New Pineapple Thief box set!!! 8 disc bluray 5.1and Atmos!! How did we find our way!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening now in Atmos Variations On A Dream and reading pages:
Crescendo Festival pages 22-25.
Variations On A Dream and (8 Days- will listen later) pages 27-35.
R-1793895-1600212573-4873.jpg

I listened to 8 Days Later tonight, and I liked it quite a lot, and as on all the albums, a top Atmos mix. :)
I am really looking forward to 8 Days as I read in the liner notes, Bruce put two microphones out his window and recorded street noise while recording the music. I'll be listening for that. This is quite the musical journey.

I am through all the albums in dolby atmos and must say I am astounded. Nowhere can you get this much quality content on 1 blu-ray. Kudos to Bruce Soord! Looking forward to the next set. This set is a 10 for content and quality. How many time have we seen a "Deluxe" edition with only 5.1 and high rez for $100 for 1 album. About time the listener wins.

I'm finally listening to this. Would have been sooner but the quads jumped in front plus the ripping took two full afternoons.

Atmos: Generated MKVs and then used MMH to get M4As. Tagging was a major headache.
5.1: Reripped backup copy with MakeMKV and then used DVDAE to generate FLACs. More tag editing but not nearly as much.
Stereo: There is no stereo layer on the bluray. No room I guess. So I had to pull out the CDs. Yes, more tag editing.

Really looking forward to Part 2. Someone Here is Missing is my favorite Thief album.

I was reading about the ripping problems. I have a slim Verbatim external drive (rebranded Pioneer) that's pretty slow. I ripped the BD in probably an hour? With DVDFab, to .iso.
For the CD's I ripped using, what else, Exact Audio Copy. Put all the CD disc info in the AccurateRip database as the discs were not recognized.

I am super happy. I was so nervous popping in the Pineapple Thief Blu Ray into the new Pioneer BDR-XDO8B.
It loaded the titles, all seven for selection in 30 seconds. Now I will select my choices as I already have 3 ripped and report back.
My previous Pioneer ripper took 30 minutes just to get to this point, wow, 30 seconds, I am stunned. BTW, no errors.
Screenshot (94).png

I just ripped with the new Pioneer BDR-XDO8B, I ripped 6 of the 7 and took 33:32. Wow. I have 3 titles already ripped and I could tell by amount of tracks I did not need one of the seven, but couldn't tell the others as some albums have the same amount of tracks.
Now on to Music Media Helper and I will be done.
Sorry that some of you had to go through my frustration, but maybe some learned? I am happy now to find out my previous ripper I guess got old and funky or not up to the task of newer blu rays, I don't know?
This Amazon link for the Pioneer-BDR-XDO8B $119.96
Screenshot of the MKV rip before tagging with MMH.
Screenshot (96).png

I've managed to listen to a couple of tracks and I've get the all the boxset ripped without any hiccups...

Sounds pretty good, mix is really good. I'm not that well versed in The Pineapple Thief but like some of the stuff. I'll get round to some of the longer / heavier music at some point when the mood takes...

Just wondered if there's any associated artwork for the 8 Days / 8 Days Later albums?

I couldn't find anything so decided to mock up another cover, but I'd rather have the real thing if they exist? I want to try and differentiate from the associated albums...

This is what I've used so far...

8 Days
View attachment 93782

8 Days Later (I used a a sightly darker and different CD cover for 10 Stories Down)
View attachment 93785
those inspired me to do something similar.

Attachments

• 8 days.png
    8 days.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 8 days later.png
    8 days later.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
All ripped, ATMOS MKV, 5.1 DTS HD MSTR FLAC, and Stereo CD's.
Tagged, artwork, nice and pretty.
I have to admit, that was intense.
Now to finish listening and reading.
I found this with a record sticking out, cropped out the LP for a color version. I decided to stick with the orginal artwork for Variations----
KSCOPE424-MOCKUP.png

I finished reading the book, I was glued like a novel, a real great reading experience. Tears to eyes in the Little Man section.
I hate to say it, but likely moving on from this thread, thanks for all help and insight.
I have a little bit more listening and note taking, then will bounce to a poll post, hopefully this weekend?
Small note: 8 days and 8 Days Later are the only gapless albums. Some tracks on the other albums come very close but I don't think they are true gapless, I could be wrong.

I do have a question and maybe some who have more knowledge than me will know the answer.
All seven albums have identical track list except Little Man.
Little Man CD- Tracks 1-11 studio with (3 bonus tracks Acoustic and vocals).
Little Man 5.1 and Dolby Atmos, only 1-11 studio tracks.

Book, page 49 shows the 3 Acoustic/Vocals tracks.
Book, pages 51-55, makes no mention of 3 acoustics.
Book, pages 58-59, Lyrics, has no lyrics for the 3 acoustics.

On screen menu, has the 3 Acoustics omitted in the ATMOS/5.1.
Just wondering, that's all.
IMG_4346.jpg

Last edited:
I finished reading the book, I was glued like a novel, a real great reading experience. Tears to eyes in the Little Man section.
I hate to say it, but likely moving on from this thread, thanks for all help and insight.
I have a little bit more listening and note taking, then will bounce to a poll post, hopefully this weekend?
Small note: 8 days and 8 Days Later are the only gapless albums. Some tracks on the other albums come very close but I don't think they are true gapless, I could be wrong.

I do have a question and maybe some who have more knowledge than me will know the answer.
All seven albums have identical track list except Little Man.
Little Man CD- Tracks 1-11 studio with (3 bonus tracks Acoustic and vocals).
Little Man 5.1 and Dolby Atmos, only 1-11 studio tracks.

Book, page 49 shows the 3 Acoustic/Vocals tracks.
Book, pages 51-55, makes no mention of 3 acoustics.
Book, pages 58-59, Lyrics, has no lyrics for the 3 acoustics.

On screen menu, has the 3 Acoustics omitted in the ATMOS/5.1.
Just wondering, that's all.
View attachment 93845
I think they ran out of space, the missing tracks are on the cd for anyone that needs them

Got mine, started ripping everything to my computer. For those saying it should have been a single Blu-ray release, I disagree as the Blu-ray only has the surround mixes; the stereo mixes are on the CDs. I'm very "old school" in my ripping workflow, so I have no issues with the Blu-ray.
  1. Copy the Blu-ray to my harddisk using DVDFab (to cheap to buy MakeMKV although sometimes I feel I should)
  2. Manually identify the content the the .mpls files in the BDMV/PLAYLIST directory
  3. Extract and encode in FLAC using AudioMuxer (I never figured out how to use MMH)
  4. Rename the files using Ant Renamer (copy-paste the tracklist and auto-number the files)
  5. Tag the files using Mp3tag (from filenames)
However, I have one question and i couldn't find the answer (too lazy to go back through the 15 pages of this thread): Are the stereo versions new mixes/remasters or are they the previous remasters that were already published?

Got mine, started ripping everything to my computer. For those saying it should have been a single Blu-ray release, I disagree as the Blu-ray only has the surround mixes; the stereo mixes are on the CDs. I'm very "old school" in my ripping workflow, so I have no issues with the Blu-ray.
  1. Copy the Blu-ray to my harddisk using DVDFab (to cheap to buy MakeMKV although sometimes I feel I should)
  2. Manually identify the content the the .mpls files in the BDMV/PLAYLIST directory
  3. Extract and encode in FLAC using AudioMuxer (I never figured out how to use MMH)
  4. Rename the files using Ant Renamer (copy-paste the tracklist and auto-number the files)
  5. Tag the files using Mp3tag (from filenames)
However, I have one question and i couldn't find the answer (too lazy to go back through the 15 pages of this thread): Are the stereo versions new mixes/remasters or are they the previous remasters that were already published?

fyi - MakeMKV is free. As far as I remember anyway.

The site I got it from (MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD) says its 30 days free use. I bought it, I get lifetime updates, its a reasonable price circa Ā£50-ish (so about $65-$70).
Itā€™s free while still in Beta, you just need to keep updating the registration key which you can find with a quick Google search.

Back