HiRez Poll Davis, Miles - BITCHES BREW [SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Miles Davis - BITCHES BREW

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2018 Japanese reissue of the classic Miles Davis album "Bitches Brew".
This 2018 Japanese Multichannel SACD release comes in a deluxe 7" packaging and features the first release of the 1970s Quadraphonic mix in over 40 years! :eek:

(y):)(n)

81zxtjtpE9L._SL1500_.jpg

61vI-tiS4oL._SL1007_.jpg

Certainly not an album I could listen to every day, but if the vibes are right (for me it's usually late night, dim lighting, etc) it's a religious experience. I can't imagine what it was like back in the day being a fan of Miles' '60s-era material and putting this on for the first time.

Much like the material, the quad mix is quite experimental and adventurous. There is tons of active panning, drums are positioned on a diagonal (FR and RL), John McLaughlin's guitar in in RR, and Miles is upfront with the echoes from his trumpet bouncing all around the room. I'd say the overall use of the quad soundstage and motion effects is comparable to - and in some cases even rivals - AP's DSOTM quad mix.

The sound quality is phenomenal- easily the best version of the quad mix available. I haven't yet compared "Miles Runs The Voodoo Down" on this disc versus AF's Collection SACD though. The new one will probably be my go-to though as I feel this is one of those albums I'll usually end up listening to as a whole.

To top it off, the package from Sony Japan is truly premium. They've done an incredible job perfectly replicating the Japanese SQ LP jacket and all its inserts.

Yes, it's expensive and the content isn't for everyone. But I just have to give it a 10 for the jaw-dropping quad mix. Those who enjoy this album and experimental jazz fusion will be absolutely blown away.

Caveat Emptor - I'm an unabashed Miles fan.

The music speaks for itself - you either like this Miles period or you don't. I do. (Side story - I purchased the original album in 1970 and was so upset with the lack of "traditional" jazz musical structure, I returned it to the record store and asked for my money back. Thankfully, I evolved.)

The quad mix on this new version is fantastic. It is very discrete, which is especially important since there are so many musicians in play. I felt like I was really in the middle of a delicate musical conversation between the giants.

Bottom Line (for me) - This immersive mix and its gorgeous sound ranks in the top 5 of all my multichannel albums. It's easily a "10" on my scale. If you're hesitating due to the price of this set, don't! This version will be your go-to version when you want a deep listening experience.

Just received this amazing offering. Disassembled the package to study all of the bits and pieces before cranking it up. Love what’s provided, but am having one hell of a time re-inserting the cellophane wrapped disc holders into their respective pockets. How is everyone else getting around this quandary?

Just received this amazing offering. Disassembled the package to study all of the bits and pieces before cranking it up. Love what’s provided, but am having one hell of a time re-inserting the cellophane wrapped disc holders into their respective pockets. How is everyone else getting around this quandary?
I know! What a pain... I ripped the SACDs immediately so I never have to go through that again ;)

We're all in the same boat regarding those poly inserts.......Sony must've used elves with tiny hands to initially do it.

Yes, those poly liners are the only downside of the whole package. I sort of crammed them back in there but I left the opening facing out, so that, next listen, I hopefully can just slide the disc out without removing the liner. Even so, there’s still a decent amount of excess crinkled plastic poking out of the sleeve, which makes the whole package a bit less visually appealing!

Oh well...it’s all about the music, right?

Back