HiRez Poll Def Leppard - DRASTIC SYMPHONIES [Blu-ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Def Leppard - DRASTIC SYMPHONIES

• 10: Terrific Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new Blu-ray Audio release from Def Leppard entitled "Drastic Symphonies" which features Def Leppard songs rearranged with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
Surround audio options include Dolby Atmos & DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround

(y) :) (n)

81+AuIvkqrL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm only familiar with 6 of the 16 songs on this blu-ray, so I can't compare most of the songs to the originals. The songs I know all have a hard rock hook I was afraid would be softened by adding an orchestra. I'm happy to report that is not the case.
The sound on the dts-HD master audio is outstanding and the surrounds really enhance the experience. I only have a 5.1 setup but what I hear moving between the speakers front and back and overhead makes me believe this would be a good fit for dolby atmos.
I didn't think I would like this, but it's got some real headbangers and I loved it. I would give it a solid 9 but bumped to a 10 because my wife also likes it. You know what they say, happy wife.

Hmm, quite difficult. My vote is related to 5.1 (and Atmos fold down).

Music: 9
Package: 9
Mix: 5. A bit disappointing. Most of the "action" is taking place at front. Center is not used that much. Subwoofer level is low.
Had to be tweaked.

Because mix is more important than package it's a 7.

And I wonder why Diamond Star Halos wasn't released like this release...

I won't leave a vote because I'm only listening to the streaming version, but I have to ask: why no bass? I mean, I realize this is a Jazz album, but even so - a little bit wouldn't have hurt?

Solid mix, and the experiment really works - I like those orchestral renditions of their classic songs! So sad it doesn't go boom.

I won't leave a vote because I'm only listening to the streaming version, but I have to ask: why no bass? I mean, I realize this is a Jazz album, but even so - a little bit wouldn't have hurt?

Solid mix, and the experiment really works - I like those orchestral renditions of their classic songs! So sad it doesn't go boom.
Gotta revise my statement. I'm listening for the second time today with fresh ears, and yeah, the bass is okay. I mean, it could be punchier but it's fine, you just have to crank the whole album up a bit and judge it on its own merits.

I'm usually not a fan of these orchestral reworking projects, but I gotta admit this one works really well! The new versions of all songs are fresh, interesting and well done. Plus, the guys are in great shape. Can't believe how good the singer sounds, he still hits all the notes.

And I'd give the mix an 8 or 9 easily. Again, this is based on listening to the streaming version, and in 5.1.

If I were to vote, it'd be an easy 8.

Back