Decoding Gear for Dummies

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Just beginning to think about decoding. Is there any gizmo that does it all? A universal, like Oppo does for reading optical?
At least for LP and CD (just learned yesterday that some CDs have SQ info on them)?
Or, must one find several different decoders?
Whatever the case, any advice on best units for performance and value is appreciated.

The Surround Master is as close to all in one as you can find. It will do SQ and QS/RM(and almost EV4). The only devices with CD4 built in are ridiculously rare and expensive, only for the UK market and do a poor job of any of the formats. I hope I am wrong but I think the current possible CD4 demogitator from Chucky et all won't have the other two included. If it is and I am wrong, that will be your only realistic choice. Save up now and follow Chucky's posts for further news. That is what I am holding out for, and I already have legacy individual decoders and demogitators. I like the vintage stuff, but if you care about your wife or your budget, you will await the new device that will save you money, space, headaches and your wife. Just look at the walls of sound in other QQ's posts and ask your wife if she is okay with all that and then decide! BTW, if the new demogitator from Chucky comes through and does not include SQ and QS/involve, you are still only in for two devices and a really small footprint as opposed to all the decoders and wires and switch boxes that some of us have, or be stranded in only one or two formats if you are forced to make choices.

Last edited:
So, hopefully the Chucky thing works out. I'll keep my ear to the rail on that. Only other choice for CD-4 is vintage?
I don't believe I've read that it will do any other formats.
Meanwhile, the SM does three major formats. Can you explain where these things go in the signal chain?
Surely they can use the output from a turntable, but what about an Oppo (for SQ CD only, I suppose)?

Normally you would use a multi-channel tape loop, assuming the SM connects like legacy devices. I found that I had nothing but trouble with CD4 until I went with a strain gauge cartridge, which is expensive to buy and keep in styli. I have a few turntables and CD4 magnetic cartridges and none worked well. Others around here have had better experiences. I do not know the secret. My strain gauge set up plays almost all my CD4 discs including the Cat Stevens, but has the odd problem with horns and strings. My Art Blakey LP has a hard time playing. My worn, warped, trashed disc of Jethro Tull War Child plays like a charm.

Back