HiRez Poll Def Leppard - DIAMOND STAR HALOS [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Def Leppard - DIAMOND STAR HALOS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new album from Def Leppard entitled "Diamond Star Halos".
The album was mixed in Dolby Atmos by Steven Wilson. Originally the Atmos mix was only available on streaming sites, but @PaulatSDE has now released the Atmos mix on Blu-Ray as part of the SDE Surround Sound Series.

(y):) (n)

418955954_780594057398722_5404231296436252016_n.jpg

My God! I'm honestly shocked. I think this release has really got it going. Some great tunes, super fidelity and Mr Wilson really did some cool stuff in Atmos. My height speakers are super active, maybe more than most titles I've heard. Very fun release. At about 20 or 21 minutes....my subs freaking rocked the house.

Such a pleasant surprise. Love it. 10

Haven't really given this album much thought since it started streaming last year. Revisiting now on disc just reinforces my previous opinion, a so-so late era album. The Steven Wilson mix is good as usual but the song quality meanders too much. It's as long as Hysteria but doesn't justify the length IMO. Couple good tracks though. Voted 8.

I'm a Def Lep fan but I'm an honest one. I think this is their strongest album since Slang...which is high praise.

It needs a spin or two but most of this album is built on excellent hooks. It starts off rocking and then drifts over pop/rock for most of the album. As great as those early records definitely not but still a strong set of songs and performances.

The mix....I'm playing the Atmos mix in 5.1 and I think it is top notch. One of my favorite SW mixes of late. Lots of layers to play with and every song benefits from it.

I round up to a 10.

First of all, for someone who pretty much checked out after Adrenalize, this album really rocks! It got a lot of good reviews and I hear why. It could probably be shortened by a 'few' songs.

Another great mix by Steven Wilson. The rhythm section just hammers. We need more like this - Evosounds Mr. Big releases, and Schenier's Appetite for example. Give me more 80's and 90's rock 'n roll!

So I'm thinking like a 9.2 But since I'm in love with Alison Krauss, this one gets rounded to 10.

Last edited:
I voted 7. Good music but a mediocre surround mix, at least when played back on my 5.0 system. It's basically lead vocal in the centre, vocal harmonies and ambience in the rears, and everything else in left/right. It only becomes more interesting than this twice in the entire album on a 5.0 system. And as weekendtoy says, it's a bit long and could do to lose 2 or 3 songs.

Maybe they went to town on Atmos height channels, but they need to bear in mind at least half the likely listeners won't have height channels.

I voted 7. Good music but a mediocre surround mix, at least when played back on my 5.0 system. It's basically lead vocal in the centre, vocal harmonies and ambience in the rears, and everything else in left/right. It only becomes more interesting than this twice in the entire album on a 5.0 system. And as weekendtoy says, it's a bit long and could do to lose 2 or 3 songs.

Maybe they went to town on Atmos height channels, but they need to bear in mind at least half the likely listeners won't have height channels.
I have to agree and am surprised because normally Steven Wilson makes adjusts to make the Atmos mix immersive on a 5.1 bed. I am dissapointed with how little is coming out the rears.

The packaging and visuals are really good and production / SW mix sounds great but sorry guys this music is not for my taste, it’s very basic cliché rock. Nothing new, just simple AOR rock. its all been done before. Not to spoil the ratings i’ll give an 8 and sell it soon!

The packaging and visuals are really good and production / SW mix sounds great but sorry guys this music is not for my taste, it’s very basic cliché rock. Nothing new, just simple AOR rock. its all been done before. Not to spoil the ratings i’ll give an 8 and sell it soon!
That's a fair comment, but I think we all know Def Leppard will not change their recipe to success. Similar to AC/DC.

(oops, poll thread...ugh. sorry)

Only bought this to keep up the support for Paul at SDE. Thankfully I did buy it and am enjoying it for what it is rawk n' roll.
This is Def Leppard no doubt about it not much movement from the template (of things i have heard before, this is the first time I have owned a DL album) but if it ain't broke don't fix it I guess
right from the opening chord though the mix is pure Wilson. A tastefull understanding of the music where its going and nice use of everywhere.
It's a great time to be a surround fan.

Back