on these? If yes, any other examples you might know of?

NO! The US Rhino Quadio BluRay was sourced from the Master Tapes at superior resolution and fidelity.

It was the UK disc from 10 or so years ago that was created from the CD-4 album they had. I never bought it so I cannot reference it by catalog number, but it was NOT the new US release

EDIT - Here are the details of the UK release:

LABEL: Sanctuary
FORMAT: 2CDs/1DVD (Not DVD-A)
RELEASE DATE: 2009
CATALOG NUMBER: 1782444
I think you are after info on these?

1706639474271.png

Back