Deep Purple "Machine Head 50 (Deluxe)" 3CD+LP+BD-A w/ Atmos, US quad and 5.1 bonus (3/29/2024 -Universal)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My copy actually arrived yesterday, though I had a migraine, so only briefly listened. I'm not going to say a word until I can properly crank it up and see what up. I seriously doubt that I will be too disappointed by the Atmos mix. It's a different mix, so now we have several ways to listen. Take your pick.
Hopefully you'll feel much better today after some ibuprofen and maybe some coffee which works for most machine headaches I've suffered. Have it with a very light something like a toasted half bagel and cream cheese? Then you can confirm (for us) that this US quad is the best rock title to appear of a vintage 70's quad mix on disc since "Paranoid."

I do believe that with enough pure volume wattage turned up and bass dialed in (if need be) that it's going to sound very nice. Maybe a sub with crossover is the way this would work best, I'll have to hear it myself soon. The drum kit sounding like it was recorded in a real studio. imagine that. Sparkling cymbal work from Ian Paice will be wonderful in quad array.

Last edited:
I highly agree with @cornwall198 (do you have Cornwall speakers),
2024 Remaster CD 1, drums are so much better. the kick left, the snare right on some tracks, the cymbals still weak but at least you can hear them. Whereas the 2024 Remix sounds thin, the 2024 Remaster sounds robust.
The sound stage moves and is not so locked in like the 2024 Remix.
When in car it will definitely be the 2024 Remaster cranked loud, oh well who gives a fuck about Tinnitus anyway.
Well that's it for today, more this week.
Ha ha! No to the cornwall speakers. B&W actually. Cornwall is a favorite vacation spot for my family!!

I haven't heard it yet, but I think some people may be getting too frustrated over this Atmos mix. I'd definitely prefer an adventurous, weird surround sound mix over a dull, heavy frontcentric one. Even if it is bad, at least it gives more to pull apart and critique about what does and doesn't work about it.

Ha ha! No to the cornwall speakers. B&W actually. Cornwall is a favorite vacation spot for my family!!
20 years ago I visited UK to field-test stolen vehicle recovery products. Trekking around Cornwall, the inland areas were scenic but my favorite spots were Lands End and Watergate Bay. Beautiful country!

Re: Machine Head I’ve had just enough time for a quick Atmos listen. So far I’m liking what I hear.

OK. Have listened to it with a critical ear a few more times, and then played the new stereo mix and recent remaster CD through the same setup.

Dweezil's stereo remix sounds fine in the bass department. If you read his comments in the book, he says his goal was to bring out more bottom end and detail in the high end. If you listen to the stereo CD, it would seem that he has done some of that. But it is not translating to the Atmos mix for some reason.

My CD setup does not use the sub, so that might be part of the issue. It's just playing the music through my left and right speakers with no bass transfer to a sub.

In the Atmos mix (folded down to 5.1), especially compared to the quad, I hear more boominess to the kick drum, and I think that is mostly what is setting off the sub. It's actually tastefully done and not overwhelming, which is contrary to a lot of modern mixes. It's certainly different from the quad mix where the drums are very mid-heavy and the kick is very low in comparison to the rest of the kit, though that was not uncommon for 70s recordings. The drums overall in the Atmos mix sound great, I think. I like where the kick level is, the toms have a lot of punch and detail, and the cymbal crashes don't hurt my ears like they do at times on the quad.

But, it seems to me like the bass and organ, which carry a lot of the balls in Deep Purple, have been dialed back. Whether this was to clear some mud or make room for the kick, I can't tell. To my ear, it seems like they were given a pretty aggressive curve on the low pass filter (high pass filter in this case, I guess)-- like in the low 100s. Either that or they're just a couple less dBs in the mix, but to me it sounds like a frequency thing. The quad mix, in spite of having minimal kick drum, does not have this same issue and it's because it lets the bass and organ carry the low end, while the drums still carry the madness and fury that is so effective in DP.

What I'm curious about also is whether some of the liberties taken on this mix were on the original tape. The closing scream on Highway Star sounds suspiciously like a cut and paste job from the opening scream. I actually like it, but I don't want it there if it wasn't on the original tape and is just artistic license taken by Dweezil. Same with echoes in the choruses of Smoke On The Water. Again, I like it, but where is it coming from?

As for the panning and stuff itself, I have no problems. The mix itself is adventurous and well-balanced, never out of whack. I only have problems with the low-end ON THE ATMOS MIX and any potential liberties he may have taken.

Last edited:
OK. Have listened to it with a critical ear a few more times, and then played the new stereo mix and recent remaster CD through the same setup.

Dweezil's stereo remix sounds fine in the bass department. If you read his comments in the book, he says his goal was to bring out more bottom end and detail in the high end. If you listen to the stereo CD, it would seem that he has done some of that. But it is not translating to the Atmos mix for some reason.

My CD setup does not use the sub, so that might be part of the issue. It's just playing the music through my left and right speakers with no bass transfer to a sub.

In the Atmos mix (folded down to 5.1), especially compared to the quad, I hear more boominess to the kick drum, and I think that is mostly what is setting off the sub. It's actually tastefully done and not overwhelming, which is contrary to a lot of modern mixes. It's certainly different from the quad mix where the drums are very mid-heavy and the kick is very low in comparison to the rest of the kit, though that was not uncommon for 70s recordings. The drums overall in the Atmos mix sound great, I think. I like where the kick level is, the toms have a lot of punch and detail, and the cymbal crashes don't hurt my ears like they do at times on the quad.

But, it seems to me like the bass and organ, which carry a lot of the balls in Deep Purple, have been dialed back. Whether this was to clear some mud or make room for the kick, I can't tell. To my ear, it seems like they were given a pretty aggressive curve on the low pass filter (high pass filter in this case, I guess)-- like in the low 100s. Either that or they're just a couple less dBs in the mix, but to me it sounds like a frequency thing. The quad mix, in spite of having minimal kick drum, does not have this same issue and it's because it lets the bass and organ carry the low end, while the drums still carry the madness and fury that is so effective in DP.

What I'm curious about also is whether some of the liberties taken on this mix were on the original tape. The closing scream on Highway Star sounds suspiciously like a cut and paste job from the opening scream. I actually like it, but I don't want it there if it wasn't on the original tape and is just artistic license taken by Dweezil. Same with echoes in the choruses of Smoke On The Water. Again, I like it, but where is it coming from?

As for the panning and stuff itself, I have no problems. The mix itself is adventurous and well-balanced, never out of whack. I only have problems with the low-end ON THE ATMOS MIX and any potential liberties he may have taken.
I just got the set in the mail, and have only run through the 2024 stereo remix. On first pass, it seems cleaner, and perhaps an attempt was made to spread things out more, clearing the center. I don't mind that spatial distance but I do think it removes the visceral punch of the original. The various organ swoops and Gillan's yelps at the end of SOTW are obvious examples of what strikes me as being showy for the sake of the show. To cut to the chase, this stereo remix is ass and I doubt I'll be listening to it again. Maybe the remaster will be better but it's going to be tough to improve on Glover's work.

I will say that the kickdrum is mixed rather poorly. The kick sound wasn't especially great on any mix, but on this new one (at least in stereo), it acts more as a suggestion; you know it's there, it often gets lost in the sound of everything out. It doesn't punch through the mix like it ought to.

Edit: For Atmos, the kick actually sounds much better on "Space Truckin'" compared to other songs.

Last edited:
Ok, looking at stuff, the LFE channel is out of phase with the rest of the Atmos mix, which causes some significant phase issues at times in regards to what gets sent to the subwoofer. I'll send some more info in a bit.

Ok, here's what I did. I extracted the audio from the Atmos mix via DVD Audio Extractor, producing 8 channels. (While I know that extracting audio this way does not preserve much of the Atmos-encoded content, just follow with me.)

I looked at the song "Highway Star", and the LFE seems to be around 239 samples late or so compared to the rest of the mix (at 48 kHz; equivalent to around 0.005 seconds). While this doesn't seem like that much, it makes significant differences to what would be sent to the subwoofer, provided there is bass management for your speakers. I took the first 6 channels of the song and recorded what would be sent to the subwoofer as I played it through my system in three forms:
I may be wrong if something is missing from the mix in my initial extraction, but comparing the one without the LFE channel to the other two, it seems as if the LFE channel is doing a significantly huge amount of work in producing the kick of the kickdrum. The version with the LFE offset also seems to have a notably clearer bass guitar and kick that the one without the LFE offset.

I'd love to know all of y'all's thoughts. I have no idea if it's possible to "fix" an Atmos mix, as I have no idea if it's possible for an average consumer to extract and export with Atmos encoding.. The 239 samples out-of-phase length for "Highway Star" didn't seem to be the case for all the other tracks in the Atmos mix (I've looked at a few of them, and it seems it varies).

I hope if anything, this goes to show how important phase relationships are with regards to what a subwoofer produces during playback.

I'm still testing the waters, probably write a review, haven't done one lately.
Today I listened to the 4.0, the 3 songs 5.1, and the MONO CD live at Montreux.
5.1=so/so
Mono= good for historical value, not to good sound wise but I have heard worse.
4.0=real good, equal to or better than Atmos? hmm, thinking I am, likely going to go with the Atmos but the organ in 4.0 Lazy, wow.
Just need to finish the Live stereo to be complete.

So... not an April fools joke.

Bad is too strong a word but the Atmos mix is not good.

For all the gratuitous panning going on, it's all kind of masked and undefined. There's some new echo delay on the vocals that's murky the same way. You wonder what the weird noise is first and then realize it's half masked delays. For all the thunderous low end on the toms and floor tom - far past the level of inappropriate - the drums are still overall small sounding and compressed to remove the punch. The whole mix sounds front heavy. Opportunities are missed. Original elements that simply sounded big and full are squished. And then all these squiggly murky eq'd pans. Oh yeah, and most of the height channels is the stereo drum mix duplicated to both front and rear height. There are also the pans that cruse through these channels. It is a 7.1.4 mix. But mostly drums there weirdly. And then they still sound scrunched up front!

There's decent fidelity overall. No volume war stomping or shrillness. Nothing just bluntly stupid. The originals aren't award winning mixes either. But the US quad had fidelity and punch over the stereo mix. The stereo mix for this one was suddenly way ahead of their past albums too. This Atmos mix doesn't line up with that.

Weird, really weird. The poll currently has 6 votes and they are all 10s. Yet the reviews in this thread are mixed. It would be good if those who have reservations about this Atmos mix would post their thoughts in the poll thread. I have not bought this set and have my concerns after reading what has been posted here.

Back