Decoding quad tracks on Allman Brothers 'Dreams' box set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boojidad

Hopefully this was investigated long ago, but I haven't found a definitive answer yet. Back in the heyday of CD box sets (early 90's), the Allman Brothers released a 4-disc set called 'Dreams'. According to the liner notes, the tracks 'Whipping Post' and 'In Memory of Elizabeth Reed' are both quad mixes taken from the quad release of 'Live at Fillmore East.' Has anyone listened to these through a Tate or other quality processor (even a Dolby PL2) to verify they are decodable from the CD?

They can't be decoded. The quad LPs were CD-4, which is not matrix. The box set just has fold-downs into stereo of the quad versions.

That's what I've heard. What I do know is that it's definitely different than the SACD mix. I'm glad I bought the DTS-CD for cheap a few years back when I saw it sitting on the shelf of a used record store. At the time, I was just collecting... I didn't know exactly what the mix was like, and how much if any it differed from the SACD.

Should I assume the same fate for the quad version of Jethro Tull's "Wind Up" that was included on the 25th Anniversary CD of 'Aqualung'?

Just found another one (quad mixed down to stereo & released on CD): 'Last Time I Saw Him' by Diana Ross. Quad mix done for Japanese market only, never released in the US. Hip-O Select released the CD a couple of years ago and included both the original stereo mix AND the Japanese quad mix (folded to stereo). Wonder if they'll do the same with any of the other Motown stuff released in quad in Japan only.

Just found another one (quad mixed down to stereo & released on CD): 'Last Time I Saw Him' by Diana Ross. Quad mix done for Japanese market only, never released in the US. Hip-O Select released the CD a couple of years ago and included both the original stereo mix AND the Japanese quad mix (folded to stereo). Wonder if they'll do the same with any of the other Motown stuff released in quad in Japan only.

Don't think so, they already did a deluxe edition for Marvin Gaye - What's going on and didn't bother to include the quad mix, discrete or mixdown.

They can't be decoded. The quad LPs were CD-4, which is not matrix. The box set just has fold-downs into stereo of the quad versions.

This is an important distinction too.
A stereo downmix from Quad does not necessarily mean it will decode out to 4-channel again either - it needs to be Matrix Encoded for that, and
that requires either the original SQ matrix, or that the person who did the downmix did an Lt/Rt rather than a Lo/Ro one.
Lo/Ro might expand into pseudosurround, but it will not be the same as the SQ/QS quad.

Back