• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Console: Zenith Allegro Allemande Model F946AE quad Console

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Yes, it will do. This is just the kitchen system anyway. An excuse to have a second quad system. And a rare conversation piece.

Q8

I finally got the 8-Track going in the Zenith Quadraphonic console. That has to be The most difficult 8-Track player repair I've ever done. The track change mechanism was messed up and I had to dig really deep to get it fixed. Every time I thought it was fixed it messed up again.

ForumRunner_20160421_192224.jpg

Q8

Good news for my Zenith Quadraphonic console. I got the idler wheel back from Terry's Rubber Rollers and installed it tonight. The Zenith Microtouch branded BSR changer is back in business. I must say, he did a fantastic job on the idler wheel rubber and it was exactly what The doctor ordered. No more slipping. I already have cleaned and re-lubed everything, including the motor. I also installed a replacement stylus which tightened up the sound a good bit. When I got it, the platter was seized up. The cycling gear was seized up. The motor was seized up. The idler tire was worn and dried out. The stylus was well worn. The BSR changers may never have been the best turntable, but it's neat to finally creators one to perfectly functioning. First time fixing an idler.

ForumRunner_20160514_023750.jpg

ForumRunner_20160514_023829.jpg

ForumRunner_20160514_023906.jpg

ForumRunner_20160514_023932.jpg

ForumRunner_20160514_024003.jpg

berninahusq

Dang,
I found the console but no rear speakers. Is it really worth getting? I have a great stereo console now and would have to get rid of it in order to have room for ths one.......been wanting one of these for a while now though........I hate dilemmas!

View attachment 19384
I bought one of these Zenith F947P Quad Consoles new in the 1970s. Today I have it in my garage with two pairs of rear external speakers, one pair is the original pair that came with the console, the other pair I was able to find on ebay (albeit badly refinished but speakers were good). I had planned to refinish the second pair and have four separate standing speakers for each of the four channels (the internal console speakers are much too close for separation). Sadly I never got around to it and moved on to newer technologically current audio gear.

It is amazing how well this Zenith this sounded when used it with a Technics SL-1650 direct drive automatic changer, Grado and Audio Technica CD-4 cartridges, Teac A3040S and JVC KD3030 cassette deck. The two matrix amp settings were crap but the amp and speakers were decent; better than many component systems in its price range. Sometimes when I'd go to local southern California stereo stores and told that this was my quad system, they'd frown. I'd dismiss them are arrogant and uninformed because they never heard one. It surprisingly sounded a heck of a lot better than most quad receiver and speaker systems they had for hundreds of dollars more.

It still works and is in excellent condition for its age, but yes, it takes a lot of space. I have dragged it from place to place since high school.

Cheers,
Ed in San Diego

Soundfield

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I particularly loved the helpful label.....

Capture.JPG

rather implies it's something they thought you might have to do regularly, but good to know you can leave the power on when replacing any of the other components!

Last edited:

Banjo800

I kinda wish I hada bought that console. But, I never use the one I have much anyways. About the only time I have it on is when I'm working on something on the bench. I have my QRX-7001 that developed a 60 cycle hum, so I'll a few hours of listening soon.....