• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Decoding Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Quad Linda

Staff member
[NOTE: I have pulled this excellent post by Quad Linda from one of the Machine Head poll files because this title deserves a thread here at QQ to use as a resource for future surround fans to use as a reference. I had to split it into 4 separate posts to get all of the graphics in! Thanks to QL for taking the time to create the original post. (y) ] :-jon

Actually, there are three surround mixes of this album, which all have been released multiple times:

1 - WB US CD-4 LP/US Q8/US Q4 REEL

2- EMI Purple UK SQ LP/German HorZu SQ LP/UK Q8/UK SACD/DVD-V and SQ encoded CD (BOTH in 40th anniv box)
I'm a Leo & Lazy have different guitar solos from 2ch.

3- WB US DVD-A/Japan SACD NOT from Quad masters, but a new 5.1 mix

IMHO, #2 is the one to own, preferably the DVD-A version.

My first copy of this was a mint UK SQ which I bought in early '73, prior to the US Quad's release. So, this is the mix I've listened to most. I also own the DVD-A (CD size box w/slipcase) and the 40th Anniv box. Although the box has the UK Quad mix, both the CD and DVD-V are lossy. I bought the 40th anniv box for the 2ch unreleased material. The sole 2-ch only version of this album I bought is the UK 25th anniv edition.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
2- EMI Purple UK SQ LP/German HorZu SQ LP/UK Q8/UK SACD/DVD-V and SQ encoded CD (BOTH in 40th anniv box)

UK SQ LP:
UK SQ.jpg

UK Q8:
UK Deep Purple Q8.jpg

UK SACD:
dp-sacd.jpg

UK 40th Anniv box:

German SQ LP:

deep purple sq 2.jpg

German HorZu SQ LP:

<pending scan>

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
So, if there are any more versions around, reply to this thread and we'll get them out there.

I added a few better graphics than what QL had linked to from the original post as some of those links were dead, and I had some of the scans on my PC. If anyone has a better scan of the UK Q8, attach it to this thread and I'll move it up to the top posts.

Now we have a place to discuss this classic rock release that all rookie guitar players (and air guitar players) usually begin their 6 string journey with ;).

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
So, if there are any more versions around, reply to this thread and we'll get them out there.

I added a few better graphics than what QL had linked to from the original post as some of those links were dead, and I had some of the scans on my PC. If anyone has a better scan of the UK Q8, attach it to this thread and I'll move it up to the top posts.

Now we have a place to discuss this classic rock release that all rookie guitar players (and air guitar players) usually begin their 6 string journey with ;).
Australia SQ
https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-Machine-Head/release/2530564

Germany SQ HorZu edition
https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-Machine-Head/release/3351014

Germany SQ
https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-Machine-Head/release/7317150

UK Q8
https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-Machine-Head/release/4790146

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
There's one more Jon.

The 25th anniversary edition. Contains 2 tracks in SQ quad (UK MIX). "LAZY " and "Maybe I'm A Leo ". (y)

Sorry I don't have a pic though. I sold mine when I purchased the WB DVDA back in 2000. Now I want to get it once more as a comparative disc.

-derek

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Tons of versions (geographic and format), but still there's really just 3 distinct surround mixes,as Quad Linda notes. I think that needs to keep being emphasized.
True. We don't have to show every single variation of each mix, just a few to make it clear which is which.

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Was just playing with the files from the US quad mix and noticed something really weird.

I hardly ever listen to the Q4 rip (my version of choice for this title is the UK Quad on SACD), so I guess that's why I didn't notice this sooner- The final track, "Space Truckin", is the only track on the entire album that has vocals in the rears. Suspecting a possible channel swap, I switched the fronts and rears. Interestingly enough, post-channel swap it appears to be almost exactly the same as the UK quad mix. The way the multitracks are distributed is identical- one stereo pair has vocals, drums, and bass. The other pair has guitar panned to one side and keyboard on the other.

They're not identical- The US one has more reverb on the vocals and the UK has dry vocals at a lower volume in the rears- but you can see the visual similarity in the waveforms. I just think it's interesting because the other songs seem to have very different mixes.

UK SACD:
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 2.03.37 PM.jpg

Rear Excerpt: View attachment MHUK_rears.mp3

US Quad Reel (Fronts and rears swapped):
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 2.10.05 PM.jpg

Front Excerpt (Appear as rears in photo due to channel swap):View attachment MHUS_fronts.mp3

Kind of interesting, no? I suppose there's only so many ways you can present the same material (The 5.1 offers a third and far less discrete variation).

One of the best albums ever and the best quad mixes ever- whichever version you prefer.

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The UK mix version I have is a supposedly 'corrected' one derived from the SACD

For Space Truckin', the front 2 channels are vocals and bass and drums. Rear 2 have organ, guitar, some drums (during the solo) and some vocal, but no bass at all.

The version of the US quad mix I have is from a quad reel (Q4) too. The vocals are virtually all (except tiny low-volume spillover) in back as you say. There's drums in front and rear throughout, which is another difference from the UK.

Last edited:

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
[NOTE: I have pulled this excellent post by Quad Linda from one of the Machine Head poll files because this title deserves a thread here at QQ to use as a resource for future surround fans to use as a reference. I had to split it into 4 separate posts to get all of the graphics in! Thanks to QL for taking the time to create the original post. (y) ] :-jon

Actually, there are three surround mixes of this album, which all have been released multiple times:

1 - WB US CD-4 LP/US Q8/US Q4 REEL

3- WB US DVD-A/Japan SACD NOT from Quad masters, but a new 5.1 mix

IMHO, #2 is the one to own, preferably the DVD-A version.

My first copy of this was a mint UK SQ which I bought in early '73, prior to the US Quad's release. So, this is the mix I've listened to most. I also own the DVD-A (CD size box w/slipcase) and the 40th Anniv box. Although the box has the UK Quad mix, both the CD and DVD-V are lossy. I bought the 40th anniv box for the 2ch unreleased material. The sole 2-ch only version of this album I bought is the UK 25th anniv edition.

If I have my facts right, #2 was actually released first (1972), then #1 (1974)...?

Group builder