DD and DTS 4.0 from SQ

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure! Many SACD from Sony come from old quad masters, and old WB titles have surfaced from WB & Rhino as DVD-A's.

In fact, there is one DVD-A, "Spectrum" that was a cancelled CD-4 release that was actually mastered and ready to go. It never made it out in quad until it was released on DVD-A.

Check DTS Video for my reply...

Attachments

• DSOTM Immersion.jpg
    DSOTM Immersion.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 58,157
This one is unusual, the DD and DTS 4.0 soundtrack was created by using a Tate SQ decoder on the SQ encoded 2 channel master recording.

Have any other commercial multichannel soundtracks (DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, DTS CD) been created by decoding a QS, SQ or other matrix encoded 2 channel master recording?

Kirk Bayne

As far as I know, the only other "modern" commercial surround-sound release produced from a vintage matrix recording is the fantastic Buddy Rich - "The Lost West Side Story Tapes" DVD, which I believe is from the same sessions as the new Buddy Rich DVD. These sessions have to be the best SQ matrix recordings I've ever heard.

As good as they sound, I see little point in releasing new titles from matrix recordings as long as corresponding multi-tracks are available. In the case of these Buddy Rich releases, there are no multi's. The recordings were done straight to 16-channel Tate SQ.

Ther is a nice explanation of how they recorded the program as one of the extras on the Channel One Suite DVD. Both WSS and COS have excellent SQ surround sound. Tab has also done a great DTS of the original cd program "Mr Drums" using his Tate/SQ decoder. Very nice indeed.

Attachments

• Lou CD4.jpg
    Lou CD4.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,070
Hi,
For those of you who enjoyed SPECTRUM, the DVD-A The Best of Mickey Hart, which also features his ex collegue Gerry Garcia, is an absolute must have.

Extremely well produced with judicious use of the surrounds.

If any of you pick it up I'd lve to hear what you think!!

Peter m.

JonUrban said:
Sure! Many SACD from Sony come from old quad masters, and old WB titles have surfaced from WB & Rhino as DVD-A's.

In fact, there is one DVD-A, "Spectrum" that was a cancelled CD-4 release that was actually mastered and ready to go. It never made it out in quad until it was released on DVD-A.

Hi, it is true, that "Spectrum" is now or already some monthes ago realized in Surround on DVD-Audio. But unfortunately it is not the quadraphonic mixdown. By a compare between the title "Quadrant 4" from the CD-4 sampler of WEA Germany (also in the USA?) and the same of DVD-Audio you will listen the different. Both electro-guitars will play in the quadraphonic mix left and right from behind - but listening the DVD-Audio one plays half front or back and the right guitar is full in front. The same mistake by the second title "Stratus", which I have heard from a 4-channel tape as copy from the mastertape. So I (we) will hope, that they will found the 4-channel mastertape for the original Quadro-Sound for "Spectrum" - like the same by "Tubular Bells". Dietrich Räsch

Back